Betting Talk

Don't panic Mattingly!

2»

Comments

• cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited October 2013
    What do you consider silly managing decisions?
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited October 2013
    According to an ESPN insider(guesser), the Dodgers will retain Mattingly. They can always recant later.
  • BigKahunaBigKahuna Banned
    edited October 2013
    cpech56 wrote: »

I think others have discussed pinch running for Gonzalez early and then not running the pinch runner or at least hit and run. Not having the urgency in game 6 to have an early hook, not benching Ramirez cuz he is not helping, pitching Jansen in game 5 with a4 run lead in the 9th (don't let the other team have bats against your closer), not using a double switch properly or not at all, lots more but those come to mind immediately. Oh yeah 1 more, why not bench Uribe for a game and give Michael Young a start?
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited October 2013
    I am have no idea and never will how to manage a baseball team let alone a MLB team but I do love to hear how the general public could do a better job than the person in charge. I'm sure he may have made some decisions that in hindsight he would like back but its like he did absolutely everything wrong yet got his team that close to the world series. again, I know shit about the subject but the point is that people make it sound like the average Joe could've done a better job if in the same situation this year. go cards :)...
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited October 2013
    60feetheat wrote: »
    WHY ?? The older I get the more I don't understand bettors and fans. I am not a dodger fan and bet the Cards in this playoff but didn't the dodgers just complete a very successful season. They got beat by a team who many here think played in the best division in baseball also who Kershaw has a lifetime losing record against so fire the skipper I just don't get this logic.

Nobody said the NL central was the best division in baseball (my vote for that goes to the AL east), you said the NL west was better than the NL central which just isn't true.
  • cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited October 2013
    Lol. There is no doubt the NL central was the toughest division. The East had Boston and Tampa. Yanks were relevant like Cinci.
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited October 2013
    O's were pretty damn tough too cpech.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited October 2013

Taking Gonzales out in the 7th inning for a pinch runner that did nothing in game one had me shaking my head. Now the game goes 13 innings and you don't have your best hitter. That's just one of many. Not putting Capuano on the roster was another. His double switches are terrible. Now in the beginning I gave him the benefit of the doubt with double switches because of all the time he spend in the American league .

This kid Puig in right field keeps making the same mistakes and I've been a Boss (Or Was) a very long time and if an employee keeps making the same mistake over an over (it's because he doesn't care or he doesn't understand but as a manager you have to find out) it's on me in this case Mattingly. I swear if I was the Manager last night and after puig made his 3rd stupid play when he came back to the dugout with the score being what it was I would have told his translator he's being taken out he doesn't look well tonight. He would have gotten the message. Either nobody is speaking to him or he doesn't care and believes he can do what he wants. This all falls under management. If they sign Mattingly God Bless him I don't wish him anything bad .

Did you hear they said they didn't want him to play center field because he'll just cause chaos in the outfield so they rather stick him in a corner. This is a manager? meet your problems head on and correct them or sit him until he learns.
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited October 2013
    Lol. There is no doubt the NL central was the toughest division. The East had Boston and Tampa. Yanks were relevant like Cinci.

Look again. The AL East is a combined 55 games above .500. No AL East team had a losing record against any other AL division. NL Central has the Cubs. Nuff said there.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/standings/?alias=expanded&season=
  • 60feetheat60feetheat Member
    edited October 2013
    I will take next year the Dodgers over their win total and the Wash Nats over with both teams playing in the 2014 NLCS.
    edited October 2013
    That was one strange press conference yesterday. In my view Mattingly was admitting the upper brass was not sure if he could manage or not. He better have a plan B, cause I think that press conference helped him out the door.
    edited October 2013
    I will take next year the Dodgers over their win total and the Wash Nats over with both teams playing in the 2014 NLCS.

That's kinda getting ahead of yourself isn't it? What #'s are you putting them on and who are they losing and who do you think they will look at in the free agent market?
    edited October 2013
    BigKahuna wrote: »
    That was one strange press conference yesterday. In my view Mattingly was admitting the upper brass was not sure if he could manage or not. He better have a plan B, cause I think that press conference helped him out the door.

