Betting Talk

Why aren't there private messages on this forum?

SquigglySquiggly Senior Member
edited May 2012 in Sports Betting
Is the admin willing to permit them?

Would be very useful.

For one thing, some topics could be pursued off the board which would result in less hurt feelings and misunderstandings - pros and cons of methodolgies could be discussed without posters worrying that the person they are following will desert the board, etc.

Of course, they would be convenient for many other reasons.

Comments

• RightAngleRightAngle Admin
    edited April 2012
    PM's tend to be prone to abuse and elitism, but I will revisit the issue if there is overwhelming support for it.
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    I would like to see them made available.
  • SquigglySquiggly Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    I've been on many forums and have never felt that a forum was harmed by having pm's.

But I've been on several that I feel were hindered by not having pm's.
  • worm33worm33 Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    Agreed PM's would be nice
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    worm33 wrote: »
    Agreed PM's would be nice

I too would be in favor of PMs
  • CoopsCoops Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    100% in favor if possible
  • tribecalledjefftribecalledjeff Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    I would be in favor of PMs, too.
  • BigFishBigFish Member
    edited April 2012
    One more in favor of PMs.
  • buythehookbuythehook Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    Im down for PM's
  • lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    I'd vote yes for PM's
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    I'll add my 2c and say yes PM's would be nice.
  • buckeyesbuckeyes Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    Ditto +1
  • namathfannamathfan Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    count me in
  • increasedoddincreasedodd Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    Me too
  • HavanaHavana Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    What are PM's?? Thanks
  • buythehookbuythehook Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    Private messages between members
  • Petey PabloPetey Pablo Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    Would be nice to have. Sometime got a question bout deposit in sports books and other questions related to getting bets in and know open forum not the right place to post.
  • lentellentel Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    I would like Pm's to be an option also
  • HavanaHavana Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    What needs do PM's solve? Thanks!
  • TwoninerTwoniner Member
    edited April 2012
    I lend my overwhelming support to PMs
  • HowardBealHowardBeal Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    Sounds like a terrible idea.....
    edited April 2012
    16 - 1 in favor.
    edited April 2012
    HowardBeal wrote: »
    Sounds like a terrible idea.....

hehe What a surprise...

Havana,

I also believe sometimes there's questions about sports books don't belong on an open forum and there is a need for PM's IMO. I don't see the harm of a 30 day trial and then let the Mods make a decision. 30 days won't upset the forum and I personally don't believe their used that much but it's nice to know you have the option.
  • NDFan221NDFan221 Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    I am definitely in favor of PMs
  • HowardBealHowardBeal Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    O/U first huge problem stemming from shared personal info-scam, sharing of a local that someone stiffs?

Id say 25 days, but it might take a full month....

The question becomes, what is it you need to message another poster, that you cant share with the board?
  • TheRebTheReb Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    HowardBeal wrote: »
    O/U first huge problem stemming from shared personal info-scam, sharing of a local that someone stiffs?

Id say 25 days, but it might take a full month....

The question becomes, what is it you need to message another poster, that you cant share with the board?

How about a personal email or phone contact if someone is visiting another members city and they want to contact that member, obviously they don't want the whole board to necessarily have that information...it has been helpful before, count me in favor of PM availability, you can always have the option of turning it on or off if you don't want to get any correct?
  • PettimorePettimore Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    No for me
  • RightAngleRightAngle Admin
    edited April 2012
    There isn't any question that PM's could be beneficial to certain users in certain situations, but the question is whether or not having PM's turned on would be in the best interest of the forum as a whole.

Taking content away from the main board and giving people the opportunity to abuse posting rules are the two main concerns here.
    edited April 2012
    RightAngle wrote: »
    There isn't any question that PM's could be beneficial to certain users in certain situations, but the question is whether or not having PM's turned on would be in the best interest of the forum as a whole.

Taking content away from the main board and giving people the opportunity to abuse posting rules are the two main concerns here.

I understand your concern about taking content away from the main board. I'm missing the abuse to posting rules but anyway is there a way to limit the amount of times one can use PM's say 3 a month. I know you know sports books have people on these forums and sometimes there are legit question that shouldn't be for everyones eyes. I'm not talking about Plays or trends or things of that nature I'm talking about the best way to deposit what CC are being excepted where to buy gift cards that used for deposits. I personally am not looking to take anything away from what I feel is an excellent forum. You have done a great job job and your decision will be final and regardless which way it goes will all comply and move on.
    edited April 2012
    RightAngle wrote: »

"Taking content away from the main board..."

So far all of the examples posters have given of why they would use a pm are all examples of things which would not be posted on the boards by them anyway.

Of all the times I've sent a pm on other forums, none of those were things I would have posted publicly on the forum, so the forum lost no content.

" giving people the opportunity to abuse posting rules..."

If 2 posters know each other and get together and have a conversation that would be in violation of the posting rules if they posted the conversation , are they doing wrong by having the conversation?

The private message is private just as if it was an in-person conversation, phone conversation, text message, im, email, etc.

Like Old-Timer, I don't understand your concern here either.