Betting Talk

Do any of you follow Alan Boston on Twitter?

RonyBallgameRonyBallgame Senior Member
edited January 2018 in Sports Betting
Been on a remarkable run in college hoops sides for the last few weeks. Giving plays away for free and providing reasoning for plays in many cases. I've read a little on him and seems to be quite sharp. An interesting follow nonetheless.

Comments

• lilylily Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    See Alan at Foxwoods often..loves to talk hoops and music..smart opinionated guy..some including Alan will say he is past his prime but still a good follow..
  • kcburghkcburgh Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    I used to but his rants on pretty much everything became a bit too much..
  • marinomarino Member
    edited December 2017
    yesterday

Alan Boston hoops

Xavier....covered by 1/2 point
    Air Force...blown out by 29 getting 11
    Colorado State ....blown out by 22 getting 11

pretty scary
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited December 2017
    marino wrote: »
    yesterday

Alan Boston hoops

Xavier....covered by 1/2 point
    Air Force...blown out by 29 getting 11
    Colorado State ....blown out by 22 getting 11

pretty scary

How can the results of any 3 game sample be scary?
  • RonyBallgameRonyBallgame Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    He hit about 80% in the three weeks previous to last night and I'm guessing you won the same on the 1/2 point cover as you lost on the blowout losses, so 1-2 is still 1-2.
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    He hit about 80% in the three weeks previous to last night and I'm guessing you won the same on the 1/2 point cover as you lost on the blowout losses, so 1-2 is still 1-2.

Do you think he'll continue to hit 80% in the next 3 weeks? Or the rest of the year?
  • RonyBallgameRonyBallgame Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    I don't think anyone in their right mind would expect 80% long term, was just pointing out that he is a pretty good follow and has done as well as anyone else for the first 8 weeks of the basketball season.
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    He's hit about 2/3s of his bets over the last month. He is giving out more plays and earlier this year which might be making a difference. He is only betting for himself this year so is freer with the picks.

In the past. he has given out picks after the lines had knocked around.

He has already given out more than half of what posted last year for the whole season and hit over 56%. His picks over the last 3 years have lost. Think he has been about break even or slightly better with his own bets over that time frame from what I have pieced together.

Lines have moved against him seemingly about half the time in this stretch.

Hope he has a good year. The guy deserves a good run.
  • Casper WareCasper Ware Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    Goats wrote: »
    How can the results of any 3 game sample be scary?

the dead sides are scary. he is well under 50 pct on cbb twitter last 3 yrs
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited December 2017

3 games = meaningless
    3 years = meaningful
  • marinomarino Member
    edited December 2017

like i said scary i never mentioned the word meaningful
    monmouth... dead side outright favorite loser on the road
    1-1 yesterday
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited December 2017

He has posted over 1000 picks on twitter the last four season and is slightly negative. His first year was apparently something like 60% although he did not have a winning year personally. Overall, he is slightly positive.

He is likely a breakeven bettor and I would expect coinflips going forward since he mostly posts the stuff that has either not moved or moved against him. His personal betting is multiples of his twitter picks.

He is still a little bit sharp and a game he really likes is probably going to win at a good rate.
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    Very nice summary of his Twitter picks today by the man himself:

"Unfortunately, nearly everything I liked moved. However, nearly is not all. That is sort of the good news. What some would consider the bad news is we are fighting people who bet enough to move a line, and therefore likely know what they are doing. Maybe so, but I have faith in what I am doing. Also, this is not Mr Walters we are trying to beat"

When you are following his picks or judging his performance, you must realize he is not giving you his best picks. He is mostly giving you his WORST. The best stuff is gone.
  • marinomarino Member
    edited December 2017
    just fyi

baylor...dead money side..was 6 point dog ended 8 point dog..lose by 24 with top two forwards out for that game
    texas... 2- point home dog ended 4 point dog.. lost by 6

0-2
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    marino wrote: »
    just fyi

baylor...dead money side..was 6 point dog ended 8 point dog..lose by 24 with top two forwards out for that game
    texas... 2- point home dog ended 4 point dog.. lost by 6

0-2

"In case I am too disgusted when I wake up, here is what I like.... and a few others that r probably not worth a f--- either."
  • jimmymojimmymo Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    Yes, read all posts.....no, do not follow picks blindly.....
  • jimmymojimmymo Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    Yes, read all posts.....no, do not follow picks blindly.....he is great
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited January 2018
    AB's pace continues with a recent hot streak and is back to 56% with another 100 picks since this thread started.

He is now holding out on Twitter picks though due to a tout selling his picks and a group betting a "blue million" and making more than he "would ever need."

