Betting Talk

NBA Guru picks available on Dr Bob website

ContrarianContrarian Banned
edited June 2013 in Sports Betting
Per MikeRAS over at another forum (weird, huh?), nba"guru" will be working for "dr" bob this season. Ye olde "guru" has certainly found a willing partner in his whining over "bad beats". Match made in heaven.

Comments

• weedsweeds Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    Contrarian wrote: »
    Per MikeRAS over at another forum (weird, huh?), nba"guru" will be working for "dr" bob this season. Ye olde "guru" has certainly found a willing partner in his whining over "bad beats". Match made in heaven.

LMFAO! Dr Bob - "I went 7-6 on my college football best bets, but if it weren't for losing 2 fumbles in 5 of the 6 losses and if the coach called better plays and his team scored more I would have been 10-3 on the day!"
  • JB531JB531 Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    $795 after a losing season?
  • ContrarianContrarian Banned
    edited October 2012
    "Our team lost by 38 getting 13 but I cam going to put this in the tossup column as a game that could have gone either way due to losing two completely random fumbles as my historical database shows that fumbles are completely random and this are the type of games that I should win if not for the fumbles because fumbles are completely random and can't be predicted due to my database of historical fumbles. If I ever get to winning these type of games I will go back to having great seasons but fumbles keep going against us in these toss up type of games."

I would make a meme of Dr. Bob saying ZOMG FUMBLES but there's a strong possibility that only me, you, tribe and the gang over at rtp would know what I am talking about, so I guess I had better use my time in a more constructive fashion.

But surely one of the big questions in the interview process was how did the "guru" rationalize losses, as he clearly went to the "dr" school of whining (just re-read this thread)
  • lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    JB531 wrote: »
    $795 after a losing season?

Even more perplexing is that he'll probably get a pile of people paying it
    edited October 2012
    lumpy19 wrote: »
    Even more perplexing is that he'll probably get a pile of people paying it

No longer a believer?
    http://www.bettingtalk.com/threads/166880-NBA-Guru-Discussion-Comment-Question-Thread?p=733418&viewfull=1#post733418
    edited October 2012
    I really didn't intend on starting a new thread for this, wtf
  • RightAngleRightAngle Admin
    edited October 2012
    Thought this deserved its own thread.

Just to give my two cents, I thought NBA Guru showed a lot of potential, and certainly focusing on earlier market releases, totals, and weighting volume of plays and unit ratings heavier in first half of season than second half should serve him well. With that said, I do not know if he has shown enough yet to justify charging for picks, and we certainly do not condone the "datamining" style of marketing being used to sell his NBA package on Dr Bob's site. Other than that, we wish him success.
  • tribecalledjefftribecalledjeff Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    Hilarious. Didn't you post recently that he's up like 1 unit over 700 plays or something ridiculous like that?
    edited October 2012
    I would make a meme of Dr. Bob saying ZOMG FUMBLES but there's a strong possibility that only me, you, tribe and the gang over at rtp would know what I am talking about, so I guess I had better use my time in a more constructive fashion.

"ZOMG FUMBLES" - that's a great one.

Funny how you never see ole Bob making statements like, "I went 7-3 this weekend, but I caught a lot of breaks, such as multiple fumbles across all games. Therefore I should have really been 5-5."
    edited October 2012
    Hilarious. Didn't you post recently that he's up like 1 unit over 700 plays or something ridiculous like that?

Try > 1,300 plays!

http://www.bettingtalk.com/threads/169891-MLB-Wild-Card-Game?p=756363&viewfull=1#post756363
    edited October 2012
    Guru selling picks on Dr. Bob's site just reiterates how pissed off I get when people put Dr. Bob and RAS in the same category. If you can't see the glaring difference between the two, with the major being evolving from year to year, then you're just a sucker like the rest.
    edited October 2012
    Nope.

But you sounded so convinced, what with the variance lesson and all.
    edited October 2012
    But you sounded so convinced, what with the variance lesson and all.

If he posted for free I'd still follow
    edited October 2012
    Try > 1,300 plays!

If he won a unit on 1300 NBA plays at -110 juice, I would argue that is nothing to scoff at for a free poster in forum world. Very few posters even last a full season posting their plays, nonetheless two full seasons. I definitely give him a lot of credit for sticking it out, and whether you agree with it or not, it appears to have worked out for him.

Contrarian thought he was ready to go tout with less than 300 results, (and a sketchy omitted result history before that) and probably isn't the one who should be throwing rocks here.
    edited October 2012
    If he posted for free I'd still follow

You think he's +EV, are a pro and can't outrun $800? Surprising
    edited October 2012
    RightAngle wrote: »
    If he won a unit on 1300 NBA plays at -110 juice, I would argue that is nothing to scoff at for a free poster in forum world. Very few posters even last a full season posting their plays, nonetheless two full seasons. I definitely give him a lot of credit for sticking it out, and whether you agree with it or not, it appears to have worked out for him.

Contrarian thought he was ready to go tout with less than 300 results, and probably isn't the one who should be throwing rocks here.

Easy there big fella he had +0.11 CLV!!
    edited October 2012
    Easy there big fella he had +0.11 CLV!!