Yeah it was. Colletti sitting beside him and DBB pissing on the management. It's up to Prez Kasten. In the old days, he wudda had an extention with no problem. Today the quant forces are rightfully casting their doubts. Look, on one of the biggest stages in baseball, down a run bottom of 8th with a leadoff double. He has Uribe attempting to sacrifice. We all know Uribe is no Phil Rizzuto. Regardless of the outcome, it was a blatant error in judgement. Uribe failed miserably on the bunt attempts and then hit the game winning HR.
    edited October 2013
    Lots of pressure being Top Dog in the dugout with a payroll like that. If he stay's he'll be somebody's bitch. I don't think he wants to stay I think he realizes he doesn't have the experience of managing a team like this. This isn't a knock he needs time and there's a team out there that will give it to him. It has to be very tough to manage people who make a lot more money then you and everyone knows the manager has to take the hit. I don't think he has the charisma for the big market press conference at this time. Ever watch a press conference with Joe G from the yanks or Jeter that's what you need. Mattingly looks lost.
    edited October 2013
    now they fired his assistant. this is going to get ugly.
    edited October 2013
    BigKahuna wrote: »
    now they fired his assistant. this is going to get ugly.

Remember this is Joe Torre's Boy and that holds a lot of weight. Someone had to take a hit.
    edited October 2013
    you might be right OT but from what I know about business. Owners do not like to be criticized in public by employees. Especially Billionaires !
    edited October 2013
    I didn't see it maybe Bleacher reports or you tube will have it. That's not good, before you open your mouth look at the name on the check that's the guy you say yes sir your right and we're going to get them next year...lol
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited October 2013
    I know this has nothing to do with Mattingly and outside of myself and Petey Pablo, nobody here probably gives a shit, but it looks like the Reds are going to give the managers job to Bryan Price. He was their pitching coach, and a good one at that. Personally, I like the hire, I know the pitchers love the guy and to me the most important aspect of being a good manager is communicating with your players, it's impossible to be a pitching coach without being a good communicator, so If Walt Jocketty thinks he's the guy, so do I. The WS hasn't even started yet, and already I can't wait for April to come.
  • 60feetheat60feetheat Member
    edited October 2013
    Dodgers have lost their marbles for not getting this done however the upside for me I am a Washington Nats fan and that rumor has started and I have zero problem with Mattingly's style we should take him.
    edited October 2013
    Dodgers have lost their marbles for not getting this done however the upside for me I am a Washington Nats fan and that rumor has started and I have zero problem with Mattingly's style we should take him.

With GM Rizzo's track record, he'd be interested in DBB. Davey Johnson looks in worse health than Leyland.
  • BeardedTacoBeardedTaco Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    :smoking:

The Dodgers and Clayton Kershaw have agreed on a seven year, $215 million contract, sources have told ESPN. Out after five
    edited January 2014
    :smoking:

The Dodgers and Clayton Kershaw have agreed on a seven year, $215 million contract, sources have told ESPN. Out after five

In today's Market he's worth it.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    30 mill a year, jesus fucking christ
    edited January 2014
    kane wrote: »
    30 mill a year, jesus fucking christ

Only every 5th day, the other days you have to eat sunflower seeds and spit. So not as easy as it seems. Also you get 4 months vacation.

For the love of god, why did my dad not teach me to throw left handed !
  • BayOceanBayOcean Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    NOBODY is worth 30 million a year to pitch baseball-maybe a MD who saves lives is but not a baseball player..
    edited January 2014
    BayOcean wrote: »
    NOBODY is worth 30 million a year to pitch baseball-maybe a MD who saves lives is but not a baseball player..

But that's the market. If the owners weren't making it they couldn't pay it. 13 Years ago I bought a house in Summerlin for 151k up grades 50k sold a few years later for 479k 1560 sq foot. was it worth it no but that was the market at that time. Of course no player in most any sport is worth the money they pay them but if they didn't some other deep pockets would have because that's market price.

Hey Bay remember when the ball players during the off-season had to work a real job.
  • chuckhchuckh Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Is A Rod worth 25 mil a year? God remember the day when ball players would of played for peanuts which they did? Remember the day also when teams were just trying to make payroll? My how times have changed!