Betting Talk

BGPicks.com is up and running

Comments

• RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    I don't know BG, his character or whatever attributes he holds. I've seen no bio, just an impressive pressure-less track record. What I do see is a service now playing primarilyfor itself with subs buried or broke with little chance to recoup. Mr Congeniality aka Dr. H, to his credit at some point last year packed it in (sides?) while admitting he couldn't win going forward. This current market model, along with the triple word scrabble verbiage need to abort.
  • underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    Ronbets wrote: »
    You beat Saratoga? Good for you Wraps. With the heat and humidity tough to win at the Spa unless ur moving for the right ppl.
    I moved for some ppl a few times while I was there. They did good but not as good as they do in Aqu or bel. I use the ragozin sheets and pay close attention to overlays at toga all the time because of all the rumors they put out every race the board is all skewed with lots of dumb money.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    I don't know BG, his character or whatever attributes he holds. I've seen no bio, just an impressive pressure-less track record. What I do see is a service now playing primarilyfor itself with subs buried or broke with little chance to recoup. Mr Congeniality aka Dr. H, to his credit at some point last year packed it in (sides?) while admitting he couldn't win going forward. This current market model, along with the triple word scrabble verbiage need to abort.

My reply with still doesn't work so I'll cut/paste your reply.

I agree with what your saying but this is big boy school and to repeat if you haven't completely stop who's fault is that/
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited August 2014
    You beat Saratoga? Good for you Wraps. With the heat and humidity tough to win at the Spa unless ur moving for the right ppl.

Saratoga and Del Mar are ATM's. Too bad they only happen 7 weeks a year.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    I hit the wrong button so to con't.

I agree with what your saying but this is big boy school and to repeat if you haven't completely stop who's fault is that My point is it sucks to lose and we all have at one point or another but this beating a dead horse enough already. The Doc did stop his sides and he did a good thing but he still had something to offer which was total's and he should commended for that. But tell the truth if you were in BG's spot would you just quit? You'll always have hope to cut into you loss's by picking up some units in the last 50 games or so going into next year. I doubt anybody is still playing his games they're just waiting for a refund. It sucks to lose but telling someone about everyday is overkill.
  • retrieverretriever Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    Love the "triple word scrabble verbiage"! The complicated algorithms, the advanced (sounding) math, the reinvention of handicapping baseball. Yeah, right.
    edited August 2014
    I hear ya OT, but the yoshing is disrespectful to the subscriber base. If plays weren't limited to one unit how much would he be stuck now? It's big league no doubt. However, many of the kids here were spoiled by RAS and to some degree SY successes. I guess they grew up fast since April.
    edited August 2014
    StevieY wrote: »
    Saratoga and Del Mar are ATM's. Too bad they only happen 7 weeks a year.

Better you than me. I cringe at the lenght of the Spa stretch. I'll wait until they go back to the city. Del Mar nice retreat.
  • BigKahunaBigKahuna Banned
    edited August 2014
    retriever wrote: »
    Love the "triple word scrabble verbiage"! The complicated algorithms, the advanced (sounding) math, the reinvention of handicapping baseball. Yeah, right.

The best part of that is, when another poster asked him to explain himself in simpler English , he said I don't know how to.
    Really ? How the hell does he order breakfast ? Lmao
  • SquigglySquiggly Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    3 of the 4 futures are going to be losers also, and a coinflip on the 4th.
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    Any chance the 'sabermetric revolution' in the media over the last few years has educated so many bettors that it has taken away most value in the MLB market? Has the MLB supplanted the NFL as the most efficient market?
  • lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    Obi One wrote: »
    Any chance the 'sabermetric revolution' in the media over the last few years has educated so many bettors that it has taken away most value in the MLB market? Has the MLB supplanted the NFL as the most efficient market?

Hasn't it always been that way? -105/-105 widely available on baseball games, even bookmaker ditched the -110 model on baseball.
    edited August 2014
    lumpy19 wrote: »
    Hasn't it always been that way? -105/-105 widely available on baseball games, even bookmaker ditched the -110 model on baseball.

Consensus seemed to be that the NFL is the most difficult market to beat as a handicapper. I remember a couple of guys on here saying: "If you can beat the NFL, you can beat almost every other market". They never mentioned the MLB as such. But looking at the your argument and the growth of the sabermetric crowd, that statement is probably wrong.
  • worm33worm33 Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    Consensus seemed to be that the NFL is the most difficult market to beat as a handicapper. I remember a couple of guys on here saying: "If you can beat the NFL, you can beat almost every other market". They never mentioned the MLB as such. But looking at the your argument and the growth of the sabermetric crowd, that statement is probably wrong.

If ur going to say baseball is hard now because bg is getting crushed couldn't u just make the reverse argument and point to dr h success or paid03 success?
    edited August 2014
    I've considered them too while looking at this argument. And you're right, there still probably are edges available in every market. In that case my question should be: Has the evolution of advanced analytics specifically caught up to BG's model?
    I remember reading in Ken Uston's book that he had a card-counting team in Europe, that went through a 6 month stretch of negative variance at the tables. It took them 6 months to get back into the black with the same counters that had lifted AC and Vegas for thousands every weekend. While it's hard to do given his current record, I'm still keeping the possibility open of such a negative variance stretch for BG's model too.

