Betting Talk

NBA Guru - January Picks Thread

Comments

• BarneyMillerBarneyMiller Member
    edited January 2011
    Yes, they are free picks and I am enjoying them. But, he won't have many customers that will pay to have plays ten minutes before tip.

I haven't been tracking him as I can't play all of his picks as I'm not in front of a computer by the time some plays have already started.
  • utixutix Banned
    edited January 2011
    Yes, they are free picks and I am enjoying them. But, he won't have many customers that will pay to have plays ten minutes before tip.

Oh, it's even better than that. He wants you to have at least $50k minimum, he takes 10% of winnings, and he has access to all your accounts so he can bet the plays for you.

I can't believe more people aren't jumping all over the offer of giving a complete stranger access to 50k
  • lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    utix wrote: »
    Oh, it's even better than that. He wants you to have at least $50k minimum, he takes 10% of winnings, and he has access to all your accounts so he can bet the plays for you.

I can't believe more people aren't jumping all over the offer of giving a complete stranger access to 50k

did he say that? what a terrible plan if true. all kinds of problems with something like this
  • originalokieoriginalokie Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    Please elaborate on this for all UTIX
    Thanks
    BEST
  • utixutix Banned
    edited January 2011
    Earlier in the year Footballpix asked NBAguru is he was the same "NBAguru" that is on thesportsmonitor.com (as seen in the post below)

http://www.bettingtalk.com/showthread.php?155767-NBA-Guru-November-Picks-Thread/page3

Me being the curious person I am, I got NBAguru's email off that website and emailed him to ask more about his service since I've never heard of him before he popped up on BT right before the NBA started. His response was part of what I wrote before, although I had a bit wrong.

$50K min bankroll, he gets 25% of profits, and bets the plays for you
    Email distribution is $999 like any other service

On a side note, I don't blame the guy for trying. He might be a very good handicapper and profitable for all of his players. This type of thing isn't for me, although it may be perfect for many others. I question the fact that he plays quarters, halves, and full games. I honestly don't think you can obtain a long term winning record playing quarters, and probably not 1st halves either.
  • lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    Earlier in the year Footballpix asked NBAguru is he was the same "NBAguru" that is on thesportsmonitor.com (as seen in the post below)

http://www.bettingtalk.com/showthread.php?155767-NBA-Guru-November-Picks-Thread/page3

Me being the curious person I am, I got NBAguru's email off that website and emailed him to ask more about his service since I've never heard of him before he popped up on BT right before the NBA started. His response was part of what I wrote before, although I had a bit wrong.

$50K min bankroll, he gets 25% of profits, and bets the plays for you
    Email distribution is $999 like any other service

On a side note, I don't blame the guy for trying. He might be a very good handicapper and profitable for all of his players. This type of thing isn't for me, although it may be perfect for many others. I question the fact that he plays quarters, halves, and full games. I honestly don't think you can obtain a long term winning record playing quarters, and probably not 1st halves either.

It's actually the opposite IMO, it's easier to beat those than full game lines. The problem with those bets is limits. If he has several clients and tries to bang those lines all at once it's over, books will catch on and cut his acct(s). Those are small(er) markets. That's the problem with giving him access to your accts, if he gets your limits cut it's over. Books don't usually reinstate limits if you send them an email and tell them you gave access to your account to someone else. We should maybe discuss this in a separate thread.
  • TotallyTiltTotallyTilt Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    There's potentially a slew of problems with giving somebody access to your accounts. I wouldn't advise anybody does this unless they know him personally and completely trust him.
    edited January 2011
    For example, if he was dishonest, he could transfer your account balance to another account and withdraw it - this kind of stuff happens with player's pokers accounts all to often unfortunately.
  • NBA GuruNBA Guru Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    posting plays 1 minute from tip off is useless

Are you guys for real? I thought I was an NBA handicapper, not a therapist who needed to baby sit children.

