Betting Talk

OKC 2H -5.5 (-104) Pinny

Comments

• newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    So when lebron loses this series and another year goes by with his dream team not winning a championship then why would you want him over KD? KD has a true knack for the game and the moments that require him to flat out take over and win games for his team. If you don't see Lebron lacking in this area then I just don't know what else to say. Lebron is without a question the best athlete in probably any sport and when on the move he is virutally impossible to stop so fouling him when he comes flying in is a good option. He is still shaky on the line when it counts (im sure stats from tribe will come soon on his FT shooting). You have to throw stats aside sometimes as they aren't everything. Lebron can pile on the points and get his numbers elsewhere but without winning rings in which he said they would have a long list of them, then what does that make him? a great stat guy and a proven non winner. Getting through the eastern conference with the team of stars they have should be a sinch (w/ respect to the bulls who would probably be here if it wasn't for the big injury) right? I mean take a look at the difference in the east and west. its laughable. KD is going to lead his team through the best of the best and quite frankly the heat rank behind the spurs and possibly the lakers so IMO they walk through this series in 5.
    edited June 2012
    lumpy19 wrote: »
    Chalmers and Battier both played fantastic last night....anything...anything from wade and it's a different game.

exaclty, battier and chalmers aren't going to continue to fire at that % from 3. OKC was totally out of sync in 1H and still won by DD. that doesn't worry you at all?
  • lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    newcombe wrote: »
    exaclty, battier and chalmers aren't going to continue to fire at that % from 3. OKC was totally out of sync in 1H and still won by DD. that doesn't worry you at all?

Winning a championship would be great for lebron but lots of great players never win a championship in sports. This isn't tennis or golf, it's a team sport.

EDIT: I'm a Bills fan, just thought that might be pertinent
    edited June 2012
    the BEST players do win championships though when put in a situation like the Heat did by adding the 'big 3' and some decent supporters on the roster. Of course Lumpy his talent doesn't come along too often but he lacks in areas that make a huge difference to be considered the best of the best. You saw at the end of the 3rd quater you have wade and lebron looking at each other bitching and wondering what to do. OKC and Durant you don't see that happen when they get down... KD and the team's resolve is honestly unheardof.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited June 2012
    You guys are talking about Lebron like this season is his last chance to win a title. The guy is 28 years old for God sakes. Jordan won his first title at 28, was he not all that great until we won a title? The Heat have the big 3, and not a ton of depth behind them. Last night, they basically went with a 7 man rotation and one of those guys in Mike Miller who is beyond running on fumes at this point (and can't make a 3 right now when it's really the main reason that he's on the court). We hear about what the Bulls would have done had Rose stayed healthy, however Bosh being out and Miller playing with the back of a 50 year old is completely discounted. Oklahoma City is the much deeper team, Wade is struggling, OKC has home court, and yet if the Heat don't win this series, it's somehow an indictment on Lebron's "greatness" as a player.
    edited June 2012
    its simple to me some guys have it and some don't. stat guy until he wins a championship. he is surrounded right now with plenty of talent my friend and dont' compare him to the likes of MJ
  • D300RageD300Rage Banned
    edited June 2012
    Wade looks like hes 80 years old on the court...the guy can barely move and doesnt play a lick of defense
  • UpsilonmanUpsilonman Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    I believe Lebron is 27. And wasn't it Lebron who absolutely shut down D Rose last year? Haters gonna Hate!
    edited June 2012
    no hate. i have said over and over his ability doesn't come along often at all. he is a freak of nature but if you take the time to read what I am saying in my posts you will understand where I am coming from and if not then i guess we totally disagree and see things differently. Very excited to see how this series pans out. they built this team to win championships so we'll see if they are capable or if they fold as they did last year.
  • UpsilonmanUpsilonman Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    I understand your point, I just disagree with it. Time will tell who the best of this era will be. I am exicted to watch it all play out. Comment was not directed soley at you New. The hate for LBJ out there is tremendous. The over analysis and scrutiny is comical at times. I chose to side with those that back LBJ. I am a fan and a supporter. LETS GO HEAT!!!
  • vegasconnxnvegasconnxn Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    i don't even mind if a player doesn't win a championship, but it's how he plays when the team's success is in the balance...for instance, dan marino had a poor supporting cast, but he did pretty much everything he could do to get his team to win in the playoffs--he couldn't outscore the opposition by himself. queen james is an athlete that just doesn't put his team in the best position to win the big games by making the right basketball plays down the stretch. his plays should consist of two choices...drive to the basket for a dunk or a foul, or drive to draw the defenders and pass the ball to a better/open shooter for a higher percentage shot. his broken jumper is what hampers the offensive efficiency of his team as he keeps firing away with low success. although the thunder are a better team, queen james does in fact have enough talent around him to win a championship, and if his acclaim is accurate, it would be enough to make it happen.
  • ContrarianContrarian Banned
    edited June 2012
    503 Miami +5', stellar bet
    edited June 2012
    love the word stellar contra but i have to say not a 'stellar' bet. maybe the 1H again but 4 the game the bet is certainly on the thunder. glad to see you actually posting a play though.
    edited June 2012
    Conty vs Newcombe is a battle I'm always willing to wage.
  • tribecalledjefftribecalledjeff Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    In case it's not obvious, I'm on Miami also.
  • spiderman77spiderman77 Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    his plays should consist of two choices...drive to the basket for a dunk or a foul, or drive to draw the defenders and pass the ball to a better/open shooter for a higher percentage shot.

