Betting Talk

Punchline MLB Picks 18 BM openers, PS closers

Comments

• danshandanshan Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    looking at those numbers it does not to me look like CLV and ROI correlate but we all THINK they do.

I wish people that know would chime in on what they think and how they think it works because it seems very arty and less sciencey
  • gobucks2gobucks2 Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    They absolutely correlate. I think what you mean is there is not a perfect correlation. And, of course there isn't. There will always be some noise present, as well as other factors not captured by CLV that predict success. I still think CLV is the best and largest indicator, though.
    edited May 2018
    not even a close relation, I mean they are hard to see, I think the CLV game is more for the house who does thousands upon thousands of bets and then it comes back to that number, not really sure but I mean the true measure of success is huge quantity but in a limited arena, I say more importantly than a CLV % is the better than a coin toss over a large number of bets. I think I would rather have 8 out of 10 games the line went my way than overall +CLV on 10 games. I think the best indicator of sucess besides 1000000 results is getting close to 8 out of 10 games the line moves in your direction. I mean because PInnacle who I assume has a pretty decent model cant even get close to the closing line. I think if you choose the Yankees at 150 and they close at 130 on average 8 out of 10 times you will do a lot better than a guy who bets the yankees 10 times and 9 go against him by 1% and 1 goes all the way his way for 15%
    edited May 2018
    5/3 Trevor Williams Jeremy Hellickson Nationals -104 8.5
    5/3 Julio Teheran Jason Vargas Mets 100 9
    5/3 Alex Wood Patrick Corbin Diamondbacks -113 7
    5/3 Masahiro Tanaka Lance McCullers Astros -130 8
    5/3 Mike Fiers Eric Skoglund Royals 120 8
    5/3 Jaime Garcia Carlos Carrasco Indians -213 8
    edited May 2018
    here is an example of how I think CLV is deceptive a perfect example

Date Starter Team My guess Bet at CLV curent odds
    5/2 Danny Duffy Royals 135 178 -0.36% 173
    5/2 Luis Severino Yankees-119 112 6.97% -123
    5/2 Dylan Bundy Orioles 105 123 -3.13% 134
    Here I did good on 1 game and it looks like my CLV is +1.16% avg but in reality this to me is an OK at best day because 2 out of 3 are going my direction but one good thing is the good clv weight is on the highest bet
  • jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    look at this mets line opened at -180 at pinny ....now look at it ...baseball lines are crazy ....and nothing for nothing if the mets got down to -140 it would be a play for me.
    edited May 2018
    I got the Degrom game at -178 and I am still lost in space on the ORioles, one day I am perfect on the line and the other 4 days I am off by 30 cents, I dont get it
    edited May 2018
    Model Play
    Tigers +106 .94for1
    Pirates +122 .82for1
    edited May 2018
    Model Record
    21-28 42.86% avg line 48.85%
    Units -5.48
    CLV 0% I have played nearly 50 games and have not moved one cent in the right direction, I am just paying the house!

SDQL Record
    1-0 100%
    Units +1
    CLV who cares this wins without value everyday!
    edited May 2018
    Model Play
    Cardinals -106 1.06for1

SDQL Play
    Astros -189 1.89for1
    edited May 2018
    i was close to firing on the cards only if at pk or dog ....good luck
    edited May 2018
    I have -124 for the Cards but I have been so off, I am pretty much not trusting much right now!
    edited May 2018
    Model Record
    22-28 42.86% avg line 48.90%
    Units -4.48
    CLV 0.03%

SDQL Record
    2-0 100% Avg. 65.69%
    Units +2
    CLV -.54%
    edited May 2018
    Model Picks
    Reds -119 1.19for1
    Rays -105 1.05for1
    Red Sox -144 1.44for1