LOL. Thanks, needed a good laugh.
    edited October 2012
    You think he's +EV, are a pro and can't outrun $800? Surprising

What's a pro?
    edited October 2012
    RightAngle wrote: »

Contrarian thought he was ready to go tout with less than 300 results, (and a sketchy omitted result history before that) and probably isn't the one who should be throwing rocks here.

lol at you continuing to try and rationalize nbaguru's record with my tout "career"....we got MikeRAS boosting threads over at rtp and Ed promoting competitors by giving them their own threads and comparing my posting history to a tout at one of the 2 most influential touts in history. Slow day at RAS hq ten days before NCAA hoops start obv.
    edited October 2012
    Anyone know Guru's CLV over the last two years? Just wondering what people consider professional level CLV for the NBA
  • BeardedTacoBeardedTaco Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    MikeRAS wrote: »
    Curious why the wait until -9.5 on Indiana and if anything changed from the openers when -8.5 and 9 was available at least for a few hours (actually -9 available for 24 hours now that I look at bookmaker line history). Guessing you had a good idea you were playing Indiana based on the situation as soon as they lost as the playoffs seem to be fairly straight forward.

Doesn't sound like a big deal but talking monster % difference long term if getting extra half points or full points in a sport where the edge is razor thin.

In general betting/posting earlier should get you better results and in a market like NBA where every bit of edge is needed its even more important. This is more of a general comment and not just the Indiana game, its something I see a lot in your picks thread (which makes the positive results that much more impressive). Many would consider beating gameday near tip -110 unbeatable (especially sides). Dr Bob revolutionized sports betting with some of his methods but I would not be caught dead betting his stuff at -110 when he is spitting it out at 6pm. Pinnacle is taking 50k bets at 6pm on reduced juice in the playoffs and could care less. During the regular season it is often 30k at that time.

The overnight/early morning market in the NBA is massive and has to be easier to beat then later in day. Injuries/lineups, line moves that move a game into your number are one thing to be betting/posting in the evening but otherwise earlier has to be better.

I know Ed will shoot me for saying this (never leave BT!) but going earlier and showing an ability to consistently beat the close would make you more marketable.It would make your value more clearly visible to sharp betting groups if that is a route you want to go. It will also help your betting which is the most important thing.

4l5oxjpg.gif
    NBA Guru wrote: »
    So with this being the case we are going to focus only on totals and not play sides or team totals next year.
    I actually think that might work for you. If you are going to keep on posting gameday picks, sides are going to be difficult to beat. Focus on totals and you might develop a consistent edge with them.

If the gameday market turns out to be too strong, start looking into the openers and circled games market. Just look at the one significant overnight total bet you had last year on the LAC/MEM game. You crushed the closer and the final score.

Is it worrisome that MikeRAS and I have to tell you this kind of stuff given your experience? Yes somewhat. But everybody can evolve and can use help from others to get better.

So has NBA Guru learned his lesson? Are his plays at Dr.Bob's website going to consist of only totals? Mostly on circled games? Can't wait
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    weeds wrote: »
    "ZOMG FUMBLES" - that's a great one.

Funny how you never see ole Bob making statements like, "I went 7-3 this weekend, but I caught a lot of breaks, such as multiple fumbles across all games. Therefore I should have really been 5-5."

do you ever here any cappers say this though? I am just saying... I respect tribe and his plays yet I heard of alot of bitching about the bad beats in the end too. again, just saying and tribe nothing against you my friend.
    edited October 2012
    weeds wrote: »
    Anyone know Guru's CLV over the last two years? Just wondering what people consider professional level CLV for the NBA

Surprisingly enough he never mentioned in his three months after the season housecleaning.

http://www.bettingtalk.com/threads/166880-NBA-Guru-Discussion-Comment-Question-Thread?p=748079&viewfull=1#post748079
    edited October 2012
    What's a pro?

Ever answer a question with a question?
    edited October 2012
    Kind of ironic that MikeRAS post there, taco.....juxtaposed with MikeRAS "breaking the news" about da "guru" at a competing forum instead of here it is truly too comical.
    edited October 2012
    newcombe wrote: »
    do you ever here any cappers say this though? I am just saying... I respect tribe and his plays yet I heard of alot of bitching about the bad beats in the end too. again, just saying and tribe nothing against you my friend.

I made what, maybe 2 posts about bad beats in my 700 or so posted plays here? Dr. Bob does it every week. Hardly the same thing.
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    I made what, maybe 2 posts about bad beats in my 700 or so posted plays here? Dr. Bob does it every week. Hardly the same thing.

again it wasn't anything against you tribe, I was just stating that no cappers make a point to talk about their good fortunes very often, if ever. I am still hoping you will pony back up and keep making cfl plays.
    edited October 2012
    again it wasn't anything against you tribe, I was just stating that no cappers make a point to talk about their good fortunes very often, if ever. I am still hoping you will pony back up and keep making cfl plays.

Fair enough. I agree with your general point, which is why I try hard not to whine about bad beats. Nobody notices/points out/remembers the good fortune, like you said. Just had a bad few weeks and had to vent.

Bowls, maybe. I'm working my ass off on college hoops right now.
    edited October 2012

You're right with your point...but my comeback to that is not every capper whines and complains about bad beats. It goes both ways. I'm saying if you are a capper that whines and complains, then you should also state when you got lucky.