Betting Talk

World Cup Discussion Thread

kass101kass101 Senior Member
edited July 2014 in Sports Betting
Figured I would start this so we dont clutter up the USA thread with discussion about other teams and such.

Any thoughts on Mexico vs Cameroon? I think Cameroon has a pretty good shot here, and obviously the huge one as the second game of the day.

Comments

• cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    Can someone please explain to me what the 1/4 betting lines mean? I typically see it in the 2h lines. I googled it and it brought up Asian betting stuff. If someone could please explain in novice terms I would appreciate it.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited June 2014
    cpech56 wrote: »
    Can someone please explain to me what the 1/4 betting lines mean? I typically see it in the 2h lines. I googled it and it brought up Asian betting stuff. If someone could please explain in novice terms I would appreciate it.

Say that a team is -3/4. It means that half of your bet is at -.5, and the other half at -1.

For example, say that you play Brazil -3/4 at -130 for 130 to win 100. It's like having 2 bets, one on Brazil -.5 for 65 to win 50 and another on Brazil -1 at 65 to win 50. If they lose or draw, you lose 130. If they win by 2 or more, you win 100. If they win by 1, you win 50 (you won the -.5 part of the bet and pushed on the -1 part). Make sense?
  • cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    Appreciate the explanation, Tommy. So I am looking at my brothers account currently and he has the following plays on the 2h of the Mexico game:

STRAIGHT BET
    Ticket# Date placed Detail Amount
    42348780 Jun 13
    10:04 AM [28206] 2H MEXICO -¼-123
    To Win 400

STRAIGHT BET
    42348745 Jun 13
    10:03 AM [28206] 2H MEXICO +120
    To Win 240

I am assuming the bottom play means Mexico just needs to win the match since they were tied at half. But the top play would be an example of what you explained above? Little confused because its -1/4 not -3/4....
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    cpech56 wrote: »
    Appreciate the explanation, Tommy. So I am looking at my brothers account currently and he has the following plays on the 2h of the Mexico game:

STRAIGHT BET
    42348780 Jun 13
    10:04 AM [28206] 2H MEXICO -¼-123
    To Win 400

STRAIGHT BET
    42348745 Jun 13
    10:03 AM [28206] 2H MEXICO +120
    To Win 240

I am assuming the bottom play means Mexico just needs to win the match since they were tied at half. But the top play would be an example of what you explained above? Little confused because its -1/4 not -3/4....

If the scores remains as is 1-0 MEX, he wins BOTH.
  • duritodurito Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    -1/4 is half at pk and half at -1/2 (keep in mind that with soccer handicaps a pk will push on a tie not lose like the money line).
  • kass101kass101 Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    Well there is another weak penalty along with a terribly weak yellow card.
    edited June 2014
    kass101 wrote: »
    Well there is another weak penalty along with a terribly weak yellow card.

Thought it was a PK in real time. After replays, Costa went down easy, but still lean Pk(and it's probably a coin flip).

And the yellow was all about the accumulation of fouls. That foul didn't deserve one on it's own, but you knew one was coming if they kept up.
    edited June 2014
    If the dutch finish this game with 11 guys, it'll be a bigger upset than the miracle on ice.
    edited June 2014
    TommyL wrote: »
    Thought it was a PK in real time. After replays, Costa went down easy, but still lean Pk(and it's probably a coin flip).

And the yellow was all about the accumulation of fouls. That foul didn't deserve one on it's own, but you knew one was coming if they kept up.

Agree on both counts, just felt that of all the fouls to card that was not the one. The dutch need to shut up that is for sure or they are going to lose this one and be down one of their starting 11 for the next.
  • metagear89metagear89 Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    I'm just glad Spain finally got exposed for the fraud that they are. They should have never won the world cup in 2010. If robben had converted his chances, Holland would have won. Glad he took out his revenge on them today
    edited June 2014
    Think we're going a little overboard to call Spain a "fraud" with everything that they have accomplished.

Regardless, I think it's time to put Iker out to pasture.
    edited June 2014
    They can't change horses midstream at this point. The blame lies with the defenders. Namely Pique and Ramos.

Anyway their style of play "tiki-taka" is outdated. Good teams have figured out how to pick them apart now.
    Think we're going a little overboard to call Spain a "fraud" with everything that they have accomplished.

Regardless, I think it's time to put Iker out to pasture.
  • underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    Hollanda +400 oh yeah
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    metagear89 wrote: »
    I'm just glad Spain finally got exposed for the fraud that they are. They should have never won the world cup in 2010. If robben had converted his chances, Holland would have won. Glad he took out his revenge on them today

Spain are definitely not frauds. For the first 40 minutes of the game, the Dutch got outclassed fair and square. Except for the Sneijder shot on Iker, it was one-way-traffic in the wrong direction for the Dutch. Why do you think they were fouling that much? They couldn't contain the Spaniards. Don't crown the Dutch the champions yet and reversely don't discard the Spaniards. Would be a grotesque overreaction to one half of soccer.

