Betting Talk

Stock Market thread

Comments

• TheRebTheReb Senior Member
    edited October 2013
    TheReb wrote: »
    In response to Minger's update request:

It's still there minger

http://www.bettingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php/136786-can-we-discuss-stock-market-on-here/page18?highlight=discuss+stock+market

As far as updates on the equities that I mentioned most frequently earlier they go as follows (I will copy and post in the original thread as well to bring that one up to date and reactivate it now that the sites have consolidated and summer is over)

ONVO just had Roche discuss using their liver cells so that among other events have garnered some attention...there are those that are still skeptical but it continues to attract buyers on any dips and holds the mid to upper 5 area fairly well. I still hold a long position.

MNKD is getting ready to submit their NDA (New Drug Application) on Afrezza and I have my largest holding in this company. The short interest is huge at just near 50 mill shares and after their successful phase III trials they raised 160 mill in a four tranche financing based on reaching certain milestones of which they have already reached the first 2 which translated into 80 mill. They also hired Greenhill Capital to act on its behalf as their agent in negotiations with potential partners with Big Pharma....currently trading at the 6 handle...my initial target is 10 and longer term into the 20's...if you care to know more about them let me know but that is a quick summary on their current scenario.

ASTX has received a tender offer see link http://investor.astx.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=788931 which translates to 8.50/sh when I first mentioned them they were trading at 6.05 and then subsequently 5.60 where I stated I was adding to my position...hope some tailed.

OPK has traded up to the 9 handle and currently sits just under @ 8.70 area....continue to hold long and in the money call options (Jan '14 7's) had originally recommended this back in the mid 4's.

SNFCA currently sitting in the low 6's, this pretty much has been the only laggard of the bunch...I still currently hold long.

Old Timer and others that tailed hope you are still enjoying the ride....OPK traded above 10 handle today on very strong volume...shorts are getting squeezed on this one.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited October 2013
    Old Timer and others that tailed hope you are still enjoying the ride....OPK traded above 10 handle today on very strong volume...shorts are getting squeezed on this one.

Have to say I've been out and did leave money on the table but with that and NVAX was very please with few-k I put in my pocket and thank you for it.
    edited October 2013

Have never followed it, after reading the SA article sounds like there's no need to rush into it just yet so will put it on the monitor and news watch list.
    edited November 2013
    Not sure who still owns ONVO....but for those that have followed I just sold mine today, it has had a helluva a run (currently in the mid 11's) which may continue but having bought in the 2's felt it was time to take the chips off the table....I still love their technology and will look to re enter on any pullbacks. I also have liquidated my OPK position as well...again after a huge run decided to take the chips off the table...that pretty much leaves me with all the chips in MNKD....still believe this one is a steal for anyone looking for a +EV situation...they filed their NDA (new drug application) with the FDA after their successful phase III trial results. The responses from some of the participants in the trials were overwhelmingly positive and with the current market for Diabetes growing at an alarming rate, this still has huge game changing blockbuster potential IMO FWIW. Best -R
  • underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    Smart move REB you cant be a pig with Bio stocks or any stocks for that matter.
    Congrats on the score
  • CoopsCoops Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    Hey Reb, I sold out on Tuesday when it hit $10. Great call buddy.
  • JMU_DegenerateJMU_Degenerate Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    TheReb, you have any news about MNKD that isnt readily available on a site like marketwatch? I have not entered a position on MNKD yet but would be interested in doing so if that is still the call.
    edited December 2013
    TheReb, you have any news about MNKD that isnt readily available on a site like marketwatch? I have not entered a position on MNKD yet but would be interested in doing so if that is still the call.

