Betting Talk

Stock Market thread

Comments

• CoopsCoops Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    China cuts rates for the 5th time in 9 months and everything is fixed... Sure

Lambs to the Slaughter...

You can't keep clogging holes with fingers, you will run out of fingers soon and then? Boom
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    What, if any, impact do you guys think the crash has on the fed raising rates? Delay? It still has to happen at some point by around early '16, yes?
    edited August 2015
    Dr. H wrote: »
    What, if any, impact do you guys think the crash has on the fed raising rates? Delay? It still has to happen at some point by around early '16, yes?

I'd say pretty confidently 2015 is out the window. My best bet is at the June 2016 FOMC Meeting. It has to be before Election Day, but not early enough to fuck with Obamas "legacy." The economy is way to fragile to handle any rate increase now, and honestly it won't be able to handle it in 2016 either, but it has to be raised before he leaves office. Housing will get crushed the minute the 30yr starts ticking up.
    edited August 2015
    Coops wrote: »
    I'd say pretty confidently 2015 is out the window. My best bet is at the June 2016 FOMC Meeting. It has to be before Election Day, but not early enough to fuck with Obamas "legacy." The economy is way to fragile to handle any rate increase now, and honestly it won't be able to handle it in 2016 either, but it has to be raised before he leaves office. Housing will get crushed the minute the 30yr starts ticking up.

I'm sitting on a rental property that I have an adjustable mortgage on - it's currently at 3%. I could refinance to lock in 3.75% for 10 years and continue to rent it, I could not refinance and continue to rent it, or I could sell it. Knowing nothing else, do you think any of those options are significantly better/worse than the others?
    edited August 2015
    Dr. H wrote: »
    I'm sitting on a rental property that I have an adjustable mortgage on - it's currently at 3%. I could refinance to lock in 3.75% for 10 years and continue to rent it, I could not refinance and continue to rent it, or I could sell it. Knowing nothing else, do you think any of those options are significantly better/worse than the others?

No, no difference in any option in my opinion. When rates do rise, it will be a very long and tedious process. I don't anticipate rates moving more than 1/2 point from now until the end of 2016.
    edited August 2015
    No, no difference in any option in my opinion. When rates do rise, it will be a very long and tedious process. I don't anticipate rates moving more than 1/2 point from now until the end of 2016.

Thanks for your time and thoughts. Hope things are good. Enjoy those Mets!
  • underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    From Karl
    ROFL! ("Markets")

"Markets in turmoil!" screamed the headlines yesterday.

But that's only true when the market goes down strongly, right?

Here's the amusing part of this -- the cut in China's reserve requirement that produced a 600 point DOW futures rally overnight (most of which happened before the cut) and the futures market over the last 48 hours has done nothing but rape people on both sides of the trade -- those who shorted yesterday -- really any time yesterday -- are now (deeply) underwater, and those who sold yesterday are shaking their heads at a crystallized and unnecessary loss.

But before you start singing Kumbaya please keep one thing in mind -- these sorts of "excursions", just as they did in early 2007 when the Asian market melted down and again in early 2008 when Bear Stearns went under, have a serious negative effect on liquidity in the market as those who find themselves with the raw deal this morning take their ball and bat and go home.

It happened last time and it will this time. And no, what started last week is not over.
  • golfer1000golfer1000 Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Solid finish for the market today. Fuckin unreal man
    edited August 2015
    Lol, this shits gonna make Lehman look like a blip on the radar when all is said and done. Dow closes under 15,000 before the week is over.... book it
    edited August 2015
    Lol, this shits gonna make Lehman look like a blip on the radar when all is said and done. Dow closes under 15,000 before the week is over.... book it

Dow down 15% from high. 5 more percent will be considered a recession right ?
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Could be a good time to buy but still a little early but by no means panic and sell. Ask the people who panicked yesterday how they feel today.
  • LancerLancer Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    no golfer, a 20% drop is considered a bear market.

a recession is based on the economy (GDP), which must be negative for 2 consecutive qtrs. to be considered a recession - w2hich is not where we are headed btw.
    edited August 2015
    I won't sell. I believe you should never sell unless you absolutely need the money. Buy good stocks, build a portfolio, and sit tight. Especially if your young like me. I'm looking to buy personally, maybe not quite yet but getting real close. chevron paying a 5.6% dividend right now. Maybe a little early but I'm in for the long haul, I may swoop that up tomorrow.
    edited August 2015
    the GDP is a bullshit indicator which was inflated by benny boy who will soon send tweets from his bunker.

