• duritodurito Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    :mad: ..
  • cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    Usa! Usa!
  • adrianmeinhadrianmeinh Member
    edited June 2014
    lots of excited mexicans here today, what a performance by the goalie!
  • Hank WhiteHank White Junior Member
    edited June 2014
    Anyone else liking Spain today -1?
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    Obi One wrote: »
    I will definitely not bet against Spain in the upcoming matches. Too good of a team, too good of a coach. In the 14 games prior to yesterday's meeting they only allowed 8 goals. 3 of which were by Brazil in the ConFed Cup Final.

Goodnight Spaniards...
  • metagear89metagear89 Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    Spain is done. Like I said, they've been exposed for the fraud that they are
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    metagear89 wrote: »
    Spain is done. Like I said, they've been exposed for the fraud that they are

It's not like they lost to Costa Rica, Honduras or Cameroon. Dutch and Chile are both top 10 teams right now. Calling them frauds is a bit too much don't you think?
    edited June 2014
    They've been getting away with the triangle passing tiki-taka football for far too long. It's a boring style of play. When teams don't give them room to do these BS passes they are a very average team. I got tired of people saying they were the best team ever since they won 2 Euros and a world cup. Their world cup win was by luck
    It's not like they lost to Costa Rica, Honduras or Cameroon. Dutch and Chile are both top 10 teams right now. Calling them frauds is a bit too much don't you think?
    edited June 2014
    BTW you're talking about the same players who play on teams who have had very long seasons since 2007/2008 already. With their teams getting to the Champions League final/semi-final almost every year, contending for their league title and cup title almost every year and have won the previous 3 big tournaments. Give them a break after almost 7 years of excellence, will ya?

You can say they reached the end of a beautiful journey, you can say it's time for new players, maybe a new system, but calling them frauds says more about you than about them.
  • pokerjoepokerjoe Member
    edited June 2014
    They've been getting away with the triangle passing tiki-taka football for far too long. It's a boring style of play. When teams don't give them room to do these BS passes they are a very average team. I got tired of people saying they were the best team ever since they won 2 Euros and a world cup. Their world cup win was by luck

You're just trolling, right? Let me change that: you're just trolling.
    edited June 2014
    They've been getting away with the triangle passing tiki-taka football for far too long. It's a boring style of play.
    Do you know what the result is from that triangle passing? The other team doesn't get to touch the ball. Do you know what happens when they don't touch the ball? they can't score. What happens when you don't score? You don't win!
    When teams don't give them room to do these BS passes they are a very average team.
    For 7 years, team have not managed to stop them. Now that they might be fatigued and have an attacker which doesn't really fit into the team you call em frauds?
    I got tired of people saying they were the best team ever since they won 2 Euros and a world cup. Their world cup win was by luck

They beat Portugal, Germany and the Netherlands who had disposed of Brazil and Argentina. What part was luck?
    edited June 2014
    First they only dominated for 4 years not 7. 2008-2012

Stop being an apologist. By your logic they should win it this year without a problem. They have virtually the same players and have played in the same domestic club campaign.

They were wining by 1-0 score lines. Scoring a goal and just passing the ball around in triangles the whole game does not make for beautiful football. Teams were giving them too much respect and allowing them time and space on the ball
    Do you know what the result is from that triangle passing? The other team doesn't get to touch the ball. Do you know what happens when they don't touch the ball? they can't score. What happens when you don't score? You don't win!

For 7 years, team have not managed to stop them. Now that they might be fatigued and have an attacker which doesn't really fit into the team you call em frauds?

They beat Portugal, Germany and the Netherlands who had disposed of Brazil and Argentina. What part was luck?
    edited June 2014
    First they only dominated for 4 years not 7. 2008-2012

Stop being an apologist. By your logic they should win it this year without a problem. They have virtually the same players and have played in the same domestic club campaign.

They were wining by 1-0 score lines. Scoring a goal and just passing the ball around in triangles the whole game does not make for beautiful football. Teams were giving them too much respect and allowing them time and space on the ball

- When they won in 2008 they had not lost in their previous 17 matches. So their run started in 2007. Can you count? 2007 till 2014 is 7 years.
    - Where do I say that they should win??? Where??? Can you read? Read again! Where????? Tell me!
    - It sure does not make for beautiful football, but they dominated and won. Any team would love to dominate the way they have done over the last 7 years. Some teams can't even dominate for 15 minutes, the way they did for 7 years.
    - Nobody was giving them respect, they just couldn't touch the ball. They were looking like fools running after the ball, trying to intercept it. Everybody tried their hardest and they couldn't do it. Now you're saying they're exposed as frauds. Do you know how dumb that statement is?

