Betting Talk

Why aren't there private messages on this forum?

2»

Comments

• RightAngleRightAngle Admin
    edited April 2012
    Sure, there are cases where certain content would not get posted on the main forum regardless, but there are also cases where the main board is an option. For example if someone wants to ask StevieY a question, they may PM him instead of posting it on the forum, thus everyone else would miss out on the content of the discussion and the opportunity to contribute to it and make it even better.

Then you start getting posts on the main forum, "Hey StevieY, did you get my PM?" and everyone is left on the outside wondering what it might have been about.

Two people don't have to know each other to PM. I'm not suggesting everyone would abuse the posting rules, but even our policy to e-mail contact requests has been abused in the past. So it isn't a question of if PM's would get abused, but how often and how much. Illicit material, advertising, etc. in PM's have been rampant on other forums.
  • chuckhchuckh Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    only time I have wanted to use pm is when I wanted to know if cools was gonna be in New Orleans for the arena bowl in 2008 because I was gonna be in New Orleans for the event and I knew he was assoc back then with San Jose Sabersharks. I did not of course publicly ask because did not want to give out public info regarding how to get in touch with me. Anyway my 2 cents
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    pretty sure everyone has gotten along just fine without PMs so i personally could care less if there are turned on. i love the board and what it provides to everyone that frequents BT.
  • chuckhchuckh Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    Realized my mistake in above post, san Jose are sabercats.
  • tribecalledjefftribecalledjeff Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    There are several times that I wanted to ask another poster something that wasn't board appropriate or board worthy. In a couple of these situations, I've had the poster's email address so I could get in touch with them that way. In the other cases, I had no way to get ahold of them. In none of these situations was the reason that I wanted to get in touch with them abusive or inappropriate. It would have been very nice to have PMs.

That said, it's not the end of the world to not have them, but I think it would be nice.
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    There are several times that I wanted to ask another poster something that wasn't board appropriate or board worthy. In a couple of these situations, I've had the poster's email address so I could get in touch with them that way. In the other cases, I had no way to get ahold of them. In none of these situations was the reason that I wanted to get in touch with them abusive or inappropriate. It would have been very nice to have PMs.

That said, it's not the end of the world to not have them, but I think it would be nice.

Agree with tribe here. If people don't want to use PMs--don't, or turn them off, but I believe the benefits for the board overall, would greatly outweigh the detriments, if PMs were available
    edited May 2012
    Here is the last PM I got on another forum:

Hello,

Have you ever heard about games which are 100% sure and odds are very high (like 15 at least) ? yest they exist, you just need to have a good source, I am representing a joker team.
    Please check our blog [URL="http://www.************/"]www.************[/URL] and contact [email protected] if you are interesting in.

You can find there informations about 100% security games on which you can only win. We also have a lot of proves (video etc) and you can see that we are a strong, professional and honest group.

With us you can make really amazing money,
    regards
  • tribecalledjefftribecalledjeff Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    RightAngle wrote: »

Hello,

Have you ever heard about games which are 100% sure and odds are very high (like 15 at least) ? yest they exist, you just need to have a good source, I am representing a joker team.
    Please check our blog [URL="http://www.************/"]www.************[/URL] and contact [email protected] if you are interesting in.

You can find there informations about 100% security games on which you can only win. We also have a lot of proves (video etc) and you can see that we are a strong, professional and honest group.

regards

Sorry for sending you that.
  • hornhorn Super Moderator
    edited May 2012

Hello,

regards

If you don't respond to me, I'm going to post this to the forum:

Thread Title: Hey Ed - PM Question??

Content: Did you get my PM I sent you? I have games where the odds are sure and high. Plz respond TIA

~ US JokerFix
    edited May 2012
    I already responded, 12-0 so far.
  • kass101kass101 Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    I vote no for PMs

Ed dont hold out on us, 12-0, we need to know that blog address.
  • SquigglySquiggly Senior Member
    edited May 2012

Hello,

regards

How long did it take you to glance at it and delete?

I received the same pm at another forum and one other junk pm.

However, that was a total of 2 spam pm's I received at that forum over the last few years. Took about 5 seconds to glance at it and delete.

Again, the pluses far outweigh the minuses for myself and other posters who have responded.
    edited May 2012
    Squiggly wrote: »
    How long did it take you to glance at it and delete?

I received the same pm at another forum and one other junk pm.

However, that was a total of 2 spam pm's I received at that forum over the last few years. Took about 5 seconds to glance at it and delete.

Again, the pluses far outweigh the minuses for myself and other posters who have responded.

And honestly what are those pluses? and if BettingTalk does not have PMs I am sure you can find another way to talk nonsense with your forum buddy.

Example: I think Horn is a nice guy and maybe if I ever visit the dirty south to catch a football game I would like to look him up. I am sure Ed would provide me with his email if he agreed and I asked nicely.

"not that I actually know Horn, he may be a creepy senile SEC fan" but the point is if you already know the person there is no need for PMs and if you dont there are plenty of way to get ahold of them.
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited May 2012

Hello,

regards

C'mon Edward you know it is far easier to sign up for spamming accts at other forums than it is here and you know it's not a frequent occurence. If you're really using that as part of your no PM's reasoning that's pretty lame.
    edited May 2012
    kass101 wrote: »
    And honestly what are those pluses?

BuckyBadger - "Agree with tribe here. If people don't want to use PMs--don't, or turn them off."

Some people may have no use for subscribing to a thread. That's not a good reason to disable it. Those that see a use for it will use it, others won't.
    Same with pm's. It's fine if you see no need for them. The majority who have responded in this thread do. (I believe it's 19-4 currently).
    edited May 2012
    BuckyBadger - "Agree with tribe here. If people don't want to use PMs--don't, or turn them off."

Some people may have no use for subscribing to a thread. That's not a good reason to disable it. Those that see a use for it will use it, others won't.
    Same with pm's. It's fine if you see no need for them. The majority who have responded in this thread do. (I believe it's 19-4 currently).

You still didnt actually tell me what these pluses are.
    edited May 2012
    kass101 wrote: »
    You still didnt actually tell me what these pluses are.

It's irrelevant. I'm not interested in justifying it to you. I voted yes, you voted no.

The 82% who responded "Yes" see uses for them.

You obviously have no uses for them. Others do.
  • HowardBealHowardBeal Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    Here is an article about the successes of PMing at another forum.....

http:/www.deadspin.com/5906658
    edited May 2012
    It's irrelevant. I'm not interested in justifying it to you. I voted yes, you voted no.

The 82% who responded "Yes" see uses for them.

You obviously have no uses for them. Others do.

wtf kind of a response it that? How can the issue of PMs get you so fired up?

you really have to respond like that because you cant name the "pluses" for me in the 30 seconds it takes to post?
    edited May 2012
    HowardBeal wrote: »

Holy FUCK are people really this FUCKING stupid?
  • HowardBealHowardBeal Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    I got homerplayer and perm with the same scam years ago.....
    edited May 2012
    I got homerplayer and perm with the same scam years ago.....

And that story is actually a seriously good read. Crazy shit done by stupid people and I would love to know what startup viral marketing company started with that shit. They are pretty damn smart honestly and I am sure they have made pretty good money so far.
  • lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
    edited May 2012

You can't protect people from their own stupidity
    edited May 2012
    PM's tend to be prone to abuse and elitism, but I will revisit the issue if there is overwhelming support for it.

The support was strongly in favor.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited May 2012
    The support was strongly in favor.

Ed can speak for himself, but he said he would revisit the issue, not necessarily decide to add PM's based on the support.