Betting Talk

StevieY, anyone else who has played the game

jets96jets96 Senior Member
edited December 2013 in Sports Betting
So my son just turned 15 in Oct, is a soph ,am getting crazy invites to all kinds of showcases, personally i think they are just to make money.
My son wants to play baseball where its warm and may seek out jr college somewhere in FLA .
Am getting a little crazy from all the pressure of listening to everyone about how you should start getting his name out and sending videos to coaches.
Last night my wife and son spoke to someone from NCSA and it all sounded great, they have data bases of every college and direct email to the coaches , you make a profile and coaches are suppose to check them out, at a cost of course.
Has anyone heard of NCSA or offer any advise ....thank you

Comments

• bigwaltonebigwaltone Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    I have it for my son If you talk to them you know it is not cheap but well worth it We have got tons on contacts from schools My son is a football player I will tell you that more of your smaller schools use that site There study guides for the act or good also Very pleSed with the money I spent on it
  • jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    thank you , so you spent the 2400 ? well to be honest the odds of getting a div one school is slim to none , but it cuts down on a lot of the work.

thanks again ,
  • zmanchitownzmanchitown Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    I believe NCSA is here located here in chitown.my parents had a similar service for me back in 92/93 when I lived in the boston area as I was undersized (by standards for centers ) to play d 1 hockey. I received more looks and recruitment by taking a pg year at a school called north wood in lake placid ny than the service 5x. All sports are different when it comes to recruiting but the service did nothing really for me (as an aside )
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited December 2013
    jets96 wrote: »
    So my son just turned 15 in Oct, is a soph ,am getting crazy invites to all kinds of showcases, personally i think they are just to make money.
    My son wants to play baseball where its warm and may seek out jr college somewhere in FLA .
    Am getting a little crazy from all the pressure of listening to everyone about how you should start getting his name out and sending videos to coaches.
    Last night my wife and son spoke to someone from NCSA and it all sounded great, they have data bases of every college and direct email to the coaches , you make a profile and coaches are suppose to check them out, at a cost of course.
    Has anyone heard of NCSA or offer any advise ....thank you

It was different back when I played. You didn't send out videos or have a service or website dedicated to it. Scouts would get some info on a player and go check them out. They would try to make a couple high school games to try to make a good determination, try to plan their trips to hit as many prospects as they can. When I played my big high school rival, it was packed. For the most part, high school games were seen by your regional colleges. Where you really got noticed was your summer travel team. You travel out of your region, other scouts saw you. By the time my travel season after my junior year was done, anyone I wanted to see me, saw me. That's how it was done back then. On some occasions, a pro scout in your area may give your name to a college not in your region and you get a look outside your region that way. Outside of that, there really wasn't much. I liked it that way, coaches got to see if you were an "anxiety" player or not.

If your son is looking someplace warm and you don't have way to play a tournament in the area, find a school there and send him to their baseball camp. Be careful though, some schools have an invitational camp and then a regular camp. If they have two separate ones and you don't get an invite, pick another place. The regular camp is usually filled with bad players and is pretty much a waste of time if you are serious. If they just have two dates, and the camps are called the same, that should be ok. You may learn a little at the camp but it is mostly to be seen. Local JC/div 2 coaches sometimes help out at these camps to get a free look at kids. Worst case is your son gets a vacation from you. :)
  • 60feetheat60feetheat Member
    edited December 2013
    Not to sound cold hearted but 15 years old let the kid proceed with little fanfare enjoy the game he is still a kid. Thousands of parents have dreams for their kids also the kid dreams let him work hard enjoy life and if he is good enough someone will find him. He or She will always have somewhere they can go as students they can go out for the team and make their future. This Is the cheap and well tested way, good enough he or she makes it, not good enough doesn't make it.
  • procapprocap Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    I'll echo what Stevie said. Have your son put together a list of schools he's interested in and then go to their baseball camps.
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    60feetheat wrote: »
    Not to sound cold hearted but 15 years old let the kid proceed with little fanfare enjoy the game he is still a kid. Thousands of parents have dreams for their kids also the kid dreams let him work hard enjoy life and if he is good enough someone will find him. He or She will always have somewhere they can go as students they can go out for the team and make their future. This Is the cheap and well tested way, good enough he or she makes it, not good enough doesn't make it.

This is horrible advice. It's like saying if you're good enough to have a job, companies will find you. It always helps to get out more exposure.
  • bigwaltonebigwaltone Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    yes I spent the 2,400 like I said I feel it was money well spent
    jets96 wrote: »
    thank you , so you spent the 2400 ? well to be honest the odds of getting a div one school is slim to none , but it cuts down on a lot of the work.

thanks again ,
  • jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for all the advise, am leaning towards doing the ncsa because it has such a database of every college at my fingers tips with emails of coaches for almost every school in america. I was told by my sons hitting and pitching basically what SY said and i totally agree.
    60feet ,i have broad shoulders i can handle it, thanks for your input...three years from now ill let everyone know where he is playing . He will be playing on a very good tournament team this summer at the 18 u level so we shall see how he does.

thanks again
  • golfer1000golfer1000 Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    I can tell you that for golf the ncsa approach is worthless. Coaches just delete the emails before they even open them. If you are looking at a non division 1 school then maybe it is better. But any big time school or any coach that knows how to recruit will not use a recruiting service. They are more for coaches that panic recruit ( late in the year and they have no one) than anything else. A personal letter that is short with a good r?sum? and a list of up coming tournaments or games is much more valuable and much more likely to get a coaches attention then the stupid recruiting services. Trust me:)