Betting Talk

Interest in a Betting Talk DFS NFL League?

ParkerMParkerM Moderator
edited September 2014 in Sports Betting
Hey guys, we've been looking into hosting a weekly private NFL league for Betting Talk members. There's a few options out there for us in terms of sites to join which have a pretty good setup.

We'd like to gauge how much interest there would be in being part of something like this. No commitment needed right now, but if you think you might be interested in playing in a weekly NFL contest with us (for the entire season), just leave a note in this thread to let us know.

Also, if you played in a weekly league last season, let us know where you played and the things you liked/disliked about it. Feel free to ask any questions, as well.

Comments

• drewbydrewby Fantasy Expert
    edited July 2014
    I'd be interested. Even if it's a group that shakes hands to play each week vs. an official season long weekly league. I would prefer to do it on DraftKings or Fanduel where I play vs. having to establish an account on another site just to play in a season long weekly league. Want to keep my research focused on the two sites.
  • JSpaunyJSpauny Junior Member
    edited July 2014
    I'd be down. DraftKings preferred as thats the only site I belong to now. I've been working on a model for NFL DFS over the last few weeks. First year doing DFS so learning as I go.
  • IndianaIndiana Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    JSpauny - What data are you using in your NFL model for player projections? Just curious if you are using a specific site's data/projections or are they all your own?
  • nuddernudder Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    yep, i'd be interested. Have an account at FD (not DK) but would be willing to sign up at DK if thats the consensus.
  • Fat PolamaluFat Polamalu Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    I'd probably play. I have no preference for a site. Im only on DraftDay at the moment. I haven't taken advantage of the bonus site yet.
  • buckeyesbuckeyes Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    I would be interested as well. DK would be preferred although FD would be fine as well.
    edited August 2014
    Indiana wrote: »
    JSpauny - What data are you using in your NFL model for player projections? Just curious if you are using a specific site's data/projections or are they all your own?

I am using a combination of data from several sites. Pro-football-reference, fftoday.com and ESPN. ESPN has decent "against" stats and their team D stats are good for fantasy purposes. Teamrankings also has some good stuff too.

Right now I am only using previous data to project but I'll probably rope in some site's fantasy projections as well. I want to incorporate DVOA or DYAR as well but I haven't yet found a good way to go about it as it is kind of an abstract concept. Those are found on football outsiders.

There are obvious flaws with only using past data (team change, big FA signings, draft class, new coach) but I haven't yet found the best way to go about it. I have a major hardon for ZIPS projections with incorporate 3-4 years of past data while adjusting for "luck" and aging trends amongst similar players. However, baseball is infinitely more quantifiable than football so the challenge is quite large.
    edited August 2014
    And for how I actually project, I don't mind sharing the basics. It's a spin on some of Bill James's theories including Pythagorean Expectation. One of the base equations I use (before factoring in all the variables) is Probability of Outcome = [(Player Stat)*(Opponent Stat)]/(League Avg).
  • ParkerMParkerM Moderator
    edited August 2014
    Just wanted to bump this up again. Looks like there will be enough interest to put this together. We'll have more details on how this will work by the end of this week.
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    Noob here, but I'm in.
  • depaulfan3depaulfan3 Junior Member
    edited August 2014
    If you guys do a Yahoo league I would be interested...
    edited August 2014
    depaulfan3 wrote: »
    If you guys do a Yahoo league I would be interested...

We'll be doing a Daily Fantasy league. If you're interested in a season long league on Yahoo, cpech56 was looking at getting one going over in this thread.
  • cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    ParkerM wrote: »
    We'll be doing a Daily Fantasy league. If you're interested in a season long league on Yahoo, cpech56 was looking at getting one going over in this thread.

Got absolutely zero interest in my thread about that idea so I am going to pass and let you know that I am interested in joining your group playing daily. Keep me posted- Thanks Parker
    edited September 2014
    Hoping to get NFL stuff posted today, later than what I wanted. My responsibilities for College Football has taken most of my time, and my recent health problems the past two weeks have not helped. I'll be going into the hospital at some point today, so really not sure of my schedule. Will do my best to get it opened for you guys.

We'll be having the weekly league on DraftKings (Sunday games only), so if anyone needs an account there go ahead and signup. Don't forget to take advantage of the BiggerBonus offer to get an immediate $50 added to your new account.