SDQL Pick
    Dodgers -197 1.97for1
    edited May 2018
    My mistake Dodgers are not actually away so that line is not true I forgot about the Mexico series so I will cancel out the Dodgers with
    Padres +184 .54for1
    edited May 2018
    What is going on with the Reds, I got the Reds way way more favorite and they keep dropping?
    edited May 2018
    Model Record
    24-29 45.28% avg line 49.24%
    Units -3.67
    CLV 0.02%

SDQL Record
    3-1 75%
    Units +1.03
    CLV -.33%
    edited May 2018
    SDQL Play
    Red Sox -230 2.3for1
    edited May 2018
    Model Play
    Brewers -120 1.2 for 1
    Phillies +185 .55for 1
    edited May 2018
    i dont care what your line is on the sox but you shouldnt be laying that kind of money ....
    edited May 2018
    jets96 wrote: »
    i dont care what your line is on the sox but you shouldnt be laying that kind of money ....

its my stupid sdql play, the way it supposedly works is
    since 2008 win % is 67.7% and the and the line is 65.03% so overall should be a winner, it has zero to do with my model plays
  • buckeyesbuckeyes Senior Member
    edited May 2018

So you wouldn’t lay those odds even if you knew the play to be +ev? Classic
    edited May 2018
    I personally have not seen +EV on any of these bets and they rarely move in my direction for example today I got the Rangers at +174 so if I was betting model wise on this I would take the Rangers
    edited May 2018
    buckeyes wrote: »
    So you wouldn’t lay those odds even if you knew the play to be +ev? Classic

I was just trying to help him out , you better have a pretty good read on the game if you are laying that.

Personally ,not very often,I will have many ,many other plays at less risk, and if i did, id go to step 2 and split the bet, lay some on money line and lay the 1.5 runs
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    I was just trying to help him out , you better have a pretty good read on the game if you are laying that.

Personally ,not very often,I will have many ,many other plays at less risk, and if i did, id go to step 2 and split the bet, lay some on money line and lay the 1.5 runs

Correct me if I'm wrong but the point buckeyes is making is if you believe in your line and you make Sale -315 (Like I did) there's nothing wrong with betting him at -230. I don't lay that price very often if at all but I wouldn't tell people that they're wrong if that feel the -230 has value. I agree a steady diet of $2+ favorites just because they're suppose to win is not a winning formula but you see a game like Boston today with Sale and it's moving into the -250 range you really don't think that's public money do you. The public will possibly play the RL or parlay it.
    edited May 2018
    I think jets advice is solid, I think people can think they are killing it because they hit a couple -250s in a row and they dont understand that eventually those teams do lose and they will lose at least margin over time. -250 picks make people think or look like they know what they are doing but in reality they are the same as any other bet just beat the margin and you will survive.
    edited May 2018
    Line -220 is 255-123 -1.9% with and -4% against
    Line -120 1329-1187 -3.2 with and -1% against
    Line -165 671-408 -.1% with and -3.6% against
    line -300 62-14 8.8% for -35.8% against BUT not enough games
    but yeah it seems like the line dont matter its all about the margin but like Old man said betting -2s blind will cost you the margin but it will seem like you are doing better cause you win more times!
    edited May 2018
    ot am with you , BUT you can put any number you want on it ...i have a limit , my limit on the red sox is -190 , anything above that, there is more risk then reward.
    Danshan is learning ,I just didn't want him to fall into the trap of starting to think he was going to win long term betting two to one or more.

Danshan , its old timer not old man , give the man the respect he deserves. And i like you numbers brother
    edited May 2018
    Oh Jets I meant no disrespect, it was just a little poke for "old times" sake pun intended, guy is mean to me but I should be the bigger guy. I do apologize old timer and it really was meant lighthearted, sorry if it offended you!
    edited May 2018
    danshan wrote: »
    Oh Jets I meant no disrespect, it was just a little poke for "old times" sake pun intended, guy is mean to me but I should be the bigger guy. I do apologize old timer and it really was meant lighthearted, sorry if it offended you!

No worries ,u have to have thick skin in this bizx