Betting Talk

Stock Market thread

Comments

• wborder900wborder900 Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    BetThemDogs- Props on the recommendation to follow s a advisory.... just followed them on ARWR today and cashed.....
    These guys seem to know what they are talking about...... Thanks buddy...
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    wborder900 wrote: »
    BetThemDogs- Props on the recommendation to follow s a advisory.... just followed them on ARWR today and cashed.....
    These guys seem to know what they are talking about...... Thanks buddy...

I've been following him since the early 1980's-- has a lot of small stocks that either bomb out, or give you a 300% or more gain. I also get a chuckle out of his political commentary.
  • winner_13winner_13 Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    Warren Buffet says he would short bonds:

"If I had an easy way, and a non-risk way, of shorting a lot of 20-year or 30-year bonds, I would do it. But that's not my game. It can't be done in the quantity that would make sense for us," Buffett said on CNBC Monday morning.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/05/04/the-list-of-big-money-bond-market-bashers-is-growing.html

It was posted on May.4.
    I think TBT (a 2X inverse of the 20+ year bond market) is a good buy. I've been on it for months now however and down about 10% so far.

Any thoughts?
  • winner_13winner_13 Senior Member
    edited October 2015

"If I had an easy way, and a non-risk way, of shorting a lot of 20-year or 30-year bonds, I would do it. But that's not my game. It can't be done in the quantity that would make sense for us," Buffett said on CNBC Monday morning.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/05/04/the-list-of-big-money-bond-market-bashers-is-growing.html

It was posted on May.4.
    I think TBT (a 2X inverse of the 20+ year bond market) is a good buy. I've been on it for months now however and down about 10% so far.

Any thoughts?
  • underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    winner_13 wrote: »

It was posted on May.4.

Any thoughts?

Why are you still holding TBT? didn't you read a previous post where I told you the slippage will get you in the long run. 2x or higher leveraged ETF's are meant for day trading not holding for more than a couple of days.
  • sa215sa215 Member
    edited October 2015
    winner_13 wrote: »

It was posted on May.4.

Any thoughts?

I own a small amount myself. Look at it this way -

It's going to be a shitty investment until it's not - And when it's not it will likely spike substantially.

The fed will never elect to raise rates any real way - our economy and debt load can't support it. However, if there is a crash in the bond market or USD that spins out of control, the market will cause rates to spike.

Don't hold it b/c you think a recovery is coming - hold it for a bit of insurance if the bond market or dollar goes south in the US.
    edited October 2015
    If the bond market and dollar sell off at the same time in a big way, most likely the stock market would sell off too, since it's a flee on a dog's tail.

Bunker time.. stock up your Rice and lead. :surrender:
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    underwraps wrote: »
    If the bond market and dollar sell off at the same time in a big way, most likely the stock market would sell off too, since it's a flee on a dog's tail.

Bunker time.. stock up your Rice and lead. :surrender:

Wraps you have a PM across the street
  • golfguru1golfguru1 Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    Can someone tell me where across the street is as I like to read forums, especially this one
    edited October 2015
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    Wraps you have a PM across the street

Yeah I do
    edited October 2015
    Replied and thanks for your time.
    edited October 2015
    T Boone telling it like it is once more-- holler if you see that flying pig, cause that'll be the day the two sides get together and come up with a comprehensive national energy policy.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/problem-70-oil-call-boone-100000725.html
    edited October 2015
    T Boone telling it like it is once more-- holler if you see that flying pig, cause that'll be the day the two sides get together and come up with a comprehensive national energy policy.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/problem-70-oil-call-boone-100000725.html
  • Jlc1624Jlc1624 Junior Member
    edited October 2015
    golfguru1 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me where across the street is as I like to read forums, especially this one

I am wondering the same? What's a cross the street? Thanks
  • minger2123minger2123 Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    Jlc1624 wrote: »
    I am wondering the same? What's a cross the street? Thanks

In Chicago, we would say, "around the corner, over by der"..
  • CoolsCools Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    Hey Reb, hoping you could provide an update from the MannUnKind presentation today.

Nothing but negative news surrounding this company nowadays. The positive reports are now revolved around, "Afrezza is still going to be solid, but MNKD has a lot of other good stuff coming down the pipe." I know you've maintained that the company has a lot of other patents and things that could be positive for the growth, but it is concerning that longs are now looking past Afrezza for assurance.

I know the debt paid with cash was not a good thing and it seems almost certain that Sanofi is going to get out of the deal down the road. What happens then? Does this stock go to zero? I'm in for the long haul, sink or swim, but this is starting to look like a poor investment. I hope I'm wrong.
    edited October 2015
    TheReb wrote: »
    Fwiw, I've been adding recently...you had to love the Google-Sanofi partnership announcement regarding Diabetes... this is definitely a long term investment and NOT a trade....been a lot of forces/head winds to work through to this point for sure...the dark side is back to over 50% short while the tutes continue to add...Greywolf Capital (strong ties with Goldman) increased their position by 50% in the 2nd Q after the Goldman analyst did his downgrade and they knocked it down on that bear raid before the big bounce in mid May..."follow the money trail" ;) ...hope all is well with everyone been busy with family stuff...youngest just started Pharmacy School, oldest just started his Residency and officially a Doc ...man they grow fast...just me and the Mrs. and a lot of empty bedrooms now lol...GL this season all!

Hey Reb, hoping you could provide an update from the MannUnKind presentation today.