This link to their website FAQ's in the media section is a good start: http://www.mannkindcorp.com/media-room--clinical-trials-faqs.htm

with the selloff in the broader market and the biotech ETF (XBI) it has presented an excellent entry point IMO...so yes if you are considering opening a position then anything in the low 5's and under is going to be ++EV as far as I'm concerned. This is now by far and away my biggest holding currently and fully expect it to get approved and also to reach a partnership agreement with Big Pharma also. When these binary events take place (within the next 4 mos. most likely) you will most likely at least double your initial investment with the ultimate potential of getting more than a multiple bagger on this one. Today there was actually an article in the Motley Fool titled will MNKD inhale Novo Nordisk's Profits....there was also a mention over the weekend in the LA Times. Also, you can youtube a video by Dr. Jay Skylar on Afrezza....there is much more that you should be able to find on it as well but the link to their site I posted above is a great place to start. GL going forward -R
    edited December 2013
    I here the crowd shouting More,More More. Thanks for info Reb much appreciated
    edited December 2013
    Reb

I meant to ask you My first wife is into real estate for a long time and has done very well for herself over the years. It's all private (she owns 4 different things) and you can't get in the only way is to buy from a seller that owns shares. I don't know much about it but she gets checks every month and a bonus once a year. One of them just went public it's the Empire State Building which was alone and now it's with other company's I really don't know how to explain it because it's a REIT and I haven't had any experience with REIT's. Anyway my question is they went public and the IPO was on Oct 3 at 13.16 and now it's $14.24 as of now and has been as high as 14.90 They had to have a vote (She voted yes to go public) and now the monthly checks stop and the bonus at end of year stops but she gets a nice quarterly dividend in cash sent to the house and I was thinking of picking up some. When you have time I would like to hear your opinion. If this was a common stock I would have gotten in the next day at 13.25 but being REIT and lack of knowledge kept me on the side line. I hope I'm making sense I know something about the stock market in general and have done okay for myself but strictly Mutual funds and stock purchase's. From the little I read about REIT's it appears to be similar to a mutual fund. Can I get in and out like any other fund or stock? TIA
    edited December 2013
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    I here the crowd shouting More,More More. Thanks for info Reb much appreciated

Lol, thanks OT, I couldn't help myself and picked up another 2k shares this am. I expected the downward price pressure as those that purchased on margin would be have forced unwanted sales due to the overall market sell off. I just sold the S&P puts that I purchased the day after thanksgiving as they were going to expire tomorrow at the close...I thought about letting them ride into the close but with the time premium gone any decent market bounce would wipe them out so decided to take a decent profit in them. I may roll into next weeks depending on how the overall market closes out the week. -R
    edited December 2013
    Reb

I meant to ask you My first wife is into real estate for a long time and has done very well for herself over the years. It's all private (she owns 4 different things) and you can't get in the only way is to buy from a seller that owns shares. I don't know much about it but she gets checks every month and a bonus once a year. One of them just went public it's the Empire State Building which was alone and now it's with other company's I really don't know how to explain it because it's a REIT and I haven't had any experience with REIT's. Anyway my question is they went public and the IPO was on Oct 3 at 13.16 and now it's $14.24 as of now and has been as high as 14.90 They had to have a vote (She voted yes to go public) and now the monthly checks stop and the bonus at end of year stops but she gets a nice quarterly dividend in cash sent to the house and I was thinking of picking up some. When you have time I would like to hear your opinion. If this was a common stock I would have gotten in the next day at 13.25 but being REIT and lack of knowledge kept me on the side line. I hope I'm making sense I know something about the stock market in general and have done okay for myself but strictly Mutual funds and stock purchase's. From the little I read about REIT's it appears to be similar to a mutual fund. Can I get in and out like any other fund or stock? TIA

The REIT's are like an ETF only with various types of real estate holdings, some commercial, some residential, and some mortgage types like PennyMac, rental properties have been popular more recently. They are desired by those that like a decent dividend, risks are they are beholden to the swings in the economy and in turn with property values etc. When we had the downturn a lot of them had some big price depreciation and some cut dividends so that would be the risk at any given time. As far as getting in and out of them they trade liquid like any other stock from what I seen. Usually they are not that volatile on a daily basis so they aren't a very good trading vehicle but from an income standpoint they can be a nice regular stream of return on investment when times are stable and growing. Currently, I don't own any REIT's as an FYI.
    edited December 2013
    From my buddy Ken Dillinger

What You Simply MUST Understand

I linked a Youtube presentation a couple of days ago by a professor who explained the exponent thing. It was dry and I bet nobody went and watched the whole series; it was basically an hour long.

