Betting Talk

2013 MLB Pick Thread

Comments

• RaloRalo Senior Member
    edited July 2013
    I followed Cutter for a long time but got away from that site several years ago. I liked his ideas and stories.
  • BennyProfaneBennyProfane Senior Member
    edited July 2013
    Day of Action
    A's +116, looks like the best side of the day. They're 11 games up on the Angels, so the line seems to be based more on Weaver's past performance than anything else. Pujols might have had some time to recover during the break, but it's hard to believe he's back to 100%. These are two teams going in opposite directions.
    951 Dodgers +146
    Another line based too heavily on the pitchers' reputation. Both pitchers and both teams have practically identical stats, but the Dodgers have shown signs of improvement over the last month or so and are within striking distance of first. They should be the more motivated team here.
    957 Marlins +138
    The Brewers have to be one of the biggest disappointments of the year, and there's no reason to believe they'll improve down the stretch. Should be plenty of empty seats for this one, and the Marlins are getting a good price with the better starting pitcher.
    961 Cubs +136
    Simple system bet. Young team that has gotten slightly better each month against a team that has gotten slightly worse each month. Cubs are on their way to a .500 finish.
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited July 2013
    I like all 4 of your plays--BOL
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited July 2013
    With you on the Dodgers from early this morning and the Marlins but please don't say the cubs are going to play 500 my regular season Under ticket couldn't take it. Good Luck BP
  • eug44eug44 Senior Member
    edited July 2013
    Benny, I was relaxing at home and read some of your previous posts - u have a real talent for writing and I hope you prsue your talent. I highly recommend you read a book called the game by Neil Strauss it's super entertaining and a great read. It basically teaches u how to pick up hot chicks, it works - trust me!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hC0hrqbhx5M&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhC0hrqbhx5M
    edited July 2013
    902 Mets +130
    907 Marlins +150
    920 Royals +155
    edited July 2013
    eug44 wrote: »
    Benny, I was relaxing at home and read some of your previous posts - u have a real talent for writing and I hope you prsue your talent. I highly recommend you read a book called the game by Neil Strauss it's super entertaining and a great read. It basically teaches u how to pick up hot chicks, it works - trust me!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hC0hrqbhx5M&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhC0hrqbhx5M

Thanks! if you're a fan of my writing, you should check out my book, Social Marginalization. No one has read it, but you can if you click on the link in my signature. It's got everything, International Conspircaies, Lesbian zombies, Hungarian tapeworms, and a guy named Benny who just wants to bet sports.
    I've read all of Strauss's books. A friend of mine who used to post regularly on beyondcapping/sportsforumworld lives with one of his exs. She actually cheated on Neil Strauss with this guy, so I'm inclined to believe his methods don't work.
  • JalapanoseJalapanose Banned
    edited July 2013
    902 Mets +130
    907 Marlins +150
    920 Royals +155

Nice work on these today, Benny
    edited July 2013
    Jalapanose wrote: »
    Nice work on these today, Benny

Hey, thanks. I was thinking today about the whole concept of posting forum picks and why people do it. In some cases, like BG, it's a case of an established pro just wanting o help people. We're all basically anonymous here, and it's always been really hard for me to tell from a person's posting history whether they're worth following. Two recent posters, Dr. H and Baserunner seem to really know what they're doing, but I'm reluctant to tail their picks since I don't know for sure. And I'm sitting here, still doing the same thing from the beyondcapping days, betting my own ideas for the same amounts of money. Taking a few years off to pretend to be a 32 year old college student probably hurt me more than it helped, but whatever.
    Still in Laughlin, still 120 degrees in the shade. Playing in a bj tournament at the Tropicana this weekend, and I ran horribly during the morning session. Havent been able to play any live bj this weekend, since the town is inexplicably crowded.
    edited July 2013
    Yankees +121
    edited July 2013
    955 Padres +110
    Have a feeling that the Brewers are going to go into freefall with the news of Braun's suspension. Lots of futures are in jeopardy.
    edited July 2013
    905 Padres +141
    Have no problem fading the Brewers as a heavy favorite.
    edited July 2013
    Stopped in at the Golden Nugget and bet the Phillies at +160 and the Blue Jays at +102. No strong opinion on either game, just betting what I thought was good numbers.
    edited July 2013
    961 Cubs +154
    974 Royals +130
    977 Twins +174
    edited July 2013
    902 Nationals +115
    915 Astros +195
    edited July 2013
    Marlins +139
    Royals +155

Hamilton +4
    edited July 2013
    Padres +142
    edited August 2013
    963 White Sox rline -105
    It was hard not for me to bet the +218 when it came up at Golden Nugget, and it was one of the times when being a sports fan actually works against you. Two teams clearly moving in opposite directions, but given Santiago's recent form, it's hard to imagine him getting lit up.
    edited August 2013
    Doing the same thing today.
    915 RL at +110 seems good enough. Squares here can't get over the fact that Scherzer is 14-1, and you "only" have to lay -250 on him against a last place team. Give me all of that.
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    915 RL at +110 seems good enough. Squares here can't get over the fact that Scherzer is 14-1, and you "only" have to lay -250 on him against a last place team. Give me all of that.

Was just about to post the WSox ML. RL is good, too.
    edited August 2013

Plus, Plus never a bad thing. The only thing is they always rape YOU on the price starting a few years back. That's when they use to get killed on ++
    edited August 2013
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    Plus, Plus never a bad thing. The only thing is they always rape YOU on the price starting a few years back. That's when they use to get killed on ++

+1.5 +110 is almost exactly the same as +240 with the given total and playing the road team. There's no raping happening here.
    edited August 2013
    Dr. H wrote: »
    +1.5 +110 is almost exactly the same as +240 with the given total and playing the road team. There's no raping happening here.

Times have changed, there's was lets use for an EX: LAA Tonight Weaver -160 -1.5 Runs +115 that use to be +35 they used a 95 cent # for Home Team and 50 cent Road EX Weaver -130 fav on the road -1.5 runs +120. Maybe math has changed and I won't argue Math with you but with the so called lively ball which we know now what it really was they were getting killed on the run line and things slowley changed. But your the Math guys I just know what it was and how it's changed.
    edited August 2013
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    Times have changed, there's was lets use for an EX: LAA Tonight Weaver -160 -1.5 Runs +115 that use to be +35 they used a 95 cent # for Home Team and 50 cent Road EX Weaver -130 fav on the road -1.5 runs +120. Maybe math has changed and I won't argue Math with you but with the so called lively ball which we know now what it really was they were getting killed on the run line and things slowley changed. But your the Math guys I just know what it was and how it's changed.

I can't speak to what it used to be, but a flat rate like that is a horrific way to do it and I can see why it's changed.. Most ML and RL now offer the same expectation, sometimes one or the other is slightly better. Like you said, it's just math.
    edited August 2013
    Ok, I'm in one of my moods, and I need a favor from the only people in the world I trust: bettingtalk.com

Rate the following girl on a scale of 1-10:

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/ms_miyu

I can't say why I need this, but it's very important to me.
    edited August 2013
    Ok, I'm in one of my moods, and I need a favor from the only people in the world I trust: bettingtalk.com

Rate the following girl on a scale of 1-10:

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/ms_miyu

I can't say why I need this, but it's very important to me.

This user restricts their profile to OkCupid members only. Sign in or create an account.
    edited August 2013
    Dodgers +140
    Astros +188
    Twins +145
    edited August 2013
    Marlins +185
    edited August 2013
    Giants +122
    Dodgers +128

I am back in Jean.
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    Giants +122
    Dodgers +128

I am back in Jean.

You forgot to pick up TBC along the way.