Nothing but negative news surrounding this company nowadays. The positive reports are now revolved around, "Afrezza is still going to be solid, but MNKD has a lot of other good stuff coming down the pipe." I know you've maintained that the company has a lot of other patents and things that could be positive for the growth, but it is concerning that longs are now looking past Afrezza for assurance.

I know the debt paid with cash was not a good thing and it seems almost certain that Sanofi is going to get out of the deal down the road. What happens then? Does this stock go to zero? I'm in for the long haul, sink or swim, but this is starting to look like a poor investment. I hope I'm wrong.
    edited October 2015
    Cools wrote: »

Check into the lending program Im getting 23% for my shares that's being put into my account monthly as opposed to just sitting there doing nothing. It's a win-win if they gie back shares that means the price is going and shorts are getting out if the % goes down same thing. I had it for two days and it went from 20% to 23%. the only danger is BK and that's always a possibility but I don't think so.
    edited October 2015

Check into the lending program Im getting 23% for my shares that's being put into my account monthly as opposed to just sitting there doing nothing. It's a win-win if they give back shares that means the price is going up and shorts are getting out if the % goes down same thing. I had it for two days and it went from 20% to 23%. the only danger is BK and that's always a possibility but I don't think so.

Opps double post.

PS: It's the best thing at this monent.
  • wborder900wborder900 Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    Did you guy see the turmoil on VRX today? Jesus... the Pharma industry is a damn mess right now. VRX is taking down the whole industry...
    Can't really suggest anything in this industry probably until after elections....
  • TheRebTheReb Senior Member
    edited October 2015

Cools, sorry but I'm not getting the thread alert emails for some reason and have been traveling without looking at the board...I'll have to give OT some shit because I spoke with him like 3 times since you posted this and he didn't mention it lol...in any case, I was adding in the low 3's if that tells you anything but I have not changed any sentiment towards the company and today's news that they are getting listed on the Tel Aviv Exchange can only be a positive IMO. Like OT mentioned, the lending rate is now up to 30% at Schwab and 32% at Fidelity so depending on how much you own (if under 100k) you may want to switch your account to Schwab and at least be collecting some nice "dividends" at the expense of the short holders while you wait for your investment to bear fruit. GL
    edited October 2015
    Picked up some INO today at 6.48 and have been looking at KERX again down 20 cents today and think at 4.47 it's cheap and by the end of next year you may get $10 out of it. A year ago last Sept they were at $17 or something like that. Read a nice piece on them today and it appears that they're heading in the right direction. But who really knows with these fuckers.

Of course I did it again with MSFT when the market was a little scary and I said if it goes to 42/43 it was $44 and change at the time and people were predicting that it should hit $40 before a bounce well I watched another 10k go by the boards. I also own ACLS and it's starting to come back which I thought it would I'll take $4.30 and get out of dodge. That stock ZOOM that I bought in the high $19's and sold at $25 but it's just hanging around between $24.90 and $25.00

Here's a nice this maybe one to watch

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/xoom-awaits-acquisition-paypal-operating-184006020.html

edited October 2015
    TheReb wrote: »
    Cools, sorry but I'm not getting the thread alert emails for some reason and have been traveling without looking at the board...I'll have to give OT some shit because I spoke with him like 3 times since you posted this and he didn't mention it lol...in any case, I was adding in the low 3's if that tells you anything but I have not changed any sentiment towards the company and today's news that they are getting listed on the Tel Aviv Exchange can only be a positive IMO. Like OT mentioned, the lending rate is now up to 30% at Schwab and 32% at Fidelity so depending on how much you own (if under 100k) you may want to switch your account to Schwab and at least be collecting some nice "dividends" at the expense of the short holders while you wait for your investment to bear fruit. GL

Thanks for the update, Reb. Seems like every time I ask for a positive assurance the stock rebounds a bit...I guess I'll just keep bugging you haha!
    edited October 2015
    Hey cools up to 32% get in there.
    edited October 2015
    Hey guys-- MNKD getting that 9 million shares of stock back from B of A can only help your %s right?
    edited October 2015
    It's nice when the price goes up and the % goes up and it should go higher now. Get what you can because you never know it's appears to be a long ride I just hope I'm around to see it.:laugh:
    edited October 2015
    It's nice when the price goes up and the % goes up and it should go higher now. Get what you can because you never know it's appears to be a long ride I just hope I'm around to see it.:laugh:

Haha good one OT. Thanks for the lending tip too, I'm going to switch over this week.
  • fishboomfishboom Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    OT,
    Hold a few days on KERx. Seeing low $4, but have friend who thinks it may drop over the next week. Approved in Europe but still in trials and their leading drug is a small size in patient population. Ah, the medical sector!

Boom
    edited October 2015
    fishboom wrote: »
    OT,
    Hold a few days on KERx. Seeing low $4, but have friend who thinks it may drop over the next week. Approved in Europe but still in trials and their leading drug is a small size in patient population. Ah, the medical sector!

Boom

That was my plan and it's great to know that one of my plans may make me a little money. Thanks Boom I do appreciate your input and don't be a stranger. It's always great to hear what you have to say. Hope all is well with you and Family. Son moved to Texas so no more trips to Mississippi but to all that's reading this if you ever get that way go on March 17 St Patty's Day AWESOME!!
    edited October 2015
    Hey cools up to 32% get in there.

Alright, so you guys know that I'm completely in the dark with it comes to stock lingo, foreign language to me for the most part. I called Schwab and he said there are two lending options. One where I lend the MNKD shares out to short them and the other where their lending group reaches out to me and offers a special rate.

Which one are you guys talking about? And if it's the second, he mentioned that there's no guarantee the lending group will make the offer. Help please.