Today with two added books
Able to get one play at 1/2 point better
Able to get one at 1 1/2 points worse
able to get two at 2 points worse
Info only

Comments

• PredatorPredator Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    had four outs to begin season with two beat me every time and im on it (text phone computer) so was left with two outs today and only got one release line everything beat me by 2 pts and i wont lay that big juice just to get the line i think this year is the worst seems like they are all beating us to the move and i cannot be any quicker ?????
  • buckeyesbuckeyes Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Had 3 books open and couldn't get a single line even though I was close on one.
  • LancerLancer Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    i know im being narrow minded here, and im a numbers guy, so I understand line value, but taking each game on its own, if you (or someone you follow, eg. Ed) likes a game enough to wager $$ on it, why is 1-2 points a big deal (or deal killer)?? And, yes, I do understand "key" numbers (3, 7, et al), but if you like Wisky to cover at -2, you wouldn't take them at -4??? doesn't that mean you are predicting they win by only 3 pts?? if you are that concerned about the spread why wouldn't it be a no play for you from the get go???

I would appreciate all feedback on this, but again, I do know about line value, key #'s, etc, so is there something else?
  • blackbullblackbull Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Every trader requires a certain degree of edge (the good ones measure them in %, not points) so when a price moves, it's cutting into that required %value amount needed to strike. If it moves enough (and 1 to 2 points is VERY significant in most instances), the amount of %value available post-move no longer meets strike requirements and therefore the trade is no longer a "Go." Shoot, a 0.5 point move puts me on or off a lot of positions, so a 1-2 point move will usually take it out of my range. (a juiced number can just as easily put it in or out of my range too, fyi)

* Of course, not all moves are the same. Every # is valued differently.
  • originalokieoriginalokie Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Ed's released lines over what lines we are able to grab, over a season will hive him more wins vs. his clients
    Check this out in archives, using one, two points variation
    Just real hard to grab posted lines
  • ebemissebemiss Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Lancer wrote: »
    i know im being narrow minded here, and im a numbers guy, so I understand line value, but taking each game on its own, if you (or someone you follow, eg. Ed) likes a game enough to wager $$ on it, why is 1-2 points a big deal (or deal killer)?? And, yes, I do understand "key" numbers (3, 7, et al), but if you like Wisky to cover at -2, you wouldn't take them at -4??? doesn't that mean you are predicting they win by only 3 pts?? if you are that concerned about the spread why wouldn't it be a no play for you from the get go???
    I would appreciate all feedback on this, but again, I do know about line value, key #'s, etc, so is there something else?

With every half point of value lost your overall chance of a profit decreases. Chart from the site:

handicapper.net/ras-clv-table.html

It's broken down about as clear as it can be. Winning pct goes down and overall units go down. It does effect the overall bottom line.

They are proven winners so you can still make money. However you will make less money not getting the line as the chart clearly proves.
    edited September 2015
    ebemiss wrote: »
    With every half point of value lost your overall chance of a profit decreases. Chart from the site:

handicapper.net/ras-clv-table.html

It's broken down about as clear as it can be. Winning pct goes down and overall units go down. It does effect the overall bottom line.

They are proven winners so you can still make money. However you will make less money not getting the line as the chart clearly proves.

While the point is illustrated with the chart, that is an EXTREMELY small sample to predict future %'s off of; especially in a market that continues to become more efficient. I would not expect to win at the closing number going forward with RAS.
  • golfer1000golfer1000 Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Let's just hope the points don't matter as much as last year. Last year it was fuckin unreal how many times I got middled. It was sickening actually. I saw a ton of big moves on Tuesday after the opening. I'm going to personally bet most of my totals on Tuesdays now. One of the plays we have now was 2 points better on Tuesday than it was on the release today. I liked it too so I knew what the number was yesterday. I haven't checked the line history on the other 3 plays.
    edited September 2015
    golfer1000 wrote: »
    Let's just hope the points don't matter as much as last year.

