Betting Talk

who was your favorite player to watch growing up

jets96jets96 Senior Member
edited August 2015 in Sports Betting
I seen the tail end of mantle , i was at the last game at yankee stadium ( a day game vs det ) before they went to shea , seen a lot happen to the yankees over the years but one of my worst memories was on this date 36 years ago Thurman Munson lost his life , i loved that guy growing up , i remember being on my ship the uss joseph hewes ff1078 ,and being a radioman i got the privilege to get all news first over the satellite, once i seen that i just couldnt believe my eyes , i was so upset , i think i still get upset thinking about that day and how he died.

thurm , i never forgot ya

Comments

• BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Being a Milwaukee Braves fan growing up I loved Hank Aaron, and still did when the Braves moved to Atlanta, but I'll have to say , my favorite to watch was probably Willie Mays. In the Al it was clearly Mickey Mantle
  • munson15munson15 Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    jets96 wrote: »
    I seen the tail end of mantle , i was at the last game at yankee stadium ( a day game vs det ) before they went to shea , seen a lot happen to the yankees over the years but one of my worst memories was on this date 36 years ago Thurman Munson lost his life , i loved that guy growing up , i remember being on my ship the uss joseph hewes ff1078 ,and being a radioman i got the privilege to get all news first over the satellite, once i seen that i just couldnt believe my eyes , i was so upset , i think i still get upset thinking about that day and how he died.

thurm , i never forgot ya

He was my hero in the 70s...Snake Stabler in football and Munson in baseball...died the day before my 21st birthday, in a way my childhood ended that day...
  • jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    munson , we are the same age i was born dec 57 ,
    edited August 2015
    munson , we are the same age i was born dec 57 ,
    aug 3 1958...:shakehands:
    edited August 2015
    you from new york
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    There was only one for me and that was the Mick had forearms like my legs awesome player and no telling how good he really could have been if he doesn't step in that drain hole and mess up his knee.
    edited August 2015
    only got to see him late , i think it was around 65 or 66 , i did go to an autograph show at the trop in A.C , and i got three 16 x 20 pictures , Ali , joe willie and the Mick , it was unreal.

My son 's nickname is MICK
  • warrior2790warrior2790 Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    It's almost over and I don't know if you guys have the yes network but they are playing a nice little thing on Thurman right
  • bluejakebluejake Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Spent paper boy money to buy a bleacher seat at Forbes Field without a doubt Ariba, Ariba Roberto Clemente, and loved listening to the gunner Bob Prince, now I have Cutch and Marte.
    edited August 2015
    you from new york
    no, I worked there in the 80s but am from PA
    edited August 2015
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    There was only one for me and that was the Mick had forearms like my legs awesome player and no telling how good he really could have been if he doesn't step in that drain hole and mess up his knee.
    my dad's last hero and my first:toast:
    edited August 2015
    It's almost over and I don't know if you guys have the yes network but they are playing a nice little thing on Thurman right

missed it, was it the Yankeeography?
  • blackbullblackbull Senior Member
    edited August 2015

Makes me thing of Joe Namath too and how good he could have been if not for injuring his knee. Bear Bryant said he was the greatest athlete he every coached before the knee injury...scary...

"While a senior at Alabama, Joe Namath suffered what we now believe to be a torn ACL. Just like with Mickey Mantle, the proper surgery to repair such an injury just wasn't available. Despite the lack of a functioning ACL, he went on to have a wildly successful NFL career and became one of the most recognizable figures in football history. The injury caused his knees to swell up with fluid so often he sometimes needed to have it drained at halftime in order to finish games. Wrapping a torn ACL in a knee brace and hoping for the best rarely ends with a Hall of Fame career, but that's exactly how things played out for Broadway Joe." - http://www.complex.com/sports/2014/10/athletes-without-acls/joe-namath
    edited August 2015
    Joe Willie he was something. had season tickets in those days $10 a ticket. couldn't get Giants season tickets they had like a 20 year waiting list and then you had to be on someone's will.. But loved Joe Joe Willie to Eddie Bell for those 80 yard TD bombs.
  • originalokieoriginalokie Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    First
    I will never grow up
    My all time favorite
    Watched/with him many times; beginning to end/current
    George Brett - Awesome
    edited August 2015
    Joe Willie he was something. had season tickets in those days $10 a ticket. couldn't get Giants season tickets they had like a 20 year waiting list and then you had to be on someone's will.. But loved Joe Joe Willie to Eddie Bell for those 80 yard TD bombs.

I'm new at this see if it works.

<iframe width="360" height="203" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/riMTb36G84A"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They usually don't block stuff there's nothing bad. Unless it's the web site. Do it this way it doesn't take you off BT
    edited August 2015

Lets try this one

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dSL6s2Q91to"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • Wire2WireWire2Wire Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    DUKE SNIDER
    w2w
  • bumpobumpo Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    bluejake wrote: »
    Spent paper boy money to buy a bleacher seat at Forbes Field without a doubt Ariba, Ariba Roberto Clemente, and loved listening to the gunner Bob Prince, now I have Cutch and Marte.

Bug on a rug. The Green Weenie. Classic.
    For me it's now Cutch. Love everything about him.
    Growing up in Miltown I was a Braves fan. The right of passage for me was my dad taking me to see the Giants at County Stadium. From that day my favorite growing up was Willie.
  • BigPermBigPerm Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    For me it was

Barry Bonds
    Mario Lemieux

Being 40 and from Pittsburg, I got 2 watch 2 of the very best in their respective sports.
  • kramerkramer Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    being in my late 50's it was willie mays.
  • 6pounder6pounder Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Dan Marino
    Barry Sanders
    Bo Jackson
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    He parlayed a no-hitter into a Hollywood playboy. It wasn't the broads that did him in..............drugs and booze. R.I.P. Bo Belinsky.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/27/sports/bo-belinsky-64-the-playboy-pitcher-dies.html
    edited August 2015
    my father in law who is 88 still has giants tickets , used to have a big P on them for polo grounds , am a jets fan ( no shit ) and my season tickets at shea were upper res sec 12 row r , tickets were 10.19 plus 0.81 cents tax , 11 bucks
    edited August 2015
    talking about cheap tickets saw Joe Nameth payed $4 to sit in the zone at War Memorial stadium,Buffalo
  • 6pounder6pounder Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Kramer do u live in western ny?
  • Joey KnishJoey Knish Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    bluejake wrote: »

My mom was from McKeesport and moved to NW Ohio after getting married. I grew up listening to Bob Prince on KDKA especially in the mid-70's (the wonders of AM radio on a clear night). Mom's been converted to an Indians fan after all those years but still shed a tear when Ralph Kiner passed last year.
    edited August 2015
    cheektowaga
    edited August 2015
    yes cheektowaga,ny which is a suburb of buffalo
    edited August 2015
    ot , do you miss phil rizzuto as mush as i do, we used to go camping with my family up by lake saratoga and i couldnt believe that i could get the yankees games on my little red transistor radio , and had that one little white ear plug to listen when others didnt