Comments

• underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    2sportguy wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance but what is RTP ?

I hate abbreviations to. Roughing the punter
  • Sportsguy1Sportsguy1 Junior Member
    edited May 2014
    "His average edge last year vs no vig pinny close was -0.374% which isn't any different than this year." - durito

I think its incorrect to use the 2013 winning season as a baseline to establish sharpness. As you know, win/loss records can be extremely misleading which is why we examine CLV in the first place. So basically BG's winning over a prior sample with negative CLV demonstrates that we need not worry now that he has no EV. The obvious counterargument is: he got lucky in the win/loss category and performed better than his true edge.

I saw some old NFL posts of his where he religiously charted the CLV over the week, explicitly using it as a barometer of whether his picks were good. Now we have no CLV and somehow CLV is no longer important. BG has said we must know when to throw away the textbook (not sure if BG knew he had not actually thrown away the textbook but rather never had it as shown by his last year's CLV). Then a vague reference to the board being a ground for manipulating. And I've asked BG to clarify this twice now what he has meant by that and am eagerly anticipating some kind of response.
    edited May 2014
    Then a vague reference to the board being a ground for manipulating

What else could it be? Do you actually think it shows the true action :laughing:
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    2sportguy wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance but what is RTP ?

Sorry. What underwraps said.
  • TotallyTiltTotallyTilt Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    lumpy19 wrote: »
    I don't think people are afraid to discuss things

1. They don't know the answers
    2. They don't want to give anything away

1. is sort of my point. When you have a complicated topic, most people don't know the answers. That's why you share knowledge and ask questions.

2. is probably true to varying degrees with everyone. I think the people posting here aren't afraid to give some information away, it's likely the people not posting at all that aren't parting with anything.
    edited May 2014
    underwraps wrote: »
    What else could it be? Do you actually think it shows the true action :laughing:

If it doesn't show at least most of the true action, then why do we care about CLV at all?
  • worm33worm33 Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    Dr. H wrote: »
    If it doesn't show at least most of the true action, then why do we care about CLV at all?

I have no idea about other sports but with baseball imo the screen shows 99 percent of the "true action"
    edited May 2014

The manipulation takes place early to mid/late afternoon until they get the price they want. Then they wager their way back slowly on the other side until they get noticed and they stop. CLV is only good if you know the responsible parties
    edited May 2014
    worm33 wrote: »
    I have no idea about other sports but with baseball imo the screen shows 99 percent of the "true action"

I'm with ya.
  • duritodurito Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    Sportsguy1 wrote: »
    "His average edge last year vs no vig pinny close was -0.374% which isn't any different than this year." - durito

I think its incorrect to use the 2013 winning season as a baseline to establish sharpness. As you know, win/loss records can be extremely misleading which is why we examine CLV in the first place. So basically BG's winning over a prior sample with negative CLV demonstrates that we need not worry now that he has no EV. The obvious counterargument is: he got lucky in the win/loss category and performed better than his true edge.

So why would you possibly have subscribed?
    edited May 2014
    CLV is only good if you know the responsible parties

I don't buy this. The entire market is a "responsible party."
    edited May 2014
    I don't buy this. The entire market is a "responsible party."

Yes, the entire market is a responsible party to a certain extent, but when manipulation takes hold in any market place that's when the numbers
    become sort of playground like Buffett stated earlier. Where ever there is money to be made theres thieves around.
    edited May 2014
    Yes, the entire market is a responsible party to a certain extent, but when manipulation takes hold in any market place that's when the numbers
    become sort of playground like Buffett stated earlier. Where ever there is money to be made theres thieves around.

There's definitely manipulation, but I believe the closing line is very sharp.
  • lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
    edited May 2014

I agree. Every book is dealing 10c lines.
    edited May 2014
    It probably is very sharp. I don't follow baseball much and don't have time to analyze it, that's why I subscribed to Buffett. My only pet peeve is JOSH BECKETT :)
  • Sportsguy1Sportsguy1 Junior Member
    edited May 2014
    durito wrote: »
    So why would you possibly have subscribed?

II'm trying to reach a reasoned conclusion about whether or not BG is a winning capper. There are decent arguments on both sides.

So in BG's favor:

1)He has won in MLB before although I have not looked at many years. We know he won last year and the prior year before that. And I think he won in 2006 or 2007. But what about 2008 thru 2013.
    2) The same posts that show an awareness of CLV and diligently recording his CLV shows he "gets it."
    3) Last year when he faded the market he did so at the market's peak and got CLV even off the fades.
    4) He got line movement even if not movement over the no-vig Pinny median.
    5) He seems well-respected by those who are seemingly sharp.

Why might he not be a winner?

1) Total records in all sports? Well I wonder how he did in other sports over the years. There's many cases of someone tackling 5 sports over a period of time and suddenly beating one and so then they are an "expert" in that final sport. Do you know how he did in other sports? Or even in MLB prior to last 2 years?
    2) He's choosing nearly all faves. There's always something fishy IMO when someone is 95+% faves. It's often relying on a "trick" rather than an accurate, well-tested model.
    3) He's fading moves and not getting good lines, it appears
    4) Now despite the posts on the pro-side where he's CLV disciple now he's saying he threw the textbook away.
    5) He speaks in mystery. If you read his posts from long ago they sounded normal, now everything is in this stock-markety lingo that's difficult to wade thru and sounds pretentious and schticky to me.

