Betting Talk

danshan thread

Comments

• danshandanshan Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    I think a ton of this garbage actually influences people's plays. I cant believe that you would think them being horrible as HD's, they were just horrible as HD AF HF AD during that time, the situation did not matter at that time
  • jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    danshan wrote: »
    they were made up statements, I did not use actual examples. I was trying to understand why these type things are so popular and what value do they actually have and if somehow they are not reflected in the line.

I mean if you say Yankees are better than the Barnstormers and the line is Yankees -240, isnt that statement kind of apparent already in the line?

they mean dick , trust me , put blinders on buddy
    edited July 2019
    market is flipping on tha ham game ,see late money coming in , If that line hit +3 i was going to bet it ...hey they opened as a fav and like OT someone like the dog on the open and ham became a 2.5 dog ....pass i guess
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    I got so busy checking stuff among a few other things I forgot it was a 4pm game or I would have bet the Ti-Cats +2 and maybe a little ML
    If anyone is on them here GL.
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    I am asking a legitimate question I spend a few minutes on twitter a day and I keep seeing from lets say fairly credible twitter guys things like

Yankees won 5 in a row
    Paxton is 6-1 with a 1.87 era in his last 5 starts
    Orioles have won 3 straight road games as dogs

I will say I think these types of things may play in the line but what is the significance other than some maybe if actually matter adjustments to the betting line?

I wrote baseball quotes but you see these type of things from every sport, what gives??

There is no significance. These are people providing information that they think people might find interesting and they make money providing that type of information or giving the appearance of having knowledge. I have seen many people provide this type of information. I have seen very few actually use it except for people to maybe provide some backing for a pick in which case it is mostly just provided as reading material.
    edited July 2019
    I hear this garbage all the time and just am like what the heck is the relevance.

- - - Updated - - -

this sums it up pretty well

The reason so many of the angles you hear aren’t being reflected in the line is because the market knows they’re nonsense. “How can this team be laying -150 when they’re 3-9 on Thursdays?!” Market prices aren’t influenced by irrelevant trivia.
    Think about the talent that shapes those 150 team versions rather than trivia if you want to bet smart in daily baseball.
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    I hear this garbage all the time and just am like what the heck is the relevance.

They are just factoids that are provided as possible notes of interest. It seems like information a gambler might use to win a bet.
    edited July 2019
    Nice

https://fairlay.com/market/ras-capper-preseason-nfl-picks-over-under/?referral=a599f4d5-c046-47db-a630-0fc0bcf2211f

- - - Updated - - -
    R40 wrote: »
    They are just factoids that are provided as possible notes of interest. It seems like information a gambler might use to win a bet.

probably influential for people trying to pick winners and not create a fair line
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    Nice

https://fairlay.com/market/ras-capper-preseason-nfl-picks-over-under/?referral=a599f4d5-c046-47db-a630-0fc0bcf2211f

- - - Updated - - -

probably influential for people trying to pick winners and not create a fair line

It's really just fluff. It is the kind of thing you will see a lot on shows about gambling where guys have to talk a lot and don't have much to say. It's just content. More than anything, it makes someone that does not know much about gambling think they are really putting time into it and looking at all the angles.
    edited July 2019
    yeah sounds smart but does not mean crap!

WNBA All Stars 6 pts a minute is nearly NBA pace

they run about 4 pts a minute WNBA
    NBA about 4.45 a minute

235 is 5.875 pm
    NBA has ran about 7.3pm

so somewhere around 5.84 not 5.87

so 233.5

So I am taking under 236
    edited July 2019
    I dont have a model for the all star game so this is my funny money math on the total, no clue on a winner!
    edited July 2019
    they are going to score 500, holy smoke
    edited July 2019
    CFL great line value lose
    WNBA great line value even though my pick was some BS formula STILL lose!

oh well we shall see
    edited July 2019
    danny boy what are your numbers for cfl next week ?? post them on my thread , thanks
  • LancerLancer Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    Any chance picks/plays can be more clear?
    edited July 2019
    glad to try and clarify, can you give me an example or tell me what you think I am making confusing?

- - - Updated - - -

since I am limited all communications in one thread it kind of makes it hard to find them with all the chat because this is the only place I can chat

- - - Updated - - -

My CFL Projected Lines for this week

<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>
    <colgroup><col style="width: 99px"><col width="50"><col width="54"></colgroup><tbody>
    Blue Bombers

Argonauts

Tiger-Cats

Roughriders

Redblacks

Alouettes

Eskimos

Stampeders

</tbody>

- - - Updated - - -

My Current CFL Power Rankings to be honest I dont think anyone else has better power rankings than I do if so can someone tell me who and where I could really use them

<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>
    <colgroup><col style="width: 100px"><col width="100"></colgroup><tbody>
    Team
    Power

Blue Bombers

Tiger Cats

Stampeders

Eskimos

Roughriders

Alouettes

Redblacks

Argonauts

Lions

</tbody>

- - - Updated - - -

My Current WNBA Power Rankings same thing here if anyone knows of a good source of WNBA Power Rankings let me know

<colgroup><col style="width: 100px"><col width="100"></colgroup><tbody>
    Team
    Rankings

Mystics

Sun

Aces

Sparks

Mercury

Storm

Lynx

Sky

Fever

Wings

Liberty

Dream

</tbody>

- - - Updated - - -

My WNBA projected lines for 7-30

<colgroup><col style="width: 43px"><col width="42"><col width="83"><col width="50"></colgroup><tbody>
    Date
    City
    Teams
    Mine

7/30
    Phoe
    Mercury

7/30
    Wash
    Mystics

7/30
    Chic
    Sky

7/30
    Conn
    Sun

7/30
    Dall
    Wings

7/30
    Las
    Aces

</tbody>
    edited July 2019
    An example? Really?