just look at copper prices since 2011 a world wide industrial metal tells the whole story of what's coming next.
    edited August 2015
    I don't care about terminology like recession, depression, bla bla bla.... The pullback at 3PM is a giant indicator of what tomorrow will look like... Maybe China can cut rates again, that's been working so well... Maybe the U.S. can lower rates again... Ohh wait, the bag of tricks is empty. Bring on the blood.
    edited August 2015
    Japan was at 0% rate for what 20/30 years and they had citizens with actual savings accounts. This country is running on fumes and wave C of C is long over due.
  • TortugaTortuga Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Yikes. I think I'm just going to sit tight and hope for the best.
    edited August 2015
    This game will show you just how foolish it is to sell stocks right now
    http://qz.com/487013/this-game-will-show-you-just-how-foolish-it-is-to-sell-stocks-right-now/
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Oh no. Here comes the oil guy with another stock recommendation. Well, get em while they're down. This is another commodity-- rare earth. Small Australian company- Alkane ALK.AX (trades here in States on 1/10 basis as ANLKY)

http://www.alkane.com.au/

Company has governmental and environmental approval for their rare earth project in western New South Wales. With 80-90% and above of most of the rare earths coming out of China, it's good to find a company in a stable country. The mine will start producing in late '17. In the meantime, they have a gold mine nearby that's in production bringing in cash flow.

Read the articles and broker assessments. Get in while the price is low.

Currently Au$.27---- $1.77 here in States (but very thinly traded-- I'd buy in Australia)
    edited August 2015
    So maybe the start of this week was just a scare? What do you guys think?
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Tortuga wrote: »
    So maybe the start of this week was just a scare? What do you guys think?

It worked :) But I don't think so. Just take a peak in the morning and then I don't look until the next day. Watching and listening to the so called experts leads to bad things. Lets print some more money Haha that worked out well.
  • minger2123minger2123 Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Long time MNKD stock owner. It's been a long time coming but I think the tide will slowly turn. I called the MGM and verified that there is a large convention there named the Sanofi/Afrezza conference. Starts on Monday the 14th. Would be a great time for a TV commercial or some mass advertising.
  • TheRebTheReb Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    minger2123 wrote: »
    Long time MNKD stock owner. It's been a long time coming but I think the tide will slowly turn. I called the MGM and verified that there is a large convention there named the Sanofi/Afrezza conference. Starts on Monday the 14th. Would be a great time for a TV commercial or some mass advertising.
    Fwiw, I've been adding recently...you had to love the Google-Sanofi partnership announcement regarding Diabetes... this is definitely a long term investment and NOT a trade....been a lot of forces/head winds to work through to this point for sure...the dark side is back to over 50% short while the tutes continue to add...Greywolf Capital (strong ties with Goldman) increased their position by 50% in the 2nd Q after the Goldman analyst did his downgrade and they knocked it down on that bear raid before the big bounce in mid May..."follow the money trail" ;) ...hope all is well with everyone been busy with family stuff...youngest just started Pharmacy School, oldest just started his Residency and officially a Doc ...man they grow fast...just me and the Mrs. and a lot of empty bedrooms now lol...GL this season all!
    edited September 2015
    Reb-- here's the latest very speculative play from SA Advisory. Since you know everything about bio techs, if you've got the time would you look at this one and tell me if it's worth a flyer?

New stock recommendations from s a advisory

12:05 PM (2 hours ago)

Unknown,revenue growth @ 100%,Bioresearch, super cheap

Hemacare- HEMA (.35) "Black Stocks Matter!"

This public company within 1 month will raise the curtain and will you be surprised!

Bioresearch is an industry that offers a huge blue sky!

"Black Stocks Matter!"

We are not talking about that other misguided movement! We are talking about companies that de-list from filing with the SEC. This is usually done because the specific company cannot afford or justify the huge expense ( we call this over-regulation that has seriously curbed incubation of Capitalism in the USA). Other situations stem from a company that is just going out of business, Management resembles a team of worthless "dogs" or that management is changing & refocusing it's business operations and emerging as a "new" and healthy entity.

It is obvious that HemaCare's (hema) has this route in mind. This "new" story that we are presenting is very exciting and investor's should take note!

HemaCare is a leader in Cell and Tissue Collection, Processing and Cell Therapy, providing high-quality, controlled, consistent , customized primary cells and blood components derived from both healthy and disease state peripheral blood, bone marrow, and cord blood to research in cellular therapy and other health and biotech related organizations needed to ensure quality research outcomes that meet the unique needs of the scientific community for pre-clinical and clinical applications in biologics, immunotherapy, cell therapy assay development and medical devices.

website; www.hemacare.com

phone number: 877 389 7115

We would take some time and visit their website- Very good with a stream of articles that relate to products that HEMA offers.

Some current news:

On or about March 4, 2015 HEMA sold their final "old" operations, namely, "Apheresis" for $3-$5 million and the closing date was early June 2015!