Another thing which I've seen with many handicappers is that they perform differently in different parts of the season. Some are very good at the beginning of the season. Others are better in the latter stages or in the play-offs. Most of the sharpest guys agree on softer lines being available in the beginning of the season (for any sport). But how do you explain others absolutely killing it in the 2nd half? Just variance? Or are their models a better fit for that part of the season?
    edited August 2014
    I've considered them too while looking at this argument. And you're right, there still probably are edges available in every market. In that case my question should be: Has the evolution of advanced analytics specifically caught up to BG's model?
    I remember reading in Ken Uston's book that he had a card-counting team in Europe, that went through a 6 month stretch of negative variance at the tables. It took them 6 months to get back into the black with the same counters that had lifted AC and Vegas for thousands every weekend. While it's hard to do given his current record, I'm still keeping the possibility open of such a negative variance stretch for BG's model too.

Another thing which I've seen with many handicappers is that they perform differently in different parts of the season. Some are very good at the beginning of the season. Others are better in the latter stages or in the play-offs. Most of the sharpest guys agree on softer lines being available in the beginning of the season (for any sport). But how do you explain others absolutely killing it in the 2nd half? Just variance? Or are their models a better fit for that part of the season?

Obv bg has had a shit ton of negative variance. But he's only beating the close by 0.81 percent per play. That's not going to produce winning results. As far as groups getting weaker/stronger as the season goes on I think that some groups adjust much better as the season progresses where some groups have stronger models for the early parts of a season.
  • 2sportguy2sportguy Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    underwraps wrote: »
    Just got back from Saratoga, been there for over 2 weeks and recouped some of my losses from BG. I stopped playing at the time I left.
    I have to admit this is the worst I ever seen BG do in bases. Real shame

I will be at Saratoga next week..........I know very little about horse racing, have some friends who spend the summer in Lake George.

Can you suggest any material I can use to do my due dilligence so I cat least have a fighting chance ?

Thanks
  • groovinmahoovingroovinmahoovin Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    worm33 wrote: »
    Obv bg has had a shit ton of negative variance. But he's only beating the close by 0.81 percent per play. That's not going to produce winning results.

He actually isn't beating the close at all. The "0.81%" figure ignores the vig, which in my experience, is kind of important in calculating sports betting results.
  • originalokieoriginalokie Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    IMHO

CLV has never,ever meant much to me!!!

All that matters is winning!!!
  • BishBish Member
    edited August 2014
    If ur going to say baseball is hard now because bg is getting crushed couldn't u just make the reverse argument and point to dr h success or paid03 success?

Agreed! This is not happening to other groups. Just because a guy goes bad doesn't mean the market is tougher. It happens.
    edited August 2014
    8/07/2014 956 Colorado Rockies +102 (Y. Flande) vs. Chicago Cubs (K. Hendricks) COL 6-2 WIN -120 +5.04%

You can't get paid on the above.
  • retrieverretriever Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    8/07/2014 956 Colorado Rockies +102 (Y. Flande) vs. Chicago Cubs (K. Hendricks) COL 6-2 WIN -120 +5.04%

You can't get paid on the above.

No doubt it was inadvertent, but nothing like drawing attention to the fact that you are not only getting buried, you are getting buried even worse than you report.
    edited August 2014
    2sportguy wrote: »
    I will be at Saratoga next week..........I know very little about horse racing, have some friends who spend the summer in Lake George.

Can you suggest any material I can use to do my due dilligence so I cat least have a fighting chance ?

Thanks
    For beginners I would first suggest to learn how to read the racing form.
  • 2sportguy2sportguy Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    underwraps wrote: »
    For beginners I would first suggest to learn how to read the racing form.

Thanks, I do know how...............but particular to Saratoga, wht should I be looking for.

Much appreciated,

Thanks
    edited August 2014
    Thanks, I do know how...............but particular to Saratoga, wht should I be looking for.

Much appreciated,

Thanks

Whatever this rep is worth it's been know as the "Graveyard of Favorites."
    edited August 2014

Much appreciated,

Thanks

Like Ron just said its a graveyard for favs. Stay away from drop down in class horses especially if they get bet down.
    Mainly look for Ny based trainers in claiming races. This track is filled with rich tourists so always look for value when betting.
    I can spit out about another 100 angles but I can't because I will upset some people.
  • jmjm Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    He released futures?
    edited August 2014
    CLV has never,ever meant much to me!!!

All that matters is winning!!!

You're wrong, not all that matters is winning. Both are very important.

Say we both make the same two bets on a given day. First bet is a favourite on the ML and the second bet is an underdog on the money line.
    I bet the favourite at -220 while you bet it later in the day at -240. You take the underdog at +160 while I had it earlier at +180. At the end of the day, the favourite loses and the underdog wins.
    - My results are -220 + 180 = -40
    -Your results are -240 +160 = -80.

Say our units were $1K. That gives me a loss of $400 while you lost $800. You did $400 worse than me.
    I hope it's clear why CLV matters.
    edited August 2014
    Just curious, how did bg wind up with sd +104 yesterday? Was as high as +134 and he got them at worst possible number?
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited August 2014

Yeah, let's not jump to the conclusion that the sky is falling just because BG is having a rough season.