Betting Talk

Buffettgambler Discussion Thread

Comments

• kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Lancer wrote: »
    is cingrani's situation here, per cpech's comments, similar to Niese for the Mets y'day (pitching for his season/career)?

He's not even 24 yet and has moved up one rung of the minor league system each year to reach AAA this year for three starts before his call up. He's hardly "pitching for his season/career" here.
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    kdog wrote: »
    He's not even 24 yet and has moved up one rung of the minor league system each year to reach AAA this year for three starts before his call up. He's hardly "pitching for his season/career" here.

This^^^^^
  • JMU_DegenerateJMU_Degenerate Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    kdog wrote: »

Wrong - if you know anyone who has ever played pro baseball - and I know plenty from my time managing a bar in Washington DC... unless you are stephen strasburg (i.e. a cant miss prospect) there is no guarantee you ever get another shot on a major league roster. There is not one player out there that wouldnt be "pitching for their season/career" in this situation. Do I think this kid gets plenty of chances in the future, sure i do... do I think he is thinking that way? nope.

I know guys that were pitchers that thought they'd get another shot after being sent down and never made it back. One is a high school teacher now (insert Eastbound and Down comment here) and the other is a DJ in Cali. When there are 100+ guys in the minor league system for each team (3200+ total guys in a pool of potential players) you certainly can't let an opportunity like this slip away.
  • JalapanoseJalapanose Banned
    edited May 2013
    brentjmu wrote: »
    Wrong - if you know anyone who has ever played pro baseball - and I know plenty from my time managing a bar in Washington DC... unless you are stephen strasburg (i.e. a cant miss prospect) there is no guarantee you ever get another shot on a major league roster. There is not one player out there that wouldnt be "pitching for their season/career" in this situation. Do I think this kid gets plenty of chances in the future, sure i do... do I think he is thinking that way? nope.

I know guys that were pitchers that thought they'd get another shot after being sent down and never made it back. One is a high school teacher now (insert Eastbound and Down comment here) and the other is a DJ in Cali. When there are 100+ guys in the minor league system for each team (3200+ total guys in a pool of potential players) you certainly can't let an opportunity like this slip away.

The apparent lesson here seems to be that when a player is going to try really hard in pro sports, bet on them.
  • worm33worm33 Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    FWIW, this is his last start before being sent down. Reds already listing Leake as Tuesday starter, unless they go to a 6 man rotation for a little while to protect Cingrani/Cueto this will be his last start for a while.
    edited May 2013
    Jalapanose wrote: »
    The apparent lesson here seems to be that when a player is going to try really hard in pro sports, bet on them.

Not sure where anyone said that... I am firmly on Philly tonight and love the play. I simply mentioned "my only concern". It is merely a concern and BG quickly responded as to why he was not worried about it.

If you want to further the discussion, however, Stats/History will back up the fact that players tend to have better than average seasons in contract years... Carlos Beltran is a great example as he had one of the best postseason performances of all time for the Astros in 2004 and then got a massive contract from the Mets... Actually Beltran is a great example of a guy that clearly keeps a little something in the tank for when it matters most.

Beltran has gone deep 13 times in 25 career playoff games while hitting .362 with a 1.297 OPS. He’s played in six different playoff series and has posted an OPS above 1.000 in four of them. Beltran owns the highest slugging percentage and the highest OPS in postseason history edging Gehrig and Ruth.

There are clearly times when you can expect a player to dig deep for that something extra that gets lost in the day-to-day routine of a 162 game season. Smack talk by the other team, playing against a team that traded you or otherwise did you wrong, contract years, playing for a bonus, scoring title, teams not wanting a record broken against them, etc.

Its why so many teams walked Bonds/Sosa/McGwire in blowout games with the bases empty when they were chasing the homerun record (no one wants a record broken against them)

If Scott Brooks had played Durant in the last game of the regular season I would have bet the over on Durant points no matter the line cause you better believe he would have gone for 70 points and another consecutive NBA scoring title.

All I was saying is that i was "concerned" that Cingrani might give a little something extra tonight. BG responded and said he was more pro-Lee than anti-Cingrani and I was sold. Relax with the sarcasm jalapanose, it doesnt further the conversation and isnt at all relevant to the thread.
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited May 2013

Well I guess we'll just have to disagree. For now he goes back to where he was expected to spend this season, AAA.
  • SquigglySquiggly Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Any player changes for seattle/Clev to account for the play back?
  • SquigglySquiggly Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Squiggly wrote: »

Looks like all is well.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited May 2013
    REMINDER: BG's pick thread is for his picks only. Please use this thread for all questions/comments.