Yet if you don't understand this, you understand nothing when it comes to economics and the lies told by both the left and right. You are not stupid, however: you are ignorant.

That ignorance is intentional. Our "educational system", our bankers and our politicians intentionally fail to explain the fundamental concept explained in this Ticker for one and only one reason: Once you understand it - truly understand it - you can never fall victim to a ponzi scheme. Not only that, you will never allow any society you are a member of to fall victim to one either, as you will recognize the inherent danger and demand that they be stopped and the people responsible either locked up or burned at the stake (after a proper trial, of course.)

Ignorance falls to education. It is why we learn, hopefully, so we become less-ignorant. As such I was prodded in email this morning by someone who said "you get this well for a non-scientist" and I had to reply in riposte: Ah, but I am a scientist you see....

Anyway, here we go.... pull yourself a nice Espresso and sit down for a short story that will explain why we're utterly screwed if we don't act and why acting to stop the progression of what is going in our economy right now is not an option - it is an imperative.

There happens to be a particular species of pond lily that is extremely prolific. In fact it grows so fast that it doubles in size through both growth and reproduction in just one day.

We will start with a pond of a surface area of 4096 square feet, or about 64 feet square. We will place within that pond one lily with an area of of one square foot; that is, a lily that is a square of 12 x 12".

This pond contains fish, which would like to live in symbiosis with the algae and other growing plant material within the pond. In order to do some part of the pond's surface must be exposed to the air so that oxygen and carbon dioxide can be exchanged, and some part of the pond's surface must be open to the sun, or the algae that make up a good part of the food the fish eat (we will assume they do not eat the lilies directly) can survive. The lilies will conveniently consume the urea (nitrogen) that the fish excrete, preventing the pond water from becoming poisonous. So long as this symbiosis is maintained all is fine. But if this symbiotic relationship fails all the fish will die.

We are the fish, incidentally, and the lilies are debt.

Now here's the question: Will the fish inevitably die and if so how long, in days, will pass before they perish?

That's easy.

On the first day there is 1 square foot of pond that is covered.
    On the second, 2
    On the third, 4.
    On the fourth, 8.
    On the fifth, 16.
    On the sixth, 32.

Note that on the 6th day just 0.8% of the pond is covered with lilies. You would not detect any problem on the sixth day, I suspect. More than 99% of the pond is open to the sky!

Now here's the nasty truth: If you're a fish you're halfway to being dead!

Wide awake yet? I hope so; let's continue.

On the seventh day 64 square feet are covered.
    On the eighth, 128.
    On the ninth, 256.
    On the tenth, 512.

The pond is now 12.5% covered. More than 80% of the surface area is open to the sky. When you hear someone say "we have 80% of our resource left; we can't be in trouble", consider exactly where you are. Why? You'll see in a moment....

On the eleventh day, 1024 square feet are covered.
    On the twelfth, 2048.
    On the thirteenth day there is no surface open to the sky and every fish in the pond dies.

When did you figure out you're in trouble? Was it on the twelfth day? Well if so you had literally less than 24 hours to commit mass lilicide or you're all dead! You literally can't spend one day debating with your fellow fish even though you still have half the surface area open to the sky on that 11th day.

This is the nature of exponents folks.

When it comes to economics we need to consider what the doubling time is to figure out how soon our situation will get intolerably bad. Math provides us the answer; we can use the natural logarithm to determine time, but most people's eyes fuzz at the beginning of the discussion of "e" and thus I won't explain it that way (those of you who were awake in high school and college math, however, should be perking up right about now.)

Years ago, long before calculators, bankers reduced the use of logarithms to a "rule" called "The Rule of 72." Simply you can take the growth rate of anything and divide that into 72 to find the approximate doubling time. So if we have debt growing at 7% a year in the economy we can divide it into 72 and find that it takes about 10 years for the debt in the system to double. This is an approximation, but it's close enough to do in your head (72 is a convenient number for mental division as it is divisible by both 12 and 6 and 6 of course factors to 2 and 3, so most common multiples can be quickly figured in your head without pencil and paper.)

