danshan thread

Comments

• danshandanshan Senior Member
    edited August 2019
    Projected Line
    Padres -130 Lucchesi

- - - Updated - - -
    donny2 wrote: »
    When you used to post nba lines, i recalled certain games, you posted numbers that were beyond off. It was where common sense would say that number you put was off.

I don't think you know what you are doing. That is what i think. If you are making errors in mlb, it does not surprise me if you make same mistakes in every other sport.

Also, keep a record of your plays with win loss and plus or minus units. You say you don't care about that. That is what people will be looking at.

I am here trying to learn and get feedback, wins and losses are not things I am interested in getting feedback on. I am interested in what people think of my projected lines, bet at lines and other opinions or things I share

- - - Updated - - -
    donny2 wrote: »
    When you used to post nba lines, i recalled certain games, you posted numbers that were beyond off. It was where common sense would say that number you put was off.

I don't think you know what you are doing. That is what i think. If you are making errors in mlb, it does not surprise me if you make same mistakes in every other sport.

Also, keep a record of your plays with win loss and plus or minus units. You say you don't care about that. That is what people will be looking at.

just for you I will fine tune my MLB and post some projected lines for a few days before lines come out so I can see how I actually do!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you though Donny, I just caught an error I had of a scrape it was scraping pitchers 2018 NPERA and not 2019, thanks for the criticism it made me check closer and that helped me thank you
    edited August 2019
    My projected MLB Lines

<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>
    <tbody>
    8/13
    Max Fried
    Braves

8/13
    Mike Clevinger
    Indians

8/13
    Matthew Boyd
    Tigers

8/13
    Ivan Nova
    White Sox

8/13
    Chase Anderson
    Brewers

8/13
    Glenn Sparkman
    Royals

8/13
    Madison Bumgarner
    Giants

8/13
    Eric Lauer
    Padres

</tbody>

- - - Updated - - -

8-13 WNBA Projected Lines

<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>
    <tbody>
    Date
    City
    Teams
    Mine

8/13
    Minn
    Lynx

8/13
    New
    Liberty

8/13
    Atla
    Dream

8/13
    Las
    Aces

</tbody>
    edited August 2019
    BETS
    CFL
    BC Lions +12
    Stampeders -5
    Lions Over 51
    edited August 2019
    what do you think of those MLB lines today Donny? My projections look pretty good now

got a couple games off now

I would bet
    Rays -108
    Red Sox +105
    edited August 2019
    I would also take
    Twins +112
  • jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited August 2019
    here you go dan just bet the red sox with a few of my outs....
    one model says they should be -149
    my lineups model says they should be -150

I know how much i should be , do you ?

- - - Updated - - -

BET , not be lol
    edited August 2019
    jets96 wrote: »
    here you go dan just bet the red sox with a few of my outs....
    one model says they should be -149
    my lineups model says they should be -150

I know how much i should be , do you ?

- - - Updated - - -

BET , not be lol
    I know exactly how much to bet on MLB and that bet amount is 0!

I am not in good shape on that game I got the Indians as favorites in that game, so whats that tell you, yeah I am way off on that one.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I am getting closer on the model. I will keep working on it, Donny got me going and now I am on a MLB mission, I usually just pass up the MLB cause I never have done well with it and I dont know if the changes I am making will help but I am gonna give it hell.
    edited August 2019
    here is a secret , look team not pitcher and your line will get closer
    edited August 2019
    danshan wrote: »
    what do you think of those MLB lines today Donny? My projections look pretty good now

got a couple games off now

I would bet
    Rays -108
    Red Sox +105

Rays Currently at -118
    Red Sox Currently at -111

that is good stuff, now if
    A the lines hold up
    B I can repeat that process a zillion times, should be good to go!

- - - Updated - - -

now of course the limits I found when I would have made those bets were about 2500-3k on the exchanges
    edited August 2019
    can someone please explain the Monty Hall problem to me?

you have 3 closed doors
    behind 1 door is a car
    the other two have nothing
    you choose 1 door they don't open it but they open one of the empty doors, now they ask if you want to switch doors, do you do it?
    why do you now have a 66.6% chance of winning if and only if you switch doors, how is it not 50-50 now that you have 2 doors left and only 1 has a car?
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited August 2019

you have 3 closed doors
    behind 1 door is a car
    you choose 1 door they don't open it but they open one of the empty doors, now they ask if you want to switch doors, do you do it?
    why do you now have a 66.6% chance of winning if and only if you switch doors, how is it not 50-50 now that you have 2 doors left and only 1 has a car?