Thanks.
  • Teddy kgbTeddy kgb Banned
    edited May 2013
    Goats wrote: »
    REMINDER: BG's pick thread is for his picks only. Please use this thread for all questions/comments.

Thanks.

Ok gotcha....guess that's why post was deleted

Anyway was just saying Hello BG
    edited May 2013
    Teddy kgb wrote: »
    Ok gotcha....guess that's why post was deleted

First, welcome to BT.

Yes, that's why it was deleted. Being new, you understandably didn't go back to the very beginning of the pick thread where that's explained.
    edited May 2013
    Is it a "bad beat" when the team you have blows two saves in one game including one on a fielding error?
    edited May 2013
    Goats wrote: »
    First, welcome to BT.

Yes, that's why it was deleted. Being new, you understandably didn't go back to the very beginning of the pick thread where that's explained.

I don't see a PM function so I have to ask in here.....I don't know what I did to subscribe to this thread but I've tried to undo it and it ain't working, can you help me with that?
  • minimax314minimax314 Member
    edited May 2013
    I don't see a PM function so I have to ask in here.....I don't know what I did to subscribe to this thread but I've tried to undo it and it ain't working, can you help me with that?

• buffettgamblerbuffettgambler Senior Handicapper
    edited May 2013
    Is it a "bad beat" when the team you have blows two saves in one game including one on a fielding error?

Only if one of those errors is a simple botched hand-off from 1B to P to tag first base to end the game and include a blown strike 3 call by Diaz that would have ended the 2nd with a 0 resulting in 4 runs. Diaz was certainly an X Factor today.
    edited May 2013

Hey Teddy. Good to see you here.
    edited May 2013

Try going to "Settings", then "General Settings", then to "Default Thread Subscription Mode", and select "Do not subscribe".

And yes, BT does not have PM's enabled. In the future, feel free to start a new thread if you have a question like this.

Hope this helps.
    edited May 2013
    Hey Teddy. Good to see you here.

Thanks BG...got the heads up you were here and couldn't sign up fast enough...
    edited May 2013
    Squiggly wrote: »

Mariners only got downgraded a couple of cents due to lineups on my end. The market is really trying to stretch out the premium assigned to the Indians during their run. It is quite common to see a team with an upward trending valuation to get spiked most as home underdogs. Should be interesting to see how the market prices in the Indians in their upcoming series.
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Only if one of those errors is a simple botched hand-off from 1B to P to tag first base to end the game and include a blown strike 3 call by Diaz that would have ended the 2nd with a 0 resulting in 4 runs. Diaz was certainly an X Factor today.

Most frustrating game of the season. By far.
  • VOR101VOR101 Member
    edited May 2013
    That was a brutal double blown save by the Mariners.

Does anybody know the YTD for buffetgambler the previous seasons? Sorry if this has been answered but unfamiliar with his background. Thanks in advance.
  • underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    He's an ex employee of Goldmansachs used to write all their black box algos. :)
  • eggmaneggman Junior Member
    edited May 2013
    Thanks to Buffetgambler for a great run since I started tailing a few weeks ago of 21-14 +7.31 units!
  • munson15munson15 Senior Member
    edited May 2013

Umps like Laz Diaz and Angel Hernandez are always X factors. I don't think MLB umpiring has ever been in worse hands than the last few years, and no one seems able to do anything about it.
    edited May 2013
    VOR101 wrote: »
    That was a brutal double blown save by the Mariners.

Does anybody know the YTD for buffetgambler the previous seasons? Sorry if this has been answered but unfamiliar with his background. Thanks in advance.

I'm not too familiar with his background myself, but here's a post from Ed earlier in this thread...

http://www.bettingtalk.com/threads/173248-Buffettgambler-Discussion-Thread?p=794131&viewfull=1#post794131
  • Rip007Rip007 Banned
    edited May 2013
    underwraps wrote: »
    He's an ex employee of Goldmansachs used to write all their black box algos. :)

"that's a lot of brain cells"
  • VOR101VOR101 Member
    edited May 2013
    Thank you goats and everyone.
  • organic313organic313 Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Hey BG is your Reds play for today 5/22 or tomorrow? you posted it for 5/23 just checking. thanks in advance....
    edited May 2013
    organic313 wrote: »
    Hey BG is your Reds play for today 5/22 or tomorrow? you posted it for 5/23 just checking. thanks in advance....

Good catch. Date was suppose to be for today's game (5/22). Hopefully a mod can change the date on that play.