Betting Talk

who was your favorite player to watch growing up

2»

Comments

• jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    and on a side note , cant wait to see the kid pitch tonight, but laying 190 that insane
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Larry Bird
    Dan Marino
    Tom Seaver
    Mike Bossy
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    jets96 wrote: »
    ot , do you miss phil rizzuto as mush as i do, we used to go camping with my family up by lake saratoga and i couldnt believe that i could get the yankees games on my little red transistor radio , and had that one little white ear plug to listen when others didnt

Kaydeross Park or Browns Beach? They hadda an AM station 900 that would bring the race of the day and also Yankee baseball.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    jets96 wrote: »
    ot , do you miss phil rizzuto as mush as i do, we used to go camping with my family up by lake saratoga and i couldnt believe that i could get the yankees games on my little red transistor radio , and had that one little white ear plug to listen when others didnt

Yea Mel Allen more but Phil also who use to leave after the 7th inning every game sometimes earlier.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    kane wrote: »
    Larry Bird
    Dan Marino
    Tom Seaver
    Mike Bossy

Tom Seaver Man did I love to watch him pitch. When the Mets were in town and Seaver was starting I was there. Always had to lay 8/5 or 2/1 with Seaver and I always laid it didn't care.
    edited August 2015
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    Yea Mel Allen more but Phil also who use to leave after the 7th inning every game sometimes earlier.

Canoli's and Tiramisu would fill the air between pitches. Agree Mel was more professional. I remember coming home from school with a bunch of bb cards I won flipping. The old man asked me if I had anyone good. Nah, told him the kids were using the bums. I showed him one card to illustrate. "See, I never heard of this guy. Who is Phil Rizzutio?" The old man lol'ed.
  • ebemissebemiss Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Ronbets wrote: »
    Canoli's and Tiramisu would fill the air between pitches.

Don't forget Vera. (his wife) He was always talking about her and the traffic on the bridge. Plus he mentioned everyone's birthday. The game usually got in the way...
    edited August 2015
    ebemiss wrote: »
    Don't forget Vera. (his wife) He was always talking about her and the traffic on the bridge. Plus he mentioned everyone's birthday. The game usually got in the way...

You mean Cora. Yeah Ed, it was a social event for him. I could sense that he wasn't a fan of his old play-by-play partner Bill White or the chain-smoker Frank Messer. BTW, I thought Ned Martin was excellent your way.
  • ebemissebemiss Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Ronbets wrote: »
    You mean Cora. Yeah Ed, it was a social event for him. I could sense that he wasn't a fan of his old play-by-play partner Bill White or the chain-smoker Frank Messer. BTW, I thought Ned Martin was excellent your way.

Christ. How did I screw that up. You're right Cora. He mentioned every Italian restaurant in NYC that they went to. I think he did like Bobby Murcer when he was in the booth. White didn't have much of a personality. Ned Martin was good.
    edited August 2015
    Yes he liked Mercer as both a player and announcer. The NY media gave him a pass for a racially insensitive comment he made on tv with Bill White. Rizzutto mistakenly mentioned the wrong black player. Bill White corrected him. Phil replied, "they all look alike." White game him hell and they smoothed it over. I don't think he cudda survived that today
  • jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Ron, actually it was a place called river road campgrounds, i think it was in glens falls , my father help build the place with a friend of his, i think the place is still there , yankees , frontier land , yankees , palisades park , yankees , summer was something back then, kinda sad thinking about it....anyways