Betting Talk

Danshan's Island Thread

Comments

• rookrook Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    danshan wrote: »
    say you are skilled and your spoils come from skill, how do you know when your method or model lost its effectiveness before you are bankrupt?

I don’t know. I might well go bankrupt. In my favor is that I am kind of an antsy, cowardly guy, and any losing trend will set me on high alert and cause me to consider tweaking/reversing directions.
  • danshandanshan Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    rook wrote: »
    I don’t know. I might well go bankrupt. In my favor is that I am kind of an antsy, cowardly guy, and any losing trend will set me on high alert and cause me to consider tweaking/reversing directions.

trust me I feel that way on every possession!
  • jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    rook , am curious , am going to go back and see what i had on that game ..
  • rookrook Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    maybe not perfect but I really like this
    example
    say total is 160 pre game so basically 80 and 80 per half
    lets say the teams go nuts and score 100 in the 1st half
    so now we got 100 scored 1st half and lots of people say oh they are shooting great no defense whatever and say over 180 is a steal, 2 things happen, 1 not much volume, 2 people can bet that up and over because they think the 1st half is indicative of what the 2nd half will do
    pre game 160
    scored 100 and should get 80 more so current live is like 180
    and people bet that over so now its over 180 -125-135 or so
    so now you get 180 at +115 or +120 and you now basically have a coin flip at +115 or +120 that is a winning position

this is a ton of assumptions and not a real scenario but just to express the idea

hope it made sense

I tend to shy away from totals but yeah, so for me my lean in that scenario would be to bet the under on the 180 to be more in line with the original 160 total. But not until I got a little more granular and figured out why the defense was bad or why the shooting was good. In the nba there are a lot of dominant teams trying to see how little effort they can put out during the first 2 or 3 quarters of the game against a dog meat team while still winning in the end. Is that why the defense was so bad and the shooting was so good in the first half?
    edited July 2019
    the idea for me is less that and more the getting a coin flip at +money
  • rookrook Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    jets96 wrote: »
    rook , am curious , am going to go back and see what i had on that game ..

You didn’t make a call on the game in your thread, but I’m sure you made a line for it. But your nba thread calls are still another thing I factor in for both pre-game and in-game betting. Then there’s off season goof-around betting. When I am in Nevada I support my craps habit by tailing jets96 mlb calls and danshan WNBA calls. I don’t know enough to do anything but blind tail in mlb and WNBA...
    edited July 2019
    so rook, my line on that clipper/laker game was clippers -1.37 , game opened at lakers -3.5 ,closed at -4.
    That's 5.37 off my line and a clear no bet for me , am thinking that normal folks dont break down what teams do on back to back nights and give the rested team to much credit , i have many subsets to look back on and even though the clippers did win that game, there were some subsets that told me it still wasn't worth putting my money on.
  • rookrook Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    the idea for me is less that and more the getting a coin flip at +money

That’s another probably huge mistake I make. Just like I try to bet games where one or 2 points spread shift makes little difference to me, I also make the mistake of paying too little attention to the juice. Lots of times I pay large juice simply because I feel so sure of the outcome. I seem to be getting better about that, though...

Here’s a question: Pistons vs Bucks in the playoffs, first game. Milwaukee is serious about this game. Detroit is missing almost all its firepower, including Blake Griffin. The money line is something like Milwaukee -3400. Is it a good bet, odd-wise to take the Bucks moneyline?
    edited July 2019
    well if history means anything , i historical have had monster 2nd haves in mlb, one year posting on SSB i think i was down close to 20 units the first half and finished up 35 units. We shall see what happens, am up a handful this year and betting way too many favorites for me ,way too many, am normally a dog better in everything esp nba.
    edited July 2019
    That’s another probably huge mistake I make. Just like I try to bet games where one or 2 points spread shift makes little difference to me, I also make the mistake of paying too little attention to the juice. Lots of times I pay large juice simply because I feel so sure of the outcome. I seem to be getting better about that, though...