I will not go into the entire reasoning to change the door originally picked, but if you google “Monty Hall Problem” there are several explanations on line that will answer your question. This question came to the forefront back in 1990, when Marilyn Vos Savant answered the question in the “Parade” Sunday paper supplement. It does seem counterintuitive to think that changing your original door pick, after 1 door was eliminated, would give you a 66.67% chance of winning instead of a 50% chance, but it has been proven by computer simulation to be true.
    edited August 2019
    yes it seems crazy if 2 doors are left you should be 50-50 but the logic makes sense that if you switch you maintain a 66% chance because you essentially have chosen 2 doors that gives you a 66% chance and you can eliminate one door so you maintain that 66% chance, very cool. still does not really make sense
    edited August 2019
    Liberty have injuries couple players out today not stars but worth maybe 1 to 2 points off the sides
  • StJoes0610StJoes0610 Senior Member
    edited August 2019

you have 3 closed doors
    behind 1 door is a car

finally something i can help with.

i had trouble with this one, too. how i was able to understand it is this:

lets say instead of 3 doors, you have 100 doors. you select door 1 and they open 2-99 and they are all empty. it seems much more likely that the other door, door 100, is the one that holds the car given youve eliminated 98 possibilities vs. when you selected your door and there were 100 possibilities. obviously there is an absolute truth that door X holds the car behind it, which trips people up, but hopefully that helps a bit as it did for me.
    edited August 2019
    you choose one there is a 33% chance you were right and a 66% chance you were wrong, now they open 1 and you choose the other, this leaves you a 66% chance you were wrong with the 1st pick, something like that
  • StJoes0610StJoes0610 Senior Member
    edited August 2019
    the idea is youre supposed to switch, so if you switch after one door is revealed youre in essence getting two picks (hence the 66% chance) because of the updated info after one door is revealed.

not helping this is the explanations are typically verbose as mine was. for me, the extreme example of 100 doors helped me comprehend it better.
    edited August 2019
    BET
    8-13 Dream Under 154.5
    edited August 2019
    dan , should i take atl +13 , put me on , or take me off this game
    edited August 2019
    I got Aces -12 so +13 is just not enough of a gap for me to take it
  • John1689John1689 Junior Member
    edited August 2019
    I can tell you i been booted from more books by playing 4 team teasers than beating the line 70% of time. I have intrest in 2 books - so the same for the other side. Dont remember where these came from but the math checks -
    2 team -110 +ev 0.0025 ish 54ish win%
    (Dont remember all this exactly)
    3 team +180 +ev 0.1200 ish 40ish win%
    4team +300 +ev 0.16ish 30ish win%

If your total player rating anywhere near the 3 and 4 team agv we watching your plays and moving accordingly.

Btw im no mathematician or expert in ANYTHING lol...i do think im a jack in a few trades tho.

To calculate that you convert to a percentage and take the Xth root where X is the number of legs. so -110 is 110/(110+100) = 110/210 = .5238, and the square root of .524 is .724, which means 72.4% per individual leg is the same as a 2 teamer at -110. +180 is 100/(180+100) =100/280 = .357 and the cubed root of .357 is .709, which means 70.9% per individual leg is the same as a 3 teamer at +180. 4 team +300 is a bit better than that one too. (70.7%), those will obviously have much higher variance and harder to find on one weekend.
    edited August 2019
    and dan if you win the under ill win with the +13
    edited August 2019
    I hope I win I just went 0-3 day before yesterday
    edited August 2019
    I would say my chances are really slim(Christine Ricci slim) to NONE
    edited August 2019
    and dan if you win the under ill win with the +13

good hit,my bet went a little bit over, can you say NBA scores, i went 0-4 last 4. I hope it picks up soon
    edited August 2019
    <colgroup><col style="width: 43px"><col width="42"><col width="83"><col width="50"></colgroup><tbody>
    Date
    City
    Teams
    Mine

8/14
    Los
    Sparks

8/14
    Dall
    Wings

8/14
    Seat
    Storm

8/14
    Wash
    Mystics

8/14
    Conn
    Sun

8/14
    Phoe
    Mercury

</tbody>
    edited August 2019
    listen , what you did yesterday has no bearing on what you do today, my baseball over the last week hasnt been great , lost a lot of close last inning games , it will change.
    keep plugging dude
    edited August 2019
    Griner and Taurasi out staying away from Mercury Game
    edited August 2019
    listen , what you did yesterday has no bearing on what you do today, my baseball over the last week hasnt been great , lost a lot of close last inning games , it will change.
    keep plugging dude

oh I care more about line accuracy on my projected lines and CLV. I am fine losing 4 in a row sucks but I am way up on the season in the WNBA.
    edited August 2019
    Projected MLB Lines Tomorrow

<tbody>
    8/15
    Caleb Smith
    Marlins

8/15
    Drew Smyly
    Phillies

8/15
    Sonny Gray
    Reds

8/15
    Marcus Stroman
    Mets

8/15
    Alex Young
    Diamondbacks

8/15
    Andrew Heaney
    Angels

8/15
    Mike Fiers
    Athletics

</tbody>

- - - Updated - - -

edited August 2019
    Projected MLB Lines Tomorrow

<tbody>
    8/15
    Caleb Smith
    Marlins

8/15
    Drew Smyly
    Phillies

8/15
    Sonny Gray
    Reds

8/15
    Marcus Stroman
    Mets

8/15
    Alex Young
    Diamondbacks

8/15
    Andrew Heaney
    Angels

8/15
    Mike Fiers
    Athletics

</tbody>

- - - Updated - - -

I wrote Stroman but I meant Teheran -146 just to clarify