Betting Talk

Colin Cowherd

CoopsCoops Senior Member
edited January 2013 in Sports Betting
I think he is that idiot talking head from ESPN.
He picks 5 games a week and this year he is currently 42-18.

Heard his picks today and figured I'd post, he's not a tout so don't think I'm violating any rules. If I am, mods, feel free to delete.

Cowboys +3
Titans +5.5
Panthers +3.5
Browns -6.5
Ravens +2.5

Comments

• thebattinathebattina Member
    edited December 2012
    He is that idiot, but I heard he was killing it this year on his picks...
  • dtrain11dtrain11 Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    Fwiw, I've always though Colin was more knowledgable than he gets credit for. I think it's his stchick that wears us all out. That being said,he having a great year. Iirc, I saw somewhere he has been 55 % plus the last few years.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    He also killed it last year. Funny I watch him most mornings and really don't mind him and his rants. shit like that doesn't bother me because I don't remember a word they say after I shut the TV. But it's funny I hear his picks every week and never give it second thought or write them down it goes in one ear and out the other. I should have just played his NFL picks this year how nice that would have been. He'll come down to earth don't know when maybe next year but it's true 2 years running it's pretty amazing.
  • buythehookbuythehook Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    I always hear or see his picks and never gave it a second thought... He is money this year! I do like his show and think he is very knowledgable.

Good luck if you follow him
  • BigKahunaBigKahuna Banned
    edited December 2012
    I cant wait for the "pros" to chime in on this.
    Here is what to expect:
    "that is not enough games to be considered valid"
    " lets see his record after 500 games"
    " there is no such thing as a hot streak"
    "my 2 yr old could out handicap him"

Did I steal the thunder pros ?
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited December 2012
    BigKahuna wrote: »
    I cant wait for the "pros" to chime in on this.
    Here is what to expect:
    "that is not enough games to be considered valid"
    " lets see his record after 500 games"
    " there is no such thing as a hot streak"
    "my 2 yr old could out handicap him"

Did I steal the thunder pros ?

It's very clear that you just don't get it. I'm far from a pro, but opening up my ears and listening to those that are much smarter/more experienced than myself has done wonders for me over the last decade.
  • jesfla72jesfla72 Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    Something to be said for a guy having success and still taking 4 of 5 underdogs.... He is a dweeb though either way
    way
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    This guy has been around Vegas a long time. He knows gaming but doubt his long term prognostication abilities. He once was the announcer for the Vegas AAA baseball team and was sports guy on local TV. Well liked guy while here. We all have atleast one good run in us.
  • dtrain11dtrain11 Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    jesfla72 wrote: »
    Something to be said for a guy having success and still taking 4 of 5 underdogs.... He is a dweeb though either way
    way

It's ATS,why does it matter?not that this has any relevance but he is something like 0-7 on 8+ pt favs.
  • tro19tro19 Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    I used to listen to his show a few years back. I think he has done pretty well with college football as well over the past few years. That being said, I do like Carolina this week and am one of the worst cappers here.
    edited December 2012
    TommyL wrote: »
    It's very clear that you just don't get it. I'm far from a pro, but opening up my ears and listening to those that are much smarter/more experienced than myself has done wonders for me over the last decade.

LOL - yeah its me that does not get it. Ha ha
    I hope I never get it, cuz I am doing just fine my way. But thanks for the input.
  • buythehookbuythehook Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but he has done great in his picks... Call it whatever u want! I see kahuna's point, ppl will analyze the hell out of it and say it it is all lucky or bullshit. Maybe he continues to be Hott or he shits the bed, either way... He is hitting over 70% so far in the nfl.
  • CoopsCoops Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    If Scott used his picks Sixth Sense would be a lot more popular around these parts... I kid, I kid
    edited December 2012
    LOL - yeah its me that does not get it. Ha ha
    I hope I never get it, cuz I am doing just fine my way. But thanks for the input.

Honest question then. Have you thought about how much better you could be doing if you were willing to open yourself up to information/feedback from those that are more successful and/or know more about certain aspects of handicapping/gambling than yourself?
    edited December 2012
    I dont know if he was acc urate about his comment or not, but he said he would be leading the Hilton contest, pretty amazing I think. Not to mention, this year to be profitable in the NFL, wow. I don't care if he is a 1 hit wonder or not, as long as I can ride that 1 yr., I don't care. Just the opinion of a recreational player. So basically it has little to no value. Lol
    edited December 2012
    Honest question then. Have you thought about how much better you could be doing if you were willing to open yourself up to information/feedback from those that are more successful and/or know more about certain aspects of handicapping/gambling than yourself?

