Betting Talk

Buffettgambler Discussion Thread

Comments

• TotallyTiltTotallyTilt Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    I'm guessing Worm didn't read past the first sentence in the link :)
  • worm33worm33 Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    I'm guessing Worm didn't read past the first sentence in the link :)

Ha how did I get brought into this? I skimmed it for about 15 seconds looks too high brow for me. I'm not that smart
  • lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    underwraps wrote: »
    Playing high favs in any sport is a recipe for disaster

A bigger recipe for disaster is making general statements like this and applying them to betting on sports.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited April 2013
    lumpy19 wrote: »
    A bigger recipe for disaster is making general statements like this and applying them to betting on sports.

+1

Very few absolutes in life and in sports betting.
  • namathfannamathfan Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Goats, any chance you can make the BG pick thread a sticky?

Thanks.
  • duritodurito Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Playing high favs in any sport is a recipe for disaster

This a common misperception that is not backed up by any data. There may have been a bias towards big underdogs in MLB in the past, but it went the other way in many other sports and those types of things tend to disappear over time.
    edited April 2013
    namathfan wrote: »
    Goats, any chance you can make the BG pick thread a sticky?

Thanks.

That's up to Ed. I'll pass the request along.
    edited April 2013
    Wow didn't see LAA lost in 18. Barely ended a few hours ago,lol
  • buffettgamblerbuffettgambler Senior Handicapper
    edited April 2013
    durito wrote: »
    Wow didn't see LAA lost in 18. Barely ended a few hours ago,lol

Once they hit extra innings, I record them as a loser.
    edited April 2013
    It was 7-2 when I went to bed :(
  • hotbustophotbustop Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    48% of my bets this year have been on the underdog. It just so happens the posted plays are more skewed towards the favorites. Will read the link tomorrow, but have not noticed any targeted market subset aggressively hitting the screen. Nor have I seen any broad-based subset valuation bias.

Sorry I only skimmed this thread so if I missed the answer I apologize, but is this to be interpreted that your best plays are not posted?
  • underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    48% of my bets this year have been on the underdog. It just so happens the posted plays are more skewed towards the favorites. Will read the link tomorrow, but have not noticed any targeted market subset aggressively hitting the screen. Nor have I seen any broad-based subset valuation bias.>>>>

From the day you started the thread up to the picks you have posted now You're on 28 FAVS and 12 Dogs that don't look like 48% dogs to me.
    Are You counting plays which you aren't posting?
  • ct5320ct5320 Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    From the day you started the thread up to the picks you have posted now You're on 28 FAVS and 12 Dogs that don't look like 48% dogs to me.
    Are You counting plays which you aren't posting?

You must have missed part where he said:
    It just so happens the posted plays are more skewed towards the favorites.
    edited April 2013
    Yup I missed that...thanks
  • Vikings23Vikings23 Junior Member
    edited April 2013
    Hold on, I have been playing your games all season and I'm actually down a nice chunk. That's fine but what's not fine is if your playing 10 games a day and only posting 4. I never knew about this. What's the deal?
    edited April 2013
    NOTE to Taco: Time and place, just didn't feel this was one of those, that's all. I have no problem with the occasional .GIF fun.

I'm sure several posters are hoping for a serious response from BG.

P.S. If anyone's confused, the above is a brief explanation for why I deleted a couple posts.
  • JalapanoseJalapanose Banned
    edited April 2013
    It's illogical to assume that any poster is posting ALL of his plays, regardless of the strength of said plays. BG already responded to me earlier in this thread that no, he's never posted his "best" plays, but that he still feels these are +EV.
    edited April 2013
    Jalapanose wrote: »
    It's illogical to assume that any poster is posting ALL of his plays, regardless of the strength of said plays.

Agree.
    Jalapanose wrote: »
    BG already responded to me earlier in this thread that no, he's never posted his "best" plays, but that he still feels these are +EV.

I'm sure some posters missed that. I actually didn't remember him saying that myself. Thanks for pointing it out.
  • TexasHookEmTexasHookEm Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Vikings23 wrote: »
    Hold on, I have been playing your games all season and I'm actually down a nice chunk. That's fine but what's not fine is if your playing 10 games a day and only posting 4. I never knew about this. What's the deal?

He doesn't owe you anything, follow or don't.
  • BeardedTacoBeardedTaco Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    He doesn't owe you anything.

precisely my point illustrated in the humor of a beautiful .gif image

I guess the word "its not fine" made me shake my head.

In a so called "more educated" betting forum I could not possibly think viking's question could be seen as serious but apparently I was wrong
  • TexasHookEmTexasHookEm Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    precisely my point illustrated in the humor of a beautiful .gif image

Damn it, I wish I had seen it.
  • lilylily Senior Member
    edited April 2013

You cant be down much if you followed B.G...
  • chuckhchuckh Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    I have not been following him nor paid much attention to his plays. Surely someone can come up with a record of his posted plays?
    edited April 2013
    So, Mr, BUFFETT how do get the plays you don't post?? do we have to own the PREFERRED CLASS A STOCK :)

buffett.jpg
  • lilylily Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    We are not getting SY every play either..some plays dont make it thru the overnights..
    edited April 2013
    chuckh wrote: »
    I have not been following him nor paid much attention to his plays. Surely someone can come up with a record of his posted plays?

He's been updating his own record fairly regularly. Check his picks thread.
  • SquigglySquiggly Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Hold on, I have been playing your games all season...

Another way of saying this is "Hold on, I have been playing your games for 13 days..."
    edited April 2013
    He didn't say they weren't his best plays, he said:
    Wasn't necessarily giving out "best" plays elsewhere either, but no matter where I post, the posted plays have a certain amount of perceived +EV to post it.

Asking a professional to post all of their wagers on a forum is a bit ridiculous. There would be countless posts proclaiming that no one could possibly win betting that many games a day.

BG is probably the most generous sharp on the forums. Take advantage of that and ask him questions and you should learn something here. I hope too.
  • JalapanoseJalapanose Banned
    edited April 2013
    Great post as usual, taco.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    To Follow blindly you have no complaint you play at your own risk regardless if there all his plays or not. IMO I could be way off but if your not selling and your betting and you decide to post only certain games I don't get it. The apologist said he stated that before hand if he said that I don't remember and I'm certainly not going to check because I really don't care and don't plan on following. I do follow Stevie Y blindly and I have never followed anyone blindly except him because I pretty much understand most of his plays.

I have nothing against BG I don't know him and I honestly wish him well. He seems to know a lot about the Market with his write-ups I read and pick up a tid bit here and there but for the most part to be honest half of what he says I don't know what he's talking about. I was actually surprised he didn't play the Yanks last night. The point to this is he has the right to post and hold back anything he wants and doesn't have to explain anything to anyone or give anyone warning that from what I'm getting here he hasn't been sharing all his picks and sounds like he's winning for the year. Best of luck BG

Jalapanose
    It's illogical to assume that any poster is posting ALL of his plays, regardless of the strength of said plays. BG already responded to me earlier in this thread that no, he's never posted his "best" plays, but that he still feels these are +EV.

I do have two questions, Why is it Illogical to assume that any poster is posting all his plays. If so why bother keeping a record just put some plays out there and let it go at that.

Like I said I'm not looking for what he said and I'm going to assume he did say it that he's never posted his best plays but if you should pass by and see it cut and paste it. so the guys that are followed blindly know they were warned it would be the right thing to do.