UTIX - It's been made clear in past posts in my threads by the forum administrators that this isn't a forum for exchanging personal information or for advertising. So, no UTIX, I don't need additional help advertising, but thank you. It's a recreational forum. I'm sorry my post was useless to you. It sounds like I'm not doing enough to help YOU get down on winners in a free forum. I should probably be doing more... for you... posting earlier, to help YOU. You've been exceptionally interested in my plays since the start of this season. I wonder why that is? If my thread isn't valuable to you then why are you visiting it? Buddy, seek help.

Guys, settle down. This isn't some giant conspiracy. If no one here is benefiting from these posts I'll gladly stop posting, otherwise, kindly take your paranoid banter elsewhere. I have better things to do with my time than read this nonsense.
  • BarneyMillerBarneyMiller Member
    edited January 2011
    I don't see anything wrong in his offer. If you don't like it, don't do it. I don't like access to the accounts, either. Perhaps he has a very good reason for this. Without hearing his response, nobody knows.

Beating any sport for one year, if he ends up doing that, is very good. But, it's one year.

Regarding his betting on quarters and halves, I don't see anything wrong with that. Especially if he wins. Perhaps he has some way of capping quarters and halves that is profitable.

Very few people beat the NBA. If he can do it and he's posting for free, I don't see the problem.
  • kass101kass101 Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    I agree that he post his plays for free and it probably takes a lot of work, but to me, there is no difference in posting it 1 minute before the game or at half time. If people don't have time to see it and possibly bet it, why post it? He's made it clear that he is posting his plays on this board and others to try and gain paying customers for next year. He also admitted he won't be doing this again next year, so it seems very self fulfilling to me.

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood from yesterday's poor showing, I apologize if I'm off base here

Considering he is using the forum as a form of free marketing in order to garner customers for next year I dont feel you are off base at all. The point of this forum is not just to post winners but also exchange valuable handicapping information, one of those would be keeping people away from scamdicappers.

I am NOT saying Guru is one because I dont know enough about him and he does seem to know the NBA but clearly that is always an issue when something like this comes up.
  • utixutix Banned
    edited January 2011
    Guru,

I'm glad you didn't deny any of my claims. You went the route of attacking me instead of lying about your intentions. And the reason I'm interested in your plays is not because I'm playing them, but rather, I'm trying to become a better handicapper. Therefore, I try to take in many different handicappers picks and study them. I have many many tabs of excel spreadsheets with many different cappers picks recorded. Many have lead me nowhere, and others I've learned from.

I'm here on BT to become a better handicapper, not promote myself. I try to partake in different topics, often times learning, and sometimes teaching. Until today, you've never posted outside your own monthly NBA thread, which also speaks toward your only goal of self promotion.

If you choose to stay on BT, I'll stay out of your threads.
  • BigJoeyBigJoey Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    as barnymiller said , very few people win in the nba and if anyone knows someone who does i like to know who. as for guru to be a winner in the nba he got a long ways to go yet.
  • BookiefitsBookiefits Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    Seriously guys. STFU or take this to another thread.
  • BomberBomber Member
    edited January 2011
    gurau keep up the good work.. he had 7 minutes to get his bet down.. cant believe people complain when your giving them an opertunity to make money no charge..its a strange world out there
  • utixutix Banned
    edited January 2011
    Bomber wrote: »
    gurau keep up the good work.. he had 7 minutes to get his bet down.. cant believe people complain when your giving them an opertunity to make money no charge..its a strange world out there

I'm surprised that you still feel like this has anything to do with 1 particular play, and I'm not betting his plays.
    edited January 2011
    Guru,

Would you give the user names and passwords of your sports betting accounts to someone you didn't know, in the hopes that that person could make you some money?

People here should be aware of the risk involved. Do you understand that?
    edited January 2011
    Guru,

I'm glad you didn't deny any of my claims. You went the route of attacking me instead of lying about your intentions. And the reason I'm interested in your plays is not because I'm playing them, but rather, I'm trying to become a better handicapper. Therefore, I try to take in many different handicappers picks and study them. I have many many tabs of excel spreadsheets with many different cappers picks recorded. Many have lead me nowhere, and others I've learned from.