Here’s a question: Pistons vs Bucks in the playoffs, first game. Milwaukee is serious about this game. Detroit is missing almost all its firepower, including Blake Griffin. The money line is something like Milwaukee -3400. Is it a good bet, odd-wise to take the Bucks moneyline?

those scenarios of huge odds are a little tricky, you have to understand those are not your typical 1 to 2% of bankroll scenarios first off and you have to understand that one loss can mean a long time to get back on track with those. I personally am not willing to put up enough on that to make the win worth the effort, so I would stay away from it
  • rookrook Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    jets96 wrote: »
    so rook, my line on that clipper/laker game was clippers -1.37 , game opened at lakers -3.5 ,closed at -4.
    That's 5.37 off my line and a clear no bet for me , am thinking that normal folks dont break down what teams do on back to back nights and give the rested team to much credit , i have many subsets to look back on and even though the clippers did win that game, there were some subsets that told me it still wasn't worth putting my money on.

I’m not sure, but though LeBron was playing, he might have already been showing some signs of significant wear and tear. There were probably still some residual effects of the mid-season trades where Pelinka basically tried to ship the entire young Lakers crew off to New Orleans for Anthony Davis. And the Clippers had a total chip on their shoulders about beating the Lakers. But most cappers aren’t going to be looking farther than whether Lebron was playing or not, and certainly wouldn’t be attaching numbers to the fact that Kyle Kuzma’s feelings were hurt. Or that Patrick Beverly was completely committed to winning that game...
    edited July 2019
    Rook , your right , I have no clue about players , I have a friend who loves hockey, knows every team and every player on their 4th lines....when i really like a hockey game, i dont model hockey but i do know key stats to look at and have a few systems that have worked over the years but basically i just call him and say freddy what you think about the rangers tonight , he will talk to me for 5 minutes telling how this guy is hurt and its going to hurt the d and on and on. He is basically gambling and doesnt know it.
    If i knew all that and had the clippers slight favorites i wouldve put some cash on it myself.
  • rookrook Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    R40 wrote: »
    Winning gamblers get into gambling because they have confidence they can beat the line and they like the game.

I’m not sure if you mean winning gamblers like the game of gambling itself, but for me, I literally love the game of nba basketball. If my winning isn’t just a temporary spate of good luck, then it would most likely be because I follow a lot of players and teams very closely. That can get tedious, and I wouldn’t be able to suffer through that much tediousness if some other venue was involved. But it is livable if you really enjoy the game.
    edited July 2019
    I love the math and the process. I really think the process is so entertaining. I am passionate about the entire process of betting
    edited July 2019
    its heartbreaking when you see games you beat the line and just lose but the reality is the line value will come even when it is so hard to see in losses
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    I’m not sure if you mean winning gamblers like the game of gambling itself, but for me, I literally love the game of nba basketball. If my winning isn’t just a temporary spate of good luck, then it would most likely be because I follow a lot of players and teams very closely. That can get tedious, and I wouldn’t be able to suffer through that much tediousness if some other venue was involved. But it is livable if you really enjoy the game.

Yes, I mean the analysis of gambling. If you are not in it because you don't just like thinking about it, you are probably not going to win. The tediousness is what it is all about. That is why there are few winners. The winners are psychos. If the average gambler knew what it took to win, they would quit on the spot.
    edited July 2019
    Man I love the game, I love a brand new spreadsheet with nothing on it and a tab with 100 ideas and I just start eliminating them as not mattering one by one. I live on spreadsheets! I love this game, its my passion!
  • rookrook Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    Yes, I mean the analysis of gambling. If you are not in it because you don't just like thinking about it, you are probably not going to win. The tediousness is what it is all about. That is why there are few winners. The winners are psychos. If the average gambler knew what it took to win, they would quit on the spot.

I agree. It’s paradoxical that I was lured into this endeavor by the thrill of the gamble and the prospect of easy money. But I was never able to win anything until I started working hard and trying to avoid the thrill of the gamble.
    edited July 2019
    I am attracted to the its impossible to win.
  • rookrook Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    Man I love the game, I love a brand new spreadsheet with nothing on it and a tab with 100 ideas and I just start eliminating them as not mattering one by one. I live on spreadsheets! I love this game, its my passion!

Is what you do now a continuation of what you used to do in financial markets, or is it something totally different? Did you feel any of the same passion in your previous work?
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited July 2019

Yes, you have what it takes to win. Your problem is that you want to win at the hardest stuff. If you focused on other stuff, you would probably be a professional.
  • rookrook Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    I am attracted to the its impossible to win.

