Betting Talk

Buffettgambler 2015 MLB Discussion Thread

Comments

• bcl4bcl4 Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    Goats wrote: »
    FWIW, posters are encouraged to help enforce the site rules and record keeping guidelines.

Exactly, the main reason I like this forum is because posters have to to keep an accurate and frequently updated record, at least in theory. In practice, that often doesn't happen, and anytime someone calls a poster out on it, you got two other people jumping to his defense and saying "add it up yourself" or "he'll update it when he gets around to it." I've never understood that.
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    Not updating your record in weeks like this when you're aware that people are asking and following is deceitful and irresponsible. The guy knows people follow him and is deliberately avoiding posting an update because he's lost units. There's just not a good reason for that. He obviously has the time since he's still up in here yoshing away like crazy.

2015: 326-312, -4.69

Last two years combined:

681-681, -64.74

I may be off by a bit, I did this relatively quickly. But at least I've taken the effort to try to update people, unlike BG himself.
    edited October 2015
    BG CFB 2015:

11-24, -15.6
  • golfer1000golfer1000 Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    Dr. H wrote: »
    BG CFB 2015:

11-24, -15.6

Lol. Started 5-0 too.
  • duritodurito Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    Not updating your record in weeks like this when you're aware that people are asking and following is deceitful and irresponsible. The guy knows people follow him and is deliberately avoiding posting an update because he's lost units. There's just not a good reason for that. He obviously has the time since he's still up in here yoshing away like crazy.

2015: 326-312, -4.69

Last two years combined:

681-681, -64.74

I may be off by a bit, I did this relatively quickly. But at least I've taken the effort to try to update people, unlike BG himself.

Who cares? Will you be posting your previous records on your site anytime soon?
    edited October 2015
    durito wrote: »
    Who cares? Will you be posting your previous records on your site anytime soon?

I assume the people following him and the several posters requesting a record update might care. Or the people wondering if he's worth following. Could be wrong though.

My records for the last 2 years are up on my site every day. I'm up 142 units, thanks for asking.
  • duritodurito Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    I assume the people following him and the several posters requesting a record update might care. Or the people wondering if he's worth following. Could be wrong though.

My records for the last 2 years are up on my site every day. I'm up 142 units, thanks for asking.

Anyone following him after last year is nuts. Why only last 2 years?
  • munson15munson15 Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    If my tally was incorrect I apologize...there were multiple no actions the final week based on pitching changes which made compilation difficult
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited October 2015
    BG - Several posters have asked for a record update, but you haven't addressed it. Can you please update your records, or at least let us know when we should be expecting a record update? As you know, it's not required to update a record daily (or ever weekly), however we're approaching a month since the last update. Thanks and good luck.
  • lakemonsterlakemonster Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    TommyL wrote: »
    BG - Several posters have asked for a record update, but you haven't addressed it. Can you please update your records, or at least let us know when we should be expecting a record update? As you know, it's not required to update a record daily (or ever weekly), however we're approaching a month since the last update. Thanks and good luck.

he'll update it as soon as he gets hot again. the practice of not updating your record during a downswing is quite common in the wannabe tout world.
  • RightAngleRightAngle Admin
    edited October 2015
    durito wrote: »
    Why only last 2 years?

No time to answer that one I guess after compiling other cappers records for them.
  • bcl4bcl4 Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    RightAngle wrote: »
    No time to answer that one I guess after compiling other cappers records for them.

Laughable that you post this without a single word about BG brazenly and intentionally ignoring the record keeping rules at your own forum.
    edited October 2015
    bcl4 wrote: »
    Laughable that you post this without a single word about BG brazenly and intentionally ignoring the record keeping rules at your own forum.

Him not updating his record has been well chronicled, and addressed by mods. It's not like he's being protected or getting away with anything. Keeping a record isn't even a requirement.

Throwing rocks from a glass house is a lot more laughable to me.
  • bcl4bcl4 Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    To be clear, I wasn't trying to defend Jeff or anything, although fwiw I would bet most everyone on this forum including you would gladly bet his picks going forward.
    Him not updating his record has been well chronicled, and addressed by mods. It's not like he's being protected or getting away with anything. Keeping a record isn't even a requirement.

Yea keeping a record isn't a requirement, but how about starting out keeping a record when you're plus units, then stopping when you go negative? Because he has done that in all three of his picks threads and no mod said anything about it until multiple people complained.
  • winner_13winner_13 Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    I am just happy B.G is still posting. Posters can calculate the units W/L if they wanted too.
    I look forward to BG's NCAA basketball picks.
  • underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    WTF is going on in this thread? :eating:
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited October 2015
    winner_13 wrote: »
    I am just happy B.G is still posting. Posters can calculate the units W/L if they wanted too.
    I look forward to BG's NCAA basketball picks.

That's not really how it works when you choose to keep a record here and I'm pretty sure you know that already. We have guidelines for a reason.
    edited October 2015
    His failure to update his record and the fact that he has been losing has been thoroughly pointed out. It's not like we're going to ban him over it.
    edited October 2015
    His failure to update his record and the fact that he has been losing has been thoroughly pointed out. It's not like we're going to ban him over it.