Tommy with all the respect in the world to you. I have been doing this for 30 years, this hobby helped start my very succesful business. In 30 years, I have had 6 losing years, what am I going to learn ? Or what do I possibly need to learn ?
    I think what bothers me the most about so called "pros" is the condesending fashion they speak to hobbyist. Almost as if they invented sports gambling. It would be nice if they remembered hobbyist don't live by the same rules as "pros", we can play 5 teamers everyday if we want, it is OUR discretionary income we have used for enjoyment. That is my point in all this, you have a mix here of pros and hobbyist, some trying to have fun and some just for the wins. Just be respectful to both, but the "pros" don't they think they are smarter then us hobbyist and I would beg to differ. Hope you understand my point. BTW I am not suggesting anyone play 5 team parlays everyday. Lol
    edited December 2012

Tommy with all the respect in the world to you. I have been doing this for 30 years, this hobby helped start my very succesful business. In 30 years, I have had 6 losing years, what am I going to learn ? Or what do I possibly need to learn ?
    I think what bothers me the most about so called "pros" is the condesending fashion they speak to hobbyist. Almost as if they invented sports gambling. It would be nice if they remembered hobbyist don't live by the same rules as "pros", we can play 5 teamers everyday if we want, it is OUR discretionary income we have used for enjoyment. That is my point in all this, you have a mix here of pros and hobbyist, some trying to have fun and some just for the wins. Just be respectful to both, but the "pros" don't they think they are smarter then us hobbyist and I would beg to differ. Hope you understand my point. BTW I am not suggesting anyone play 5 team parlays everyday. Lol
  • TheRebTheReb Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    I remember those days when he was doing the sportscast here in Vegas on Ch. 3....this one is a classic not so much him but the ever nagging NCAA suspending Butler & Anthony 1 game for not paying an ATT phone bill lol, but the clips showing the game from that championship team give me goosebumps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_uz2ySfkIc
    edited December 2012
    In 30 years, I have had 6 losing years, what am I going to learn ? Or what do I possibly need to learn ?

I guess we just have different personalities then. I'm always looking to read/discuss/listen to anyone that can give me more info and help me get better. Regardless of how good I think I am at something, I always want to improve. Since it appears that you're pretty set in your ways and very comfortable with that, I'll just drop it (though I'll probably comment on it again if you bring it up again in the manner that you did, since being a "sponge" and listening to all of the "pros" around here, and elsewhere, has taught me an invaluable amount through the years; my hope is that it can also do the same for others).
    edited December 2012
    Tommy, I think it is just a difference in opinions. In my industry I am always approached with "young guns", that believe they have a better mouse trap, I politely listen and then usually blow the off with little to no interest. Why in the world would I change my methods that have provided an extremely comfortable life for me and my family ? You don't change the model when it has a proven positive track record, you only change it if it is broken or failing, not when it is successful. Just my opinion and I respect that it differs from yours.
  • jimmymojimmymo Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    cowherd is a polarizing figure....i'm in the camp that thinks he has some genius....and i have paid attention to his college and nfl plays over the past years....he is good and definitely takes the artistic approach to capping
    edited December 2012
    Tommy, I think it is just a difference in opinions. In my industry I am always approached with "young guns", that believe they have a better mouse trap, I politely listen and then usually blow the off with little to no interest. Why in the world would I change my methods that have provided an extremely comfortable life for me and my family ? You don't change the model when it has a proven positive track record, you only change it if it is broken or failing, not when it is successful. Just my opinion and I respect that it differs from yours.

I guess I lied, because I will say one more thing. My thinking on this stuff couldn't be further from yours. In my "real job", I'm always looking to evolve and do things better. I've had interns come in and make suggestions that I've used to make improvements. I think that sports handicapping is the same way, and I'm always looking for ways to get better (whether it be from a "picking games" standpoint or from the standpoint of things like money management, math, variance, understanding who to follow, etc.). There are some things in my life where I take an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type of approach, but those things are few and far between.
  • billymacbillymac Senior Member
    edited December 2012

I'd like to know the industry, cause in most industries, if you are doing things as you were 30 years ago, you are going to get overrun.
  • chyllhousechyllhouse Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    i love colin no homo lol
  • Dave MasonDave Mason Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    Thanks Coop. I don't care for his style but with that record, I would marry him.
    When does he give his picks?
  • HavanaHavana Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    Friday 11 AM Eastern Time. ESPN
  • dirty49dirty49 Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    I enjoy his insight.
    edited December 2012
    billymac wrote: »
    I'd like to know the industry, cause in most industries, if you are doing things as you were 30 years ago, you are going to get overrun.
    Really ? Here is a concept that has not changed in probably a million plus years and doubt it ever will, Buy Low, Sell High! Shhhh don't tell everyone, it is my little secret.
  • TheRebTheReb Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    Really ? Here is a concept that has not changed in probably a million plus years and doubt it ever will, Buy Low, Sell High! Shhhh don't tell everyone, it is my little secret.

or from the short side, Sell High and Buy back Low :)
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    so Kahuna, gambling profits initially launched you into a wallstreet player and 24 of the last 30 years you've managed to be a profitable hobbyist? truly impressive... love to hear a good success story.