It's something entirely different if you say that they are not passing as accurate this year, or this tourney. That Diego Costa for all the wonders that he did in La Liga for Athletico Madrid is a bad fit in the attack. That Cesc, for instance is a better fit. etc etc....but calling them frauds?? frauds?? really??
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    Pardon, if this has already been discussed.....why such high scoring this year? Please no variance nonsense. Rule changes? Refs?
    edited June 2014
    Just a couple guesses, but the ball in South Africa was a disaster, players couldn't control it. They like this one much better. People were also mentioning climate factors as likely leading to lower scoring, but the Brazilian leagues are very high scoring. Probably see it come down a bit after the group stage but who knows.
  • ebemissebemiss Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    Ronbets wrote: »
    Pardon, if this has already been discussed.....why such high scoring this year? Please no variance nonsense. Rule changes? Refs?

A couple things to read.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2014/06/18/what-do-the-world-cup-stats-tell-us-about-goal-scoring-in-brazil/

http://online.wsj.com/articles/goodbye-1403134500

I watch more soccer than any other sport and I've noticed from the eyeball test that a lot of these teams are pressing the opponent more and looking to counter quicker after a turnover. Higher risk/higher reward stuff. Pace seems fast. Not Loyola Marymount 1990 fast but faster and more wide open.
  • ebemissebemiss Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    Here's another interesting post I found on twitter this morning about teams pressuring Spain making them play first touch passes as opposed to letting them get more comfortable building their attack. Looks like teams made a choice to say "screw it" we're coming after you.

https://twitter.com/ProzoneSports/status/479573577327718402/photo/1
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    messi strikes again. argentines have no business winning this game but there goes messi again. he had no room for error on that shot. incredible.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Luis Suarez has pretty much hit the point where I wouldn't be surprised by anything that he does. What can FIFA give him at this point as a suspension to try and deter future actions by him? 15 games? Uruguay looked extremely average when he wasn't on the field, so Columbia has to be licking their chops at the opportunity to face them in the round of 16.
  • procapprocap Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    Ronbets wrote: »

The Chaperone had a pretty good post about this across the street in response to daringly.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Is the audio behind the video for anyone else with this Japan/Columbia game? I'm watching on Directv HD, and it's a good second behind (maybe a bit more). Extremely annoying.
    edited June 2014
    TommyL wrote: »
    Is the audio behind the video for anyone else with this Japan/Columbia game? I'm watching on Directv HD, and it's a good second behind (maybe a bit more). Extremely annoying.

Univision!
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited June 2014
    TommyL wrote: »

No issues with my local cable HD.
    edited June 2014
    Costa Rica pk -121 o2 +111
    Colombia -.25 -125 o2.25 -101

What were the odds of Costa Rica being favored at some point in this Tournament.
    edited June 2014
    How insanely good is this James Rodriguez from Columbia?
    edited June 2014
    cpech56 wrote: »
    How insanely good is this James Rodriguez from Columbia?

I was saying he's gonna be a star, but I think he's already there. Lot of transfer rumors out of Monaco for next season.

Game completely changed when he came in. This team would be really dangerous if Falcao was playing.
    edited June 2014
    durito wrote: »
    I was saying he's gonna be a star, but I think he's already there. Lot of transfer rumors out of Monaco for next season.

Game completely changed when he came in. This team would be really dangerous if Falcao was playing.

The kid is padding his pockets for a very long time with his 3 performances thus far. So fun to watch
    edited June 2014
    The draw ended up really poorly balanced imo. Holland, Mexico, Costa Rica, Greece, Switzerland, Argentina, and probably Belgium and USA/Ghana all on one side.

Other side: Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Uruguay, France, Nigeria, and likely Germany and Russia/Algeria
  • pokerjoepokerjoe Member
    edited June 2014
    durito wrote: »
    The draw ended up really poorly balanced imo. Holland, Mexico, Costa Rica, Greece, Switzerland, Argentina, and probably Belgium and USA/Ghana all on one side.

Other side: Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Uruguay, France, Nigeria, and likely Germany and Russia/Algeria

US might be better off with a draw than a win vs Germany.