Note: Management has assured me that during Oct 2015 that year-end results for 2014 will be released and also the first 2 quarter's of 2015 will also be released. This will make them current and in the future Quarterly information will be released on a timely manner. There will be a time that they will also become fully reporting again. Management also assured me that timely press will also continue.

On or About July 30, 2015 CYRX (nasdaq) signed an agreement with HEMA for cryogenic logistic solutions. CYRX will provide cold chain logistics for a broad range of cell and tissue samples for use in advanced biomedical, cell therapy clinical trials and product commercialization .

Recently, HEMA announced that they will exhibit @SITC ( www.sitcancer.org) Nov 4-8 2015 in Maryland.

Interested investor could visit their site and review their informative "blog" as they discuss medical issues and how they are supplying needed products to research and development arms of noted companies in various medical research fields. One could assume that company's like GILD, NVS,RHHBY, SHPG, GSK & zillions of other research labs needing specifics that are available from HEMA's huge Donor list.

STATS:

10.7 million shares fully diluted & outstanding

33% held by management- very bullish

30% held by owner's of over 5%

NO LONG TERM DEBT

NOL $7 million fed and $7 million state- very valuable as tax shelter and bonus for a suitor that might want to pick up this "cherry" at fire-sale prices.

Since they have not reported in 1 1/2 years we are unable to really see or assume their balance sheet. We do know that management informed us that they have no debt! They have cash and do not need any kind of cash infusion. We assume that HEMA could easily have in excess of $5 million, which would include the recent transaction and prior divestitures

From prior business model HEMA still has valuable clearance documental from the FDA.

We believe that the NAV comes in between .50-$1.00 and much of that could be cash. We only have around 1 month until the show starts.

From their only on going division from 2013 that revenues for only 8 moths reached $1.6 million and added 100 customers.

According to management upon the visit to their Annual meeting during late May 2015- that revenue for 2014 was around $4.5 million from this division & they added another 99 customers.

We believe that during the current year that revenue could surpass $9 million & they have ( May 2015) added another 34 customers.

Management informed us that much of their business has extremely high gross profit margins of 55% & since they have no debt payments--we could assume that they might show a profit during 2015.

As mentioned prior, management intends to become more pro-active with respect to timely press and angle for greater shareholder awareness once the Oct numbers are released for 2014 and 6 months for 2015!

HEMA is like the ultimate pilot fish feeding off herds of "whales" that need and pay top dollar for their proven products and professional delivery.

When you consider that HEMA's rev growth exploded for 2013 to 2014 by over 200% and from 2014 to estimated rev for 2015 grows by 100% -that regardless of profits that this company would sport a huge price premium from current levels. Based upon our estimates and a discussion with management that if they are successful in achieving projection for 2015 that HEMA should easily trade at 2X sales because of their huge growth rate and no debt and ample cash and attractive cash flow. At this time we only have a market cap of under $3 million-- tiny when you consider that most likely their cash on hand is much larger than their market cap!

If you like this investment idea it is in our opinion, waiting for the curtain to rise during Oct 2015 will cost you dearly. The true picture has already been painted for 2014 and the first 6 months of 2015 and if wait for the showing you may pay 200% above the current level. At 2X estimated sales for 2015 HEMA would sport a share price of at least $1.50/sh a far cry from current levels.

We will have 2014 year end numbers & interim 2015 numbers, we have a 4 day promotional show in early Nov 2015 , a more transparent desire by management towards investors and an industry that is void of recession and has huge almost endless pockets.

If you had the choice to be a pilot fish for an industry this is a money machine. HEMA could turn out to be a true ATM for the astute and risk oriented investor.

We rate HEMA with a strong speculative buy recommendation for short and long term appreciation potential. An additional bonus of course is that HEMA in my opinion looks like a very attractive buyout candidate- So pick you pot of gold!
    edited September 2015
    bump
    edited September 2015
    No rate hike this week.... Shocking...
    edited September 2015
    Coops, any word yet on who's taking those DFS companies public?
    edited September 2015
    underwraps wrote: »
    Coops, any word yet on who's taking those DFS companies public?

Fuck, totally forgot... I'll put reminder in phone to check Monday.
  • TheRebTheReb Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    BTD,

I follow the biotechs in certain areas...obviously the diabetes, cancer, some stem cell, but a penny stock company that hasn't reported in a year and a half that is getting touted would not be on my radar.... ONVO would be the extent of speculation with its 3D tech on cell printing.
    Other than MNKD, INO and AGEN are the only other two I'm currently involved with. GL if you take a stab at HEMA hope it works out for ya ;)
  • wborder900wborder900 Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    BetThemDogs- Props on the recommendation to follow s a advisory.... just followed them on ARWR today and cashed.....
    These guys seem to know what they are talking about...... Thanks buddy...