Betting Talk

Changes to 2014 RAS CBB Service

Comments

• SquigglySquiggly Senior Member
    edited November 2014
    golfer1000 wrote: »
    It's stupid to use the countdown page. It's way better this way, and it's not even close

If it's not too much to ask - Reason(s)?
  • jmjm Senior Member
    edited November 2014
    I think some bettors had APIs that would scrape the RAS countdown page and bang out max bets at Pinny that were near instantaneous. I think this has eliminated that practice that allows more of the population to get down on a play.
  • golfer1000golfer1000 Senior Member
    edited November 2014
    Squiggly wrote: »
    If it's not too much to ask - Reason(s)?

The countdown page does way more harm than good. Books know the exact time of release to the second. I've had no trouble getting the lines this way. I can't imagine it being any better going back to the old release. I think the overall feedback has been positive and people are having less trouble getting the numbers as a whole. I've thought for years the countdown page was stupid, as long as everyone is receiving the texts at the same time then there is no point in the page. Not having the page prevents people from "scripting" or whatever it is that people were doing. ( I personally don't know what it is but something like it would auto put the bet in when the play was released or something) personally, I can even get down on my phone and don't even have to be at my computer (which is huge). There is no value in having the release page and this new text system has proven that. I can assure you, that if you aren't getting the released numbers now, it will only be worse with the countdown page.

FYI - sorry your not getting the released numbers, that is one of the worst feelings in the world. The few numbers I missed in football all seemed to matter. Nothing in the world makes me more mad.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited November 2014
    It's stupid to use the countdown page. It's way better this way, and it's not even close

Do you realize that your experience may not reflect the experience of others? Just b/c it's "way better" for you doesn't mean it's "way better" for everyone. Personally, it has made little difference to me.
    edited November 2014
    Goats wrote: »
    Do you realize that your experience may not reflect the experience of others? Just b/c it's "way better" for you doesn't mean it's "way better" for everyone. Personally, it has made little difference to me.

Yes I understand that. Let's take a poll of RAS subscribers here at BT and I'd lay -10,000 for the max that it is better this way.

If the text is being delivered to everyone at the same time, how is it any different than the page anyway? The only real difference is no scripts, and books won't know the exact "second" the play is coming. All harm for the books and no harm for the bettors. It's a no brainer
    edited November 2014

Not that it's any of my business, but I'm a bit surprised your not getting these plays before they are released. And if your not, you should be:) (Ed should make this part of your 401k plan:) )
    edited November 2014
    Yes I understand that. Let's take a poll of RAS subscribers here at BT and I'd lay -10,000 for the max that it is better this way.

If the text is being delivered to everyone at the same time, how is it any different than the page anyway? The only real difference is no scripts, and books won't know the exact "second" the play is coming. All harm for the books and no harm for the bettors. It's a no brainer

You're probably right that the majority prefers it this way. My point was just that you shouldn't speak in absolutes or proclaim something is "way better" for everyone, "not even close," or a "no-brainer." There are also other differences between the countdown page and texts, but it's not worth discussing. Glad you're having success with the new release method.
    edited November 2014
    Not that it's any of my business, but I'm a bit surprised your not getting these plays before they are released. And if your not, you should be:) (Ed should make this part of your 401k plan:) )

Thanks. I'll make sure Ed sees this. :) I'm just a lowly forum moderator, not part of the RAS brain trust.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited November 2014
    Thanks. I'll make sure Ed sees this. :) I'm just a lowly forum moderator, not part of the RAS brain trust.

Holy crap. If you're just a "lowly forum moderator", what does that make me?
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited November 2014
    TommyL wrote: »
    Holy crap. If you're just a "lowly forum moderator", what does that make me?

A "lowly forum super moderator"
  • duritodurito Senior Member
    edited November 2014
    jm wrote: »
    I think some bettors had APIs that would scrape the RAS countdown page and bang out max bets at Pinny that were near instantaneous. I think this has eliminated that practice that allows more of the population to get down on a play.

This should be even easier off a text message/email
    edited November 2014
    Since were on the topic I do have a recommendation. Since the IPhone is the popular phone of choice these days, I would like to see the play delivered this way.