No, you'll just wait until he goes on a nice run at some point and then promote him again, leading more sheep to the slaughter.
    edited October 2015

Including his record from last year was a bit over the top, I admit. But providing posters with information about his record this year should be appreciated, not responded to in this way. The rules encourage posters to assist with this, as well they should.

2 yrs is when BG's service and my own started. I thought it was obvious.
  • StJoes0610StJoes0610 Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    I feel like everyone is always suspicious that Ed and the team are allowing BG or someone else promoted to get away with something, but I never see it that way. What exactly does Ed/RAS/BT get by doing that? Maybe they look dumb if the promoted service doesn't do well but there are plenty of people on this site who have done weird things with their record keeping and they don't get called on it. The mods here do a good job overall and I feel like any promoted service isn't going to get away with anything. look at BG he (rightfully so) has been called out by multiple posters not like it isn't obvious what's going on.
    edited October 2015
    No, you'll just wait until he goes on a nice run at some point and then promote him again, leading more sheep to the slaughter.

LOL. Isn't that exactly what you did? Except with a name change.

You expect and demand responses from BG, but you have now ignored Durito's question for 8 days, and you are the one who is charging money for picks.

Yes, pointing out recordkeeping issues provides a value to the forum, (no different than Durito's questions to you) but when you sell picks and have done shady shit in the past yourself it's a bit too rich to let go.
  • cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited October 2015

You expect and demand responses from BG, but you have now ignored Durito's question for 8 days, and you are the one who is charging money for picks.

Yes, pointing out recordkeeping issues provides a value to the forum, (no different than Durito's questions to you) but when you sell picks and have done shady shit in the past yourself it's a bit too rich to let go.

Bazinga!
    edited October 2015

I do expect and demand answers from BG, but even more so i expect you to stop using someone who is clearly - EV to promote your forum, especially given that you admitted you've no clue about the market or his line value.

Do you think I led sheep to slaughter? Do you think I'm +EV? I would think you'd agree that the previous 1000 plays are more indicative of future performance than the last 1000 than the 1000 before that, etc. I've worked my ass off and improved, and I think the results CLEARLY show that.
    edited October 2015
    I do expect and demand answers from BG, but even more so i expect you to stop using someone who is clearly - EV to promote your forum, especially given that you admitted you've no clue about the market or his line value.

Do you think I led sheep to slaughter? Do you think I'm +EV? I would think you'd agree that the previous 1000 plays are more indicative of future performance than the last 1000 than the 1000 before that, etc. I've worked my ass off and improved, and I think the results CLEARLY show that.

Maybe I'm crazy naive but what exactly has Ed done to use BG to promote his forum? maybe sent one tweet? Also, again maybe I'm naive but how much does a few clicks really mean to his bottom line, and even asking that I don't feel like he's used BG to generate those clicks. I feel like everyone throws this accusation out at him but is it really that meaningfully affecting his bottom line? To the point where a guy who has spent 20 years proving his upstanding reputation in an industry where it's so hard to do that would decide this is the spot to cut curlers promoting some handicapper he has a loose affiliation to? I'm genuinely asking if there's some motive I'm missing because it doesn't add up to me.
    edited October 2015
    I've discussed a lot of this with Ed of board and I would prefer just not to discuss it anymore. Good luck to everyone today.
    edited October 2015

I won't use BG in tweets anymore, you have my word.

Don't know. Don't know. Probably. Lifetime record still isn't transparent.

Your WA CBB won in 2013-14 (started on forum) and lost last year. Two good MLB years, but again one was started on forum. Hard to put a lot of weight on those initial seasons as they are a bit of a free roll. I certainly congratulate you on your success, but I am probably not as impressed as most.
    edited October 2015
    Glad I'm here to help, I'll just see myself out. :smoking:
  • lakemonsterlakemonster Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    StJoes0610 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm crazy naive but what exactly has Ed done to use BG to promote his forum? maybe sent one tweet? Also, again maybe I'm naive but how much does a few clicks really mean to his bottom line, and even asking that I don't feel like he's used BG to generate those clicks. I feel like everyone throws this accusation out at him but is it really that meaningfully affecting his bottom line? To the point where a guy who has spent 20 years proving his upstanding reputation in an industry where it's so hard to do that would decide this is the spot to cut curlers promoting some handicapper he has a loose affiliation to? I'm genuinely asking if there's some motive I'm missing because it doesn't add up to me.

ya, apparently you are crazy naive - BG sold picks under the the RAS tout umbrella last year, and he had an embarrassingly bad performance (it wasn't just his overall record, but how he blatantly chased after getting stuck)
    edited October 2015
    ya, apparently you are crazy naive - BG sold picks under the the RAS tout umbrella last year, and he had an embarrassingly bad performance (it wasn't just his overall record, but how he blatantly chased after getting stuck)

So you have knowledge that RAS received compensation for BG's service? It seemed to me like he was on his own, how does this benefit RAS unless they were compensated for the recommendation?