Betting Talk

Ryan Braun, MVP, Tests Positive

footballpixfootballpix Senior Member
edited December 2011 in Sports Betting
Story on ESPN. Jesus... what are these guys thinking? They know they are getting tested. Fifty games at least.

Comments

• bixlerbixler Senior Member
    edited December 2011
    LMAO....what a fraud.
  • Wire2WireWire2Wire Senior Member
    edited December 2011
    STEROIDS have finally found the SMALL MARKET TEAMS.I guess you could call it PARITY...w2w
  • TheLegendaryTheLegendary Junior Member
    edited December 2011
    I'm waiting for the full explanation for the false positive test to be related to Braun's vegetarian diet. It'll be the next most ridiculous excuse since Brian Cushing's "overexertion syndrome" nonsense.
  • meeker15meeker15 Senior Member
    edited December 2011
    He has been denying it the whole time. I know that doesn't make it better but his second test was negative. ESPN is jumping the gun again as usual. Let's just give it a chance to play out!
  • BigfistBigfist Member
    edited December 2011
    The fact that the second test was reportedly negative means nothing, as it was a different sample at least a couple of weeks after the first. Braun's best chance is to claim that the first test was "doctored".
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited December 2011
    funny to go back and listen to his comments regarding A-Rod when he was caught... "No I would never use any performance enhancers as if he was using I would hit 60-70 bombs... Alex just needs to come out and tell everyone he was using so it will go away quicker..." Appears that Braun may need to take his own advice.

just shows that everyone is a potential cheat. nature of the beast...
  • lastwaverocklastwaverock Member
    edited December 2011
    Following European basketball (and all the horrible false test injustices) has made me develop a skepticism of any initial results, the same way most are skeptical of the athlete. Almost every form of drug testing being used by most major sports leagues is flawed.
  • BigfistBigfist Member
    edited December 2011
    Following European basketball (and all the horrible false test injustices) has made me develop a skepticism of any initial results, the same way most are skeptical of the athlete. Almost every form of drug testing being used by most major sports leagues is flawed.

Do you have some documentation of that? I can't remember having seen baseball rescind one of those PED suspensions...ever!
  • LawboyLawboy Senior Member
    edited December 2011
    Im not sure what method they use for the urine screening, but the only true way to tell if someone has used a substance is through a blood test. I deal with false positives for guys on probation all the time. In one recent test urine stick test, the probation officer dropped the stick on the ground, then used it anyway. I don't know the circumstances of Braun's alleged positive, but measuring urine content for anything is unreliable. But I also know that no positive test has been overturned on appeal.
  • lastwaverocklastwaverock Member
    edited December 2011
    Bigfist wrote: »
    Do you have some documentation of that? I can't remember having seen baseball rescind one of those PED suspensions...ever!

http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/columns/story?columnist=voepel_mechelle&id=6129773

The biggest involved Diana Taurasi and Monique Coker getting their results overturned, and WADA shutting down the Turkish lab responsible. Numerous other athletes, both male and female involved in various sports in Turkey, also tested positive by the same lab for the same drug and even at the exact same levels. But there have been tons of rumors and allegations surrounding lots of suspensions, and how competent the entire process is. And that's not even getting to how you feel about the actual testing.

I'm sure the labs that baseball is using are better, but it still seems like there are a bunch of flaws in the way tests are being handled. The last paragraph in that linked column kinda reflect my thoughts.
  • LUCKY777LUCKY777 Senior Member
    edited December 2011
    When I was young, I beat drug tests using 300mg. Niacin, 3 Systex softgels and drinking a gallon of water a few hours before the test and it worked like a charm every time. That was 30 years ago, it's fascinating that there are guys stupid enough to get caught these days.