As I noted previously, his picks have been moving against him a strangely high number of the time and his picks have been easily obtainable all season. He says the group has been betting against his picks and then coming back in with heavy money. This past Saturday almost all his picks went against and he says a mint was made.

This would not be surprising except for the fact that his picks do not close at better numbers so far as I have noticed and it would seem the picks would light up the board if such heavy action was coming in. He says he has received confirmation from someone in the industry that it has happened.

There is a good number of professional bettors here. Is it plausible that a group could bet that kind of money and the line not close at better numbers or not produce notable line moves that light up the board. I know he has written about betting and "not moving the screen" in the past which he was upset about with RAS blasting lines he wanted before he could get them.

I assumed that meant he was betting with locals and not moving the numbers. Is it possible this group could make that kind of money and not move the lines substantially?
  • crashcrash Member
    edited January 2018
    jimmymo wrote: »
    Yes, read all posts.....no, do not follow picks blindly.....he is great

In years' past, he was one of the few guys who I would occasionally tail. However, once he started giving his reasoning this year, it gave me pause. He would talk about ancient history about the program and other reasoning that didn't seem solid. Lately, he has been burned badly by not knowing about key player injuries (until after the game started). I'm not faulting him - just recognizing that that is why RAS and others probably don't like to give their reasoning - it only leads to second-guessing by the player.
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited January 2018
    crash wrote: »
    In years' past, he was one of the few guys who I would occasionally tail. However, once he started giving his reasoning this year, it gave me pause. He would talk about ancient history about the program and other reasoning that didn't seem solid. Lately, he has been burned badly by not knowing about key player injuries (until after the game started). I'm not faulting him - just recognizing that that is why RAS and others probably don't like to give their reasoning - it only leads to second-guessing by the player.

That's another reason I found it strange that a major group would bet his games when his Twitter picks have not won and he has even mocked himself for betting games with key injuries. I am not sure he would even be betting games this year if not for his loyalty to his Twitter followers. He literally just opened up Blue Ribbon and started firing on Day 1.

He got into it though and has been deep into it for a while but does not do as much work as in the past.
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited January 2018
    To give the old man his due, his performance this year has done a lot to shore up his Twitter record. Don't know what his 2014 record was but he claimed 60%. He probably provided around 300 picks so his record could be over 53% at this point with 1300 picks but probably at least break even at a minimum. With BIG bets, he would definitely be positive if a follower had put more down.
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited January 2018
    Gave AB a bit too much credit in last post. Forgot I had included this years numbers previously and did numbers off the top of my head. Looking up the numbers, the record would max out at 52% but is probably something like 51.5-51.7% so less than profitable with about 1400 picks in 4 plus seasons.
  • MikeRASMikeRAS Senior Handicapper
    edited January 2018
    Alan fully engaged can probably still win. That being said, at this point you are getting his lemons because hes not willing to post any of his plays early. So you are getting the bets that get whacked back by sharp groups and line is still available. Or a worse line than he got.

Alan had the world by the balls at one point and was probably the premier college basketball handicapper out there. He was betting boatloads and winning at a high rate. This of course was a time before the don best screen existed, you tracked scores watching a pager, news wasn't readily available on your computer and computer modeling or even ratings as simple as kenpom were not available. At this point you are witnessing a dinosaur attempt to win at an infinitely tougher game than the one he dominated.

When he's reading articles and following closely and betting overnights, I think he can win. But the fact he was releasing overnights on twitter and is in the current position he is in should let you know his current bankroll position. Again, I like reading his twitter feed just because its like you dropped a dinosaur into present times. You under no circumstances can bet his picks he gives at post tweets and expect to win.
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited January 2018
    MikeRAS wrote: »
    Alan fully engaged can probably still win. That being said, at this point you are getting his lemons because hes not willing to post any of his plays early. So you are getting the bets that get whacked back by sharp groups and line is still available. Or a worse line than he got.

Alan had the world by the balls at one point and was probably the premier college basketball handicapper out there. He was betting boatloads and winning at a high rate. This of course was a time before the don best screen existed, you tracked scores watching a pager, news wasn't readily available on your computer and computer modeling or even ratings as simple as kenpom were not available. At this point you are witnessing a dinosaur attempt to win at an infinitely tougher game than the one he dominated.

When he's reading articles and following closely and betting overnights, I think he can win. But the fact he was releasing overnights on twitter and is in the current position he is in should let you know his current bankroll position. Again, I like reading his twitter feed just because its like you dropped a dinosaur into present times. You under no circumstances can bet his picks he gives at post tweets and expect to win.

I like to follow him because it is a window into the mind of a true contrarian. He is basically the betting version of Benjamim Graham. He did not learn it. It is completely natural. If he had bet in the 80s, there is no telling how much money he would have made.