There is an element of sharpness here but being sharp/speaking sharp/being regarded as sharp and actually winning are two different things. Lots of arguments on both sides. Perhaps the strongest though is he just doesnt beat that no-vig Pinny, but he does get close to it.
    edited May 2014
    Are you a poker player too?
    edited May 2014
    II'm trying to reach a reasoned conclusion about whether or not BG is a winning capper. There are decent arguments on both sides.

So in BG's favor:

1)He has won in MLB before although I have not looked at many years. We know he won last year and the prior year before that. And I think he won in 2006 or 2007. But what about 2008 thru 2013.
    2) The same posts that show an awareness of CLV and diligently recording his CLV shows he "gets it."
    3) Last year when he faded the market he did so at the market's peak and got CLV even off the fades.

1) Total records in all sports? Well I wonder how he did in other sports over the years. There's many cases of someone tackling 5 sports over a period of time and suddenly beating one and so then they are an "expert" in that final sport. Do you know how he did in other sports? Or even in MLB prior to last 2 years?
    2) He's choosing nearly all faves. There's always something fishy IMO when someone is 95+% faves. It's often relying on a "trick" rather than an accurate, well-tested model.
    4) Now despite the posts on the pro-side where he's CLV disciple now he's saying he threw the textbook away.
    5) He speaks in mystery. If you read his posts from long ago they sounded normal, now everything is in this stock-markety lingo that's difficult to wade thru and sounds pretentious and schticky to me.

There is an element of sharpness here but being sharp/speaking sharp/being regarded as sharp and actually winning are two different things. Lots of arguments on both sides. Perhaps the strongest though is he just doesnt beat that no-vig Pinny, but he does get close to it.

Even though u came to no conclusion, very good post.
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    only if contra was here. he'd defend BG to the death :)... considering he seemed to have some influence it appeared for getting BG to BT. Anyhow, thought I would break the monotony up for a sec.
    edited May 2014
    Contrarian didn't have anything to do with that.
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    was really just trying to break up the convo... I know contra didn't have that influence but I do think he would defend the likes of BG like I mentioned.
    edited May 2014
    newcombe wrote: »
    was really just trying to break up the convo... I know contra didn't have that influence but I do think he would defend the likes of BG like I mentioned.

Why break it up? Great conversation.
    edited May 2014

He mentions early last year that he isn't as concerned with market confirmation as in past years :

http://www.bettingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php/173248-Buffettgambler-Discussion-Thread?p=799722&viewfull=1#post799722

There is plenty of discussion of this throughout that thread and in Dr. H's thread from last year. Given the huge change in the US sports markets between 2012 and 2013 season you'd probably pretty safe to assume that the market is less efficient.
    edited May 2014
    durito wrote: »
    He mentions early last year that he isn't as concerned with market confirmation as in past years :

http://www.bettingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php/173248-Buffettgambler-Discussion-Thread?p=799722&viewfull=1#post799722

There is plenty of discussion of this throughout that thread and in Dr. H's thread from last year. Given the huge change in the US sports markets between 2012 and 2013 season you'd probably pretty safe to assume that the market is less efficient.

I disagree that the removal of a few big players from the market trumps the tougher market conditions (better openers and a better understanding of advanced stats). Plus the big players that were removed were movers, the handicappers are still there.
  • buffettgamblerbuffettgambler Senior Handicapper
    edited May 2014
    Then a vague reference to the board being a ground for manipulating. And I've asked BG to clarify this twice now what he has meant by that and am eagerly anticipating some kind of response.

As stated yesterday, that has not been the case. I believe my comments about the screen have been interpreted as if I view it as some kind of joke. Its not. Just not something I would take marching orders from. There's better confirmation out there, that of which can make whats currently been seen look quite different.
    edited May 2014
    There's better confirmation out there, that of which can make whats currently been seen look quite different.

Any chance that you could provide an example of this?
  • buffettgamblerbuffettgambler Senior Handicapper
    edited May 2014
    You think the screen is not efficient, can you discuss that further?
    I think more importantly, the screen has been unappealing for an equity standpoint. Better openers, less volatility, and low hanging fruit picked off overnight.
  • JafarJafar Banned
    edited May 2014

I was gonna comment on this earlier. He sounds ridiculous and purposefully trying to talk over your head. The guys with "proprietary algorithms" and the like are just trying to create a perception about them where if you have no idea what the secret sauce is it must be good.

I don't follow BG. But just reading his posts would be enough to keep me away.
  • baseRunnerbaseRunner Senior Member
    edited May 2014

So in BG's favor:

The playing all favorites/ all dogs/ all road/ all X isn't necessarily a cause for alarm. Over 90% of my totals plays this year have been unders, and ive probably played close to 200 so far. I've gotten soundly crushed though. So maybe my opinion not worth much.
    edited May 2014
    Jafar wrote: »
    I was gonna comment on this earlier. He sounds ridiculous and purposefully trying to talk over your head. The guys with "proprietary algorithms" and the like are just trying to create a perception about them where if you have no idea what the secret sauce is it must be good.

I don't follow BG. But just reading his posts would be enough to keep me away.

He is far and away the nicest advantage player to post on any of these forums. For years he's answered endless questions (many from idiots I wouldnt piss on if they were on fire) without ever a single disparaging remark.