Current way:
    RAS Side
    Rot. = 540
    Play = San Jose State +4
    Rating: 1.50

Having it that way the full message will not appear on the home screen without having to click on the message. I can see the rotation number but I still have to click on the message to see what the side is.

I think if Ed made it smaller like only having the rotation number and play I might be able to see the full message (or enough to where I don't have to click on it) Prefer it just say those 2 things than include "RAS side" (we all know that anyway) . Just a thought and not sure it will make much difference, if any. But may be something to think about. Or even having it say all the information but moving "ras side" to the bottom of the message and having the rotation number and side play as the first 2 things on the message
    edited November 2014
    The books don't need to know "the exact second" of release.
    They have time honored methods - limiting; profiling; delaying.

They also don't have to subscribe and would be foolish to do so - profiling (and/or other methods) takes care of that.
    edited November 2014
    Example
    540- San Jose st
    Plus 4
    1.5 unit
    RAS side
    edited November 2014
    Squiggly wrote: »
    The books don't need to know "the exact second" of release.
    They have time honored methods - limiting; profiling; delaying.

They also don't have to subscribe and would be foolish to do so - profiling (and/or other methods) takes care of that.

All these may be true, but I'm curious as to why the release page would be better for you?
  • winupwinup Senior Member
    edited November 2014
    Example
    540- San Jose st
    Plus 4
    1.5 unit
    RAS side

with the side it ok we still see the rotation number but with the total we have to go to the message to see it over or under
  • winupwinup Senior Member
    edited November 2014
    Example
    705 over 145
    (DETROIT U vrs MICHIGAN)
    1unit
    i think better way release the total like this
  • hornsfanhornsfan Senior Member
    edited November 2014
    durito wrote: »
    This should be even easier off a text message/email

really? value your opinion and I would not have thought this to be the case. regardless, i am having a much easier time getting the number or close enough to it compared to years past or even this year's NCAAF season. I am on delay at two outs but am still able to get most of them through, which was never the case last year. I was assuming that was b/c the scripts were taken out of the equation and the playing field had been somewhat normalized, but maybe i am being naive?
    edited November 2014
    Making a script to auto bet the 2nd a countdown hits 0 or the second you get an email from raspicks isn't really any different. I bet whomever does that it took about 15 minutes to change the script. The issue now is who gets the emails/texts first, there is no way everyone gets them at the same time.

I remember years back when I just started out gambling a bunch of us went in on dr bob when he was winning like crazy, one week the email came and I looked up and pinny had already moved every game on the board 3pts (this was back when they took 20k on thursday mornings). They'd subscribed and they managed to get the email faster.

Anyone with the technology to autobet these probably isn't reall worried with pinny and their half the board still circled to $500 nonsense, they are probably hitting tons of pph's. The issue with getting the plays in is where is your book getting it's line feed from and how fast are they adjusting. I'd guess the release times and lower # of plays have just as much if not more to do with people getting the plays in this year, but that's just a guess I'm not subscribing.
    edited November 2014
    The issue with getting the plays in is where is your book getting it's line feed from and how fast are they adjusting. I'd guess the release times and lower # of plays have just as much if not more to do with people getting the plays in this year, but that's just a guess I'm not subscribing.

Perhaps the 2 reasons you cite plus not a set daily release time.

Also there is no way to know when people report no problem getting the number or close to it :

a) Bet amounts they're allowed

b) Is getting the number getting +5.0 rather than 5.5?
    -115? -120? -130?
    [not related to hornsfan's post specifically - I just wonder in general]
  • BeardedTacoBeardedTaco Senior Member
    edited November 2014
    jm wrote: »

The same bettor has been doing it for a lot of steviey releases last 2 years and has just now figured out how to do it for the new RAS release method. His account is flagged for CBB and any limit bet he makes takes the game of the board at pinn which has a trigger effect on a lot of other shops you may want to place a bet at.
    edited November 2014
    As of last year pinny was actively taking measure to prevent auto-betting on their site (this may have just been an issues with internet resources not that they cared about getting bets that way). Now they have a full fledged api that encourages it. I wouldn't have been able to code such a script last year, but now it'd be really easy, already making a decent # of bets that way now.
    edited November 2014
    Making a script to auto bet the 2nd a countdown hits 0 or the second you get an email from raspicks isn't really any different. I bet whomever does that it took about 15 minutes to change the script. The issue now is who gets the emails/texts first, there is no way everyone gets them at the same time.