Theoretically speaking: the points ALWAYS matter ;)
    edited September 2015
    blackbull wrote: »
    While the point is illustrated with the chart, that is an EXTREMELY small sample to predict future %'s off of; especially in a market that continues to become more efficient. I would not expect to win at the closing number going forward with RAS.

I was referencing the chart in response to Lancer's post about being narrow minded. It illustrates each half point of movement away from the release number.

It seems simple to me. If you can't handicap the games yourself and want to play them. The options with the service offered here are:

-Winning less but still winning (by not getting the release line all the time with RAS plays) or.....

-Losing all the time or down overall for the season (playing the games on your own)

Everyone can make that decision on their own.
    edited September 2015
    Just my 2 cents, I bet we lost a bunch of releases from yesterday morning to this morning.
    edited September 2015
    Everyone can make that decision on their own.

Of course they can, and they should. But when a chart is provided to "aid them" in their decision making process, it should be made clear whether that "educational aid" is worthy of being relied upon and to what degree. Otherwise it leads to miseducation. And I'm sure nobody wants that, right? ;)
    edited September 2015
    Of course they can, and they should. But when a chart is provided to "aid them" in their decision making process, it should be made clear whether that "educational aid" is worthy of being relied upon and to what degree. Otherwise it leads to miseducation. And I'm sure nobody wants that, right? ;)

It clearly shows that the farther away from the release line you are the less likely you are of winning. Correct? Last year you would have lost a bunch if you had bet all the games at closing. It says that right on the chart. Seems pretty clear to me, if you can read, what the chart is saying.
    edited September 2015
    It clearly shows that the farther away from the release line you are the less likely you are of winning. Correct? Last year you would have lost a bunch if you had bet all the games at closing. It says that right on the chart. Seems pretty clear to me, if you can read, what the chart is saying.

So to be clear, you disagree with me when I say that it is not a profitable proposition to play RAS at close going forward?
    edited September 2015
    So to be clear, you disagree with me when I say that it is not a profitable proposition to play RAS at close going forward?

Why do you feel that it won't be profitable going forward? I'm just curious.
    edited September 2015
    Why do you feel that it won't be profitable going forward? I'm just curious.

My friend, the key part in that statement is "at close." The CFB market is very efficient. Tons of intellectual competitors attacking. So I don't believe that RAS' price is more accurate than that of the aggregate of intellectual competitors attacking this marketplace (meaning the price at close).
    edited September 2015

Don't put words in my mouth. I said if you played last years games at close you lost. That's what I wrote.

It all depends how far away the closing number is. Is it 4 points? Is it a half a point? I don't know and ultimately don't care.

I don't subscribe. I generate plays on my own. If people want to bet the games at close then bet them. My only purpose was to post the chart showing that the farther away from the release number you are, the less money you will win. FACT.
    edited September 2015
    Y
    My friend, the key part in that statement is "at close." The CFB market is very efficient. Tons of intellectual competitors attacking. So I don't believe that RAS' price is more accurate than that of the aggregate of intellectual competitors attacking this marketplace (meaning the price at close).

I know your referring to the closing number. And agree with what you are saying, but its been profitable with over 400 plays so far tracking it. I don't know if it will or not, but it wouldn't shock me if it continues to be profitable, assuming he doesn't lose his edge.
    edited September 2015
    Don't put words in my mouth. I said if you played last years games at close you lost. That's what I wrote.

It all depends how far away the closing number is. Is it 4 points? Is it a half a point? I don't know and ultimately don't care.

I don't subscribe. I generate plays on my own. If people want to bet the games at close then bet them. My only purpose was to post the chart showing that the farther away from the release number you are, the less money you will win. FACT.

See, it's interesting to me how upset you get over my clarification of the point you were trying to make. Why does further education and clarification of the chart bother you? My advice serves only to help those understand the realities of that chart and to better understand it. Do you not want people to understand the chart better and to make a better decision for themselves?