CFL Ottawa -6
    WNBA Wash Mystics +5,
    Etc.

Not just your projected lines, et al.
    edited July 2019
    <tbody>
    7/23
    Los
    Sparks

7/23
    Atla
    Dream

7/23
    Seat
    Storm

7/23
    Las
    Aces

7/23
    Indi
    Fever

7/23
    Phoe
    Mercury

</tbody>

- - - Updated - - -

Edmonton -9
    BC Lions U52

- - - Updated - - -

Dream Over 148.5

I do as you can see here my picks but it is all mixed in a big pile of conversations, maybe I will put actual picks in ALL CAPS or something. I think some people like the Power Rankings and me and Jets play the what line do you have game which I enjoy. But I will try and clarify my picks a bit better. no one seems to interested in my picks really anyway, I am not sure anyone even sees them as more than something to laugh at, LOL
    edited July 2019
    Obv I’m interested, dude, thx for all you do, was not meant as a criticism, just imo you did not always be clear in your posts, was sometimes inferred by your power rankings.
    edited July 2019
    dude, two things you can say about me that are for sure

never stop communicating probably talk in my sleep IF I sleep
    and about as clear as a mud puddle and I write like I am 5 years old ( maybe younger)

I will try this

BET
    7/30 CLIPPERS -120

hope that will help!
  • rookrook Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    Danshan you and I have entered a phase in our relationship where I owe you a lot more than you owe me. Simply due to your WNBA side bet picks. Therefore, besides the occasional question, I have little more to say than “Go, danshan!”
    edited July 2019
    thanks all the support is truly appreciated, I work hard on the WNBA model and its pretty darn good. I play all my WNBA plays pretty heavy and do pretty good on them over a course of a year and a half, small sample still but I feel pretty confident in it.
  • CajunHustle1979CajunHustle1979 Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    Dan - i dont bet BB at all - any League, but i still enjoying seeing your PRs and selections - i enjoy following and learning others process.

The main reason i started posting here in April instead of just lurking was bc i believe its a necessary evolutionary process as a haddicapper - to post your opinions to other credible and respectable players. Not to prove anything, just to learn and refine.
    edited July 2019
    have you read the black cat in the coal cellar? read that book dude and be honest with yourself.

if this is a hobby have fun and learn when and what you want
    if this might possibly be more know that book ask a ton of ?s

how I rate cappers

I look at line the capper bet at and compare it to the closing line
    capper bet Brooks +120 and he closes +124 and that happens kind often CAPPER SUCKS (personal opinion some feel different)

Pokerjoe taught me that anyone can give you a line on a game with the newspaper and a few stats but not many can adjust it down to what it will actually close at once we got the facts in ie weather, injuries and rest.
    so this creates test 2
    what will the line be on the lakers with James on a minute restriction and if you can give an accurate line close to closing on that you are on the right track!

Old Timer teaches the simplest and probably the most important message, Create a fair line
    I take that message a step further I say create a fair line and if that line is not VERY SUPER close to the closing line you are not measuring correctly.

READ
    sharper
    black cat in a coal cellar
    both are really good reads

and if your skill level is above this soapbox moment I apologize for making you strain through it and if not I hope this helps!

- - - Updated - - -
    Dan - i dont bet BB at all - any League, but i still enjoying seeing your PRs and selections - i enjoy following and learning others process.

The main reason i started posting here in April instead of just lurking was bc i believe its a necessary evolutionary process as a haddicapper - to post your opinions to other credible and respectable players. Not to prove anything, just to learn and refine.

I wish I could get that feedback here but most here hate my voice and just pass over my picks and wont say if they are good or bad either way. I hate that because I am honest I might totally dislike a guy but if he has skill or helps me or does or says something done I still say thanks or good job or that dont make sense but some of these experienced guys here cant get past that I talk too much!
    edited July 2019
    Sharper a legit and honest book. Poker Joe also was incredibly generous with his time when I was putting together my CFB and NFL power rankings.
    edited July 2019
    you cant miss black cat in a coal cellar, it is literally the bible of if you are a good capper or not
    edited July 2019
    most people hate black cat because it is eye opening and a real reality check
    edited July 2019
    Sharper a legit and honest book. Poker Joe also was incredibly generous with his time when I was putting together my CFB and NFL power rankings.

do you model the CFB and NFL? do you try and beat the line in the NFL?
    edited July 2019
    Try is the key word when it comes to the NFL. Im not a modeler...notebook pen and excel. Tedious but I enjoy it - UFC takes most of my time.

I may post my #s here for upcoming season.