I can guarantee you that the general feeling in Holland after the Final in 2010 was: "Too bad we lost, but at least we made it to the Finals. Spain was simply better". They were welcomed home as heroes. We were happy and proud of the 2nd spot. Not a single person thought we should've been champions because we played better than them.

I will definitely not bet against Spain in the upcoming matches. Too good of a team, too good of a coach. In the 14 games prior to yesterday's meeting they only allowed 8 goals. 3 of which were by Brazil in the ConFed Cup Final.
    edited June 2014
    Obi One wrote: »
    They were welcomed home as heroes.

As I said...this is how they were welcomed home.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iDwfJxD6U80" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    edited June 2014
    Meh. I strongly believe that Germany will win it. The absence of Marco Reus to injury in the warm ups will be a blow though
    Spain are definitely not frauds. For the first 40 minutes of the game, the Dutch got outclassed fair and square. Except for the Sneijder shot on Iker, it was one-way-traffic in the wrong direction for the Dutch. Why do you think they were fouling that much? They couldn't contain the Spaniards. Don't crown the Dutch the champions yet and reversely don't discard the Spaniards. Would be a grotesque overreaction to one half of soccer.

I can guarantee you that the general feeling in Holland after the Final in 2010 was: "Too bad we lost, but at least we made it to the Finals. Spain was simply better". They were welcomed home as heroes. We were happy and proud of the 2nd spot. Not a single person thought we should've been champions because we played better than them.

I will definitely not bet against Spain in the upcoming matches. Too good of a team, too good of a coach. In the 14 games prior to yesterday's meeting they only allowed 8 goals. 3 of which were by Brazil in the ConFed Cup Final.
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    I will definitely not bet against Spain in the upcoming matches. .

Yeah, I think I'd be more likely to play ON Spain in the near future. I don't know the first thing about soccer, but if anything, just speaking on markets in general, I'd suspect there could easily be an overreaction to this game, resulting in Holland being overvalued and Spain being undervalued.
    edited June 2014
    Buffon is out for Italy, playing England as I think they are going to advance out of the group even before Buffon's injury.

Also is are the soccer lines all fucked up for anyone else at 5dimes?
    edited June 2014
    kass101 wrote: »

Also is are the soccer lines all fucked up for anyone else at 5dimes?

In what way? Look fine to me.
    edited June 2014
    In what way? Look fine to me.

It has been corrected now, but there were multiple identical lines with different prices when I posted that on all the later games.

Edit: This line is still messed up

241 Italy (World Cup) +½ -190
    242 England (World Cup) +½ +170

And of course that is what im looking to bet, England -.5.
    edited June 2014
    I show England +.5 at -234 if you're logged into an account. That's only showing on the "live lines", and I've seen issues with that screen before so I wouldn't trust it.
    edited June 2014
    Kudos to American referee Mark Geiger. First American to ref a World Cup game in 12 years, and I thought he clearly had the best performance of the tourney so far (not exactly saying much to this point, but he had a great game).
    edited June 2014
    Dr. H wrote: »
    Yeah, I think I'd be more likely to play ON Spain in the near future. I don't know the first thing about soccer, but if anything, just speaking on markets in general, I'd suspect there could easily be an overreaction to this game, resulting in Holland being overvalued and Spain being undervalued.

Based on where the next games for both of them opened, doesn't seem like there was too much of an adjustment. However, it'll be interesting to see where they head (especially the Spain game), since a lot of the pundits (and fans) seem to have a pretty big reaction to the result.
    edited June 2014
    Still can't make up my mind about Colombia. First of all, great fan support. It was like they were playing a home game. That stadium was packed and rocking. They won 3-0, but maybe Greece wasn't as good defensively as advertised? Maybe their 'clean sheets' were more due to weak competition in their qualifying group? I think the over has most value in Colombia's next game.

What do you guys think?
    edited June 2014
    Still can't make up my mind about Colombia. First of all, great fan support. It was like they were playing a home game. That stadium was packed and rocking. They won 3-0, but maybe Greece wasn't as good defensively as advertised? Maybe their 'clean sheets' were more due to weak competition in their qualifying group? I think the over has most value in Colombia's next game.

What do you guys think?

Once Columbia got the early goal, the entire game changed. That wasn't the same Greece team that I'm used to seeing, they actually had to come out and play today and we saw what happens when they do.
  • groovinmahoovingroovinmahoovin Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    Dr. H wrote: »

That's what I would typically think re: Spain, but the Spain/Chile game has been bet up from -.5 -127 to -.5 -144 on Pinnacle. Must be the "Spain is due!" angle. Netherlands have been bet up quite a bit, from -257 to -371, although hard to say how much of that is Netherlands rocks! vs Australia sucks!
  • duritodurito Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    Bye Uruguay.
    edited June 2014
    durito wrote: »
    Bye Uruguay.

I agree,
    Right now England is at +148, down from +195 for the thursday match vs Uruguay. Gotta figure that if they can't bring Suarez in for this situation, he isn't going to do much more than 20 minutes in 5 days.
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    this japan v IC game is damn good. IC is explosive. Japans goal was a quality hit.
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    that was a pretty awful viewing (Iran v Nigeria).