And if you do win, there’s nothing anybody can say or do to take that away from you. (Though I suspect it’s not really that impossible to win.)
    edited July 2019
    I just joined a new cult, this cult's thing is volume. so now I am on the "justice for Volume" cardboard sign. I bet tennis and soccer and of course all US major sports

- - - Updated - - -

today's bets so far just to give you an idea

<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>
    <colgroup><col style="width: 213px"></colgroup><tbody>
    ON Natalia Vikhlyantseva

AGAINST Mona Barthel

AGAINST Mona Barthel

ON Jozef Kovalik

AGAINST N Mahut / E Roger-Vasselin

ON Elina Svitolina

AGAINST Over 22

AGAINST Elina Svitolina +4

AGAINST Elina Svitolina +3.5

AGAINST Elina Svitolina

AGAINST Elina Svitolina (-1.5 Sets)

ON Fiona Ferro -4

AGAINST Over 2.25

AGAINST Gianluigi Quinzi

AGAINST Gianluigi Quinzi

ON Serena Williams (-1.5 Sets)

AGAINST Serena Williams (-1.5 Sets)

ON Serena Williams (+1.5 Sets)

ON Serena Williams -6

ON Over 20

ON Serena Williams

ON Serena Williams -4.5

AGAINST Ventspils

ON N Melichar / B Soares

AGAINST Trans Narva (n)

AGAINST SCR Altach +1.25

AGAINST Cote d'Ivoire +0

</tbody>
    edited July 2019
    And if you do win, there’s nothing anybody can say or do to take that away from you. (Though I suspect it’s not really that impossible to win.)
    to win long term anything significant it is really difficult.
    I keep hearing about all these winners but I have met very few long term winners and even fewer I think will continue to win. I think regulation is going to keep growing and I think it will just get harder and harder with limits and books banning players.
    in the US I really do not see how someone can 100% legally win betting sports. I use sites to bet that are not "legal" in the US and if you want to talk about illegal activities, there are a zillion illegal ways to make money.

think about it what is the best price a US 100%legal bettor can get on the Rangers game and even if he gets a good price how much can he get down? and if he is a long term winner, how long can he bet at those books that will accept his legal US bet
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    I keep hearing about all these winners but I have met very few long term winners and even fewer I think will continue to win. I think regulation is going to keep growing and I think it will just get harder and harder with limits and books banning players.
    in the US I really do not see how someone can 100% legally win betting sports. I use sites to bet that are not "legal" in the US and if you want to talk about illegal activities, there are a zillion illegal ways to make money.

think about it what is the best price a US 100%legal bettor can get on the Rangers game and even if he gets a good price how much can he get down? and if he is a long term winner, how long can he bet at those books that will accept his legal US bet

Almost none of the people that you hear about winning are betting professional sports.
    edited July 2019
    what are they betting?
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    what are they betting?

college football and college basketball. Baseball is probably the only professional sport that someone can really expect to win at because of the favorable odds and huge amount of handicapping opportunities.
    edited July 2019
    I have not looked at injuries yet but I am posting tomorrows WNBA now

<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>
    <colgroup><col style="width: 43px"><col width="42"><col width="83"><col width="50"></colgroup><tbody>
    7/12
    Los
    Sparks

7/12
    Indi
    Fever

7/12
    Minn
    Lynx

7/12
    Atla
    Dream

7/12
    Phoe
    Mercury

7/12
    Conn
    Sun

7/12
    New
    Liberty

7/12
    Chic
    Sky

7/12
    Dall
    Wings

7/12
    Seat
    Storm

</tbody>

- - - Updated - - -
    college football and college basketball. Baseball is probably the only professional sport that someone can really expect to win at because of the favorable odds and huge amount of handicapping opportunities.

yeah I will look at College stuff moving forward just because of the volume
  • rookrook Senior Member
    edited July 2019

OK, can you give me a ballpark estimation of what amount of time constitutes “long term”?
    edited July 2019
    I would say >5000 and realistically probably over 10000 bets. and important point NOT paper bets, these got to be real bets placed for real money, because getting bets down is as important as picking winners!

see yourself how easy it is to win on a 1000 game set
    http://www.shodor.org/interactivate/activities/AdjustableSpinner/
    set the number of sectors to 2 and put spins at 1000 and see you win break even about 4 out of 10 times, now try the same thing at 5000 and you see its way more stable now do 10000 and see its super stable, winning record after 500-1000 games is not worthy of even looking at seriously unless you crush the line >65% of the time