I heard that a million times from my fellow Cleveland fans when he played for us. It's not that simple. When defenses don't respect your perimeter game you have little chance of succeeding by consistently driving, even as good as LBJ is at penetrating and passing. Look at poor Rondo, he can't get a defender into his zip code when he's on the perimeter. That limits his options tremendously. Bottom line, if LBJ wants to even be spoken in the same breath as MJ, he needs to fix his perimeter shot and free throw percentage. I'd say the same about Rondo, but his ugly ass shot is beyond repair.
  • kass101kass101 Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    I heard that a million times from my fellow Cleveland fans when he played for us. It's not that simple. When defenses don't respect your perimeter game you have little chance of succeeding by consistently driving, even as good as LBJ is at penetrating and passing. Look at poor Rondo, he can't get a defender into his zip code when he's on the perimeter. That limits his options tremendously. Bottom line, if LBJ wants to even be spoken in the same breath as MJ, he needs to fix his perimeter shot and free throw percentage. I'd say the same about Rondo, but his ugly ass shot is beyond repair.

Thus why James Harden is the best player in the entire series.

To add, I am a very conflicted basketball fan being from Seattle and having a father who had season tickets since I was born and thus hate everything about the OKC franchise. However I love watching Durant and Harden is my favorite player in the league, I have always liked his old man game since his time at ASU. He has gotten way better in his 3rd year in the league and is no longer just a chucker. Harden is a better PG than Westbrook at this point and the fact that he brings ball up almost every time at the end of games now proves it.

I really wish the Spurs would have beat OKC so I could root for someone because at this point I dont even want to watch.
    edited June 2012
    Contrarian wrote: »
    503 Miami +5', stellar bet

Wire-to-wire shipment, stick to bases newc.
    edited June 2012
    if i stick to bases then Im even a bigger loser :)...
    edited June 2012
    kass101 wrote: »
    Thus why James Harden is the best player in the entire series.

Sorry, buddy. Had to bump this after that debacle of a 4th quarter tonight.
    edited June 2012
    Sorry, buddy. Had to bump this after that debacle of a 4th quarter tonight.

Oh he did not play good tonight at all, but one game does not make the series, or his ability.

You are big on quoting numbers so dont bump something that falls exactly in line with all the shit you are arguing against in regards to LBJ.

We know why Brooks did not sign the extension, he doesnt want to coach Westbrook for 3 more years.
    edited June 2012
    There is no point quoting sarcasm and hyperbole. Harden has been my favorite player in the NBA true, but obviously my post was a shot at Westbrook which I dont think anything has changed.
    edited June 2012
    Haha I know, I actually like Harden. I'm just giving you shit. And yes, I loathe the way that Westbrook plays. Talented as hell, but he's an idiot.
    edited June 2012
    Haha I know, I actually like Harden. I'm just giving you shit. And yes, I loathe the way that Westbrook plays. Talented as hell, but he's an idiot.

Oh no, I just think Harden is better than Westbrook and have always liked Harden. Obviously it is hard to get sarcasm on shit like this but thats my only beef. you read my early post so you know how conflicted I am about OKC.

You didnt have to delete the second part trust me my only problem is that I think Harden is better the Westbrook.

Plus I gotta defend my boy Harden haha
    edited June 2012
    kass101 wrote: »
    Oh no, I just think Harden is better than Westbrook and have always liked Harden. Obviously it is hard to get sarcasm on shit like this but thats my only beef. you read my early post so you know how conflicted I am about OKC.

You didnt have to delete the second part trust me my only problem is that I think Harden is better the Westbrook.

Right I realized that after I read your second post. I won't argue that Westbrook is better than Harden. If any other big time scorer played with Westbrook besides KD, they'd have killed Westbrook by now. Imagine if Westbrook played with Kobe.

A buddy of mine got a great screen cap right before the turnover on the inbounds play at the end, I'll see if I can figure out how to upload it. Speaks volumes.
    edited June 2012
    Westbrook ignoring Brooks in the huddle in the final minute.
    edited June 2012
    Right I realized that after I read your second post. I won't argue that Westbrook is better than Harden. If any other big time scorer played with Westbrook besides KD, they'd have killed Westbrook by now. Imagine if Westbrook played with Kobe.

A buddy of mine got a great screen cap right before the turnover on the inbounds play at the end, I'll see if I can figure out how to upload it. Speaks volumes.

For sure, didnt think you would post back that fast I edited my post a few times.

My thought is that if you put Harden in a role as the PG where he would have to distribute to KD and others he would relish that role as he has shown with the ball in his hand before, while Westbrook just chucks it up when he gets flustered and the clock goes down.

I was watching the US Open an TVG during the game and honestly watched about 10 total minutes of it. The first I saw of it was with about 6 minutes left in the 3rd when Westbrook basically destroyed 5 possessions in a row for the Thunder.
    edited June 2012
    Was the blimp dropping free Chick-Fil-A coupons? I guess OKC is big on the fast food. Is that Racist?
  • BIGtimerDCBIGtimerDC Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    Westbrook ignoring Brooks in the huddle in the final minute.

That is awesome! Haha. I can't stand Westbrook to the point I'm even rooting for the Heat. I love Durant. He's such a baller, but LBJ is in another zip code. He is playing awesome this whole postseason. He's showing a little more killer instinct now after all the criticism for lack of clutch shots. I was on Heat tonight and will be Tuesday! Too much defense when the Heat come to play that's the difference I think. It's just Lebron's time.
  • lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    From Peter King's column today....
    I mean, it's fine to hate a guy, and to boo him. But to not acknowledge James' greatness is downright foolish.

Perfect quote for all those LBJ haters