Now go back and read the lily example again, and remember that when you're one period away from being extinct half of the available resource, in this case the money you earn to pay interest and/or principal on your debt, remains available to you!

Yet even with a fifty percent current economic (in this case) surplus you're just one period away from certain destruction!

Do you see the problem more-clearly now?

All the so-called "economists" (cough-Krugman-cough!) and the various commentators both in the mainstream media and blogosphere either do not understand this or simply refuse to accept and discuss it.

But it doesn't matter whether you choose to accept that you're inevitably doomed in three days when the pond is 12.5% covered with lilies. You see blue sky and breathe easily, yet you are literally three days away from certain extinction and your refusal to accept mathematics cannot change what is about to happen to you! You either start killing lillies FAST or you're dead!

These are facts folks. They are governed by natural laws that are fixed and cannot be avoided. I cannot change them, you cannot change them, Barack Obama cannot change them, the Republicans cannot change them. Nobody can change them.

These facts are why this chart happened:
    akcs-www.jpg

and why, if we don't cut that crap out right now, we are screwed with absolute certainty.

The willful refusal of politicians and financial types, the latter of whom absolutely know this and the former who have no excuse for not understanding it, to discuss this point clearly when it comes to all matters in the economy is why I wrote Leverage.

We cannot avoid the mathematical facts or their effects. Unlike the laws of man that can be evaded through bribery and trickery mathematics cannot be.

You either accept these facts or you suffer the consequences.

One final point and I will leave you to think this over: The World Economic Forum (WEF) said recently that for us to achieve a 3% GDP growth for the next decade we would have to double the total systemic debt. That is a roughly 7% annual growth rate in debt, or a "spread" of about 4% over "growth". In order to do this, the amount of earnings from everyone in the economy that will have to be diverted to interest payments will also have to approximately double. Yet it is the inability to pay that interest (and principal where it is paid down) that is factually known as the trigger for the 2007/08 financial collapse and this growth in debt, at their assumed 3% growth rate in GDP, will produce only a 34% increase in output with which you must pay for that doubling!

We must accept what we have done.

The fact is that if the pond will be covered entirely with lilies on October 31st it is now October 30th.

We have two choices: We either start killing lilies and find a way to keep them from reproducing, even though it appears we have half of our pond still uncovered and all is fine, or we will all perish with certainty.
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    This link to their website FAQ's in the media section is a good start: http://www.mannkindcorp.com/media-room--clinical-trials-faqs.htm

with
    ...so yes if you are considering opening a position then anything in the low 5's and under is going to be ++EV as far as I'm concerned.
    This is now by far and away my biggest holding currently and fully expect it to get approved and also to reach a partnership agreement with Big Pharma also. When these binary events take place (within the next 4 mos. most likely) you will most likely at least double your initial investment with the ultimate potential of getting more than a multiple bagger on this one. Today there was actually an article in the Motley Fool titled will MNKD inhale Novo Nordisk's Profits....there was also a mention over the weekend in the LA Times. Also, you can youtube a video by Dr. Jay Skylar on Afrezza....there is much more that you should be able to find on it as well but the link to their site I posted above is a great place to start. GL going forward -R

You're going to have to tell them to calm down--- I read the above this AM and decided to buy some-- it was at $4.66. In the time it took me to get to broker's site and type in info, it was at $4.80. Probably your deep pockets that ran it up-- anyway, I'm in--- so the FDA can go ahead and not approve it now. :laugh:

Thanks for the stock tips-- keep picking winners.
    edited December 2013
    Nice post UW, you can see everytime they think we're about to get the morphine drip removed (the dreaded taper) how the market reacts...like they are scared to remove it and see if we can stand on our two feet...we can only hope and pray that when they remove the drip albeit shaky that we manage to get through the withdrawals and detox period in somewhat decent fashion.
    edited December 2013
    Dogs, those are forced sales when at the open they sold shares from those that were in margin call area so kudos to you for acting and taking advantage of the unfortunate ones who got theirs sold on them....looking like it should close in decent fashion hopefully getting you in the green by end of trading ;-)
    edited December 2013
    For anyone that has or is entering a position in MNKD the following is a very good article recently published:

http://www.beyondproxy.com/mannkind-corporation/

The best part about this company is the game changer they will be for diabetics IMO
  • gatorshoosiersgatorshoosiers Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    I recently bought galena GALE same price range with potential. My brother works for a competitor that recently went public he got stock options at $6 and sold it the first day he was allowed yesterday netted 56k but he likes GALE a lot.
    edited December 2013
    I picked up 1500 MNKD @4.90 Thanks Reb.
  • golfguru1golfguru1 Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    Thanks Reb picked up 1k today at 4.85 thanks for the input and keep them coming!
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    I picked up 1500 MNKD @4.90 Thanks Reb.

Wow, I wish I had your money-- I thought I was doing good to pick up 15 shares.
    edited December 2013
    Wow, I wish I had your money-- I thought I was doing good to pick up 15 shares.

You know that old saying old timer if I had yours I burn mine that applies here.
    edited December 2013
    Best to all of you and your families this coming year, may all the diabetics (and my fellow MNKD shareholders) get a life changing drug approved that has been long in the making to help improve their lives. Lets all try and get along and join forces to make it a successful and prosperous year ahead. Thanks Ed and moderators for all your time and effort in putting forth an open forum to enrich each other with. -R
  • golfguru1golfguru1 Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    Thanks Reb and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, really appreciate the info and knowledge you provide and look forward to many more picks in 2014! GO MNKD
    edited January 2014
    Just a quick note regarding the price action on MNKD today, it has made its first test of the 200 day moving avg. in awhile. What this means is that it has moved up to a widely watched indicator which when broken (either up or down) brings in technical buyers and sellers (depending which way it gets broken in this case trying to break to the upside). It was a nice move with respect to decent volume on a holiday week friday. I suspect that it will continue to test that price point (5.60 area) early next week and hopefully break it to move up to the next level of resistance (5.90-6.20 area) Have a great weekend and GLTYA! -R
    edited January 2014
    I recently bought galena GALE same price range with potential. My brother works for a competitor that recently went public he got stock options at $6 and sold it the first day he was allowed yesterday netted 56k but he likes GALE a lot.
    Thanks I also pick up some Gale @ $4.21 appreciated this thread guys.
  • gatorshoosiersgatorshoosiers Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Galena Biopharma Inc. (NASDAQ: GALE) may be the home run that biotech investors are looking for. With an FDA-approved pain medication, a partnership with generic giant Teva Pharmaceuticals and a superior pipeline, the stock may be an acquisition target. Aegis Capital has a $5 price target on the stock, while the consensus is about $4.90. Galena closed on Thursday at $5.16. In recent trading, the stock has seen huge volume increases. Big investors may be building a big position.

Read more: Biotech Stocks Under $10 With Huge Upside Potential for 2014 - Arena Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ:ARNA) - 24/7 Wall St. http://247wallst.com/healthcare-business/2014/01/03/biotech-stocks-under-10-with-huge-upside-potential-for-2014/#ixzz2pNqF1VL8
    Follow us: @247wallst on Twitter | 247wallst on Facebook
  • eug44eug44 Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    if anyone has any interest I went long this week on CHKR (pays a 25% dividend currently trading at a 52 week low or thereabout), also bought facebook which I never imagined in a million years I would do - I think over the last 2 years they really figured out how to capitalize on their business model. also, if this is of any value to anyone I work for a major ibank I tried to buy MU but wasn't allowed by our compliance area this could mean nothing or it could mean that we are helping them find a buyer or providing strategic/capital raising advice.

congrats to those that went long with ONVO my stance on them still stays the same, they are bleeding cash and will need to turn a profit at some point very soon if not $11 turns to zero very quickly (but I wish I tailed at $5 )
    edited January 2014
    Why MU? will they be the leaders in DDR 4

Is ONVO shortable? how big is the float? does it trade options.. I shut all my monitors off for the day