I remember years back when I just started out gambling a bunch of us went in on dr bob when he was winning like crazy, one week the email came and I looked up and pinny had already moved every game on the board 3pts (this was back when they took 20k on thursday mornings). They'd subscribed and they managed to get the email faster.

Anyone with the technology to autobet these probably isn't reall worried with pinny and their half the board still circled to $500 nonsense, they are probably hitting tons of pph's. The issue with getting the plays in is where is your book getting it's line feed from and how fast are they adjusting. I'd guess the release times and lower # of plays have just as much if not more to do with people getting the plays in this year, but that's just a guess I'm not subscribing.

that must be part of it and likely answers most of my question - the text is seeming to come through quicker than the email (at least from my observation), which gives me those few seconds to get in front of those with a script tied to email.

regarding Dr. Bob, please tell me this was the group that organized on PF's and that i was a participating member of. that would give me a good laugh for the day as i was never close on those releases.

regarding your final paragraph, I believe that variable of where the PPH's are sourcing their lines from has been controlled for in my example as i am using the same two PPH shops that i have been for the past few years and have been on delay with them pretty much the entire time. so, the main thing would be the number of plays and variable release times can only be helping i would think.

in an unrelated note, anybody dealt with any of the PPH's changing the line against you on non-steam plays and then immediately coming back and posting the line you were trying to bet? I don't love the fact that they often adjust their number by a half point simply b/c they can while the wager is processing, but i get it as i am on delay and that is what they can do. what has happened a ton this year that is pissing me off is having them adjust some amounts down by 10-20 cents (mainly props), accept my wager at the worse number, and then immediately hang the initial number back up. venting sometimes helps so forgive the lengthy post...
    edited November 2014
    Yes that was it, though I was getting the email first and then forwarding it and I still wasn't getting the lines.

The line move is a not uncommon tactic at crappy books. Betus has a setting that will automove any line certain accounts try to bet. So they could have -5 all day and if you dont bet they will still have -5, but if you try to bet it it becomes -5.5. I think it was betislands that once told me all 20 props on my ticket had moved. Seems unlikely.
    edited November 2014
    Also, making an app that bet off a text into your phone wouldn't be that difficult either.
    edited November 2014
    Yes that was it, though I was getting the email first and then forwarding it and I still wasn't getting the lines.

The line move is a not uncommon tactic at crappy books. Betus has a setting that will automove any line certain accounts try to bet. So they could have -5 all day and if you dont bet they will still have -5, but if you try to bet it it becomes -5.5. I think it was betislands that once told me all 20 props on my ticket had moved. Seems unlikely.

right, but say they move and you decide not to play it. do they hold at the inflated price or bring it back down? book last night was bringing it back down right after i went ahead and played the worse number they adjusted to. felt like they were taunting me saying, "you are on delay, we can move the lines at our discretion, deal with it." sucked but the prices post move were still attractive so ended up playing most.

been dealing with them adjusting half points and the juice for years, but never had them come right back and offer the initial price like they have been doing on some plays this year.
    edited November 2014
    Right, so the line will stay -5, only to you can bet -5.5 or +4.5
    edited November 2014
    This was happening to me for about a 4 week stretch in college football this year. When I went to bet on one of my accounts, ( and I was a on a delay with this account too) the line would always change, and never in my favor. It was exactly what you guys are describing. Talk about pissed off is right. Needless to say, I'm not playing there anymore. Maybe we were/are dealing with the same person hornsfan
  • lakers22lakers22 Senior Member
    edited November 2014
    great day to decide to turn on the 2nd half plays..1.5 no good...ready for the units to head north of south...lets go ras..time to start winning
  • jmjm Senior Member
    edited November 2014
    Placed my 1st actoin today. Got all the games at released lines and was even to get the same game at different books (can't do that with CFB) . Thumps up to the new process.

Unfortunately my OT magic was used up in Sam Houston last night.