Further, you treat this as a "FACT" or "NO FACT" issue. It is not. Do you win less money as you get "farther away from the release number?" Yes, you do. But will you win money when you obtain a # that is as far away as # is when it's at close (as the 5 year average suggests)? No, IMO you will not.
    edited September 2015
    Honestly I could care less. You just don't seem to get that. I never said that I disagreed with you. You are a "trader". I'm just a lowly handicapper. I'll defer to your obvious expertise.
    edited September 2015
    Y

I know your referring to the closing number. And agree with what you are saying, but its been profitable with over 400 plays so far tracking it. I don't know if it will or not, but it wouldn't shock me if it continues to be profitable, assuming he doesn't lose his edge.

(1) 400 plays is EXTREMELY insignificant, given the type of data

(2) He is competing against bigger boys now and so his edge is "lost" at close by virtue of more intelligent minds being factored in by close

So to be clear: by taking his positions at close, you are "betting" on him being better than the aggregate of intelligent traders attacking this marketplace. If that is a position you feel is profitable, then by all means: be my guest...
    edited September 2015
    Honestly I could care less. You just don't seem to get that. I never said that I disagreed with you. You are a "trader". I'm just a lowly handicapper. I'll defer to your obvious expertise.

You should, but I have a feeling that you won't ;)
    edited September 2015
    (1) 400 plays is EXTREMELY insignificant, given the type of data

(2) He is competing against bigger boys now and so his edge is "lost" at close by virtue of more intelligent minds being factored in by close

So to be clear: by taking his positions at close, you are "betting" on him being better than the aggregate of intelligent traders attacking this marketplace. If that is a position you feel is profitable, then by all means: be my guest...

Not trying to start a war here but this could be an interesting topic of discussion. Why/how do you know the market is more efficient than it was 5 years ago? What data do we have that tells us that? Are closers more accurate than 5 years ago? How much stronger are openers for that matter? I'd argue that openers aren't any sharper than 5 years ago. His clv is about the same if not higher now. But that doesn't mean the closers aren't more accurate. Interesting topic for discussion.
  • dtrain11dtrain11 Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    For what it's worth, I got 3 plays at release and one .5 point better. Kinda scary actually. I prefer not to say how I'm getting down, but it's usually not that easy
    edited September 2015
    Not trying to start a war here but this could be an interesting topic of discussion. Why/how do you know the market is more efficient than it was 5 years ago? What data do we have that tells us that? Are closers more accurate than 5 years ago? How much stronger are openers for that matter? I'd argue that openers aren't any sharper than 5 years ago. His clv is about the same if not higher now. But that doesn't mean the closers aren't more accurate. Interesting topic for discussion.

I have given my advice on the topic. TIA
    edited September 2015
    I have given my advice on the topic. TIA

So you have no hard evidence that says closers are sharper than they were 5 years ago? To me, that is the only way you could prove the market is more efficient now than 5 years ago.
    edited September 2015
    So you have no hard evidence that says closers are sharper than they were 5 years ago? To me, that is the only way you could prove the market is more efficient now than 5 years ago.

No golfer, I just really don't care if u listen to my advice or not. It's your funeral...
    edited September 2015
    And FYI: if you follow anyone who suggests otherwise...run, don't walk...
    edited September 2015
    And FYI: if you follow anyone who suggests otherwise...run, don't walk...

I am not disagreeing with what your saying!!!! I'm asking a question. I agree that if your playing ANYONES games at close its generally going to end up being not a good thing long term, I agree with that. But I'm asking you how we know/think the market is more efficient now vs 5 years ago? I think it's something that we should discuss on this board honestly.
    edited September 2015
    What I'm asking has nothing do with RAS. Just talking markets in general.

On a side note: I'm sure Ed would be the first one to tell a client that he wouldn't recommend playing his games at the closing number, but I still wouldn't want to be on the other side.