I'm here on BT to become a better handicapper, not promote myself. I try to partake in different topics, often times learning, and sometimes teaching. Until today, you've never posted outside your own monthly NBA thread, which also speaks toward your only goal of self promotion.

If you choose to stay on BT, I'll stay out of your threads.

I can't believe I'm even wasting my time lowering myself to this level and responding to this nonsense. For those who do benefit from the plays posted in this thread and get email notifications, my apologies in advance. I think I've done a good job of ignoring the occasional snide, ignorant, and ungrateful comments posted in my threads up until this point.

"the reason I'm interested in your plays is not because I'm playing them, but rather, I'm trying to become a better handicapper."

What could you possibly have learned from following my threads? I haven't offered a bit of insight into capping theory on this board or why I play what I play. Congratulations - you've followed a thread for 3 months and learned nothing. Sounds like an efficient use of time.

- "If people don't have time to see it and possibly bet it, why post it?"

First of all, I thought you weren't betting them. Second of all, you did have 10 minutes depending on which books you use since the game didn't actually start until 3:40p EST. Third, if you must press the issue, the original point of me posting my plays here was to have my plays documented with as much transparency as possible in real time for a few very specific potential private business ventures that were explored before this season began... not to advertise, not to get customers, not to teach people how to cap, and not to help or encourage people to bet on my angles. Posting in a forum like this where every play can be timestamped and reviewed allows for transparent documentation. I personally only recommended this thread to a very few select people to view and I'm not trying to convince anyone else of anything. I don't care what you think, but be considerate and leave your selfish, ignorant, and presumptuous banter out of my thread. If you don't benefit from the thread, don't visit. It's that simple.

I'll gladly deny claims that aren't true....

- "He's made it clear that he is posting his plays on this board and others to try and gain paying customers for next year." / "Considering he is using the forum as a form of free marketing in order to garner customers for next year"

Completely untrue. UNIX contacted me on his own very early in the season outside the means of this board and asked me how much I wanted for my plays. I quoted him a number and other potential options for getting my plays in for him as efficiently as possible since not everyone spends as much time on the computer as I do. Again, an interesting inquiry if he really just wants to know what I'm playing and not actually play it. You'd think he'd email me with questions about why I make picks if he's "trying to learn", not how he can buy them. My thread may have led to people going outside the means of this board, getting my contact info, and asking me how to get my plays in a more timely fashion or asking me to manage their bankrolls for them, but I have not actively sought out selling my plays to ANY of you nor was that the intention of my posting my plays here to begin with. Think about it, if I was trying to gain publicity wouldn't I post my plays on a busy board like SBR or Covers so I could get as much exposure as possible? The last thing I would do is post them on a board that isn't even freely viewable by the public since you have to pay $7 here to view. I challenge any of you to find another board I post on. This is the only one.

- "He also admitted he won't be doing this again next year, so it seems very self fulfilling to me."
    / "Until today, you've never posted outside your own monthly NBA thread, which also speaks toward your only goal of self promotion."

Call it what you want - I'm not here to socialize in other people's threads. I'm just here to have my plays documented in a transparent fashion. The comment about questioning value in quarters and halves shows you've really learned a lot from your socializing.

- "I'm surprised that you still feel like this has anything to do with 1 particular play, and I'm not betting his plays." Really? This all started with your one uncalled for and selfish comment, "Posting plays 1 minute from tip off is useless." If you're not betting the plays why do you care if they're posted 7 minutes before game time or 7 hours before game time? Yes, I realize the plays could be posted with more notice but for someone who appears to be so observant of everything I write you surely recall my comments from early November about the timing of my posts being mostly dictated by timing line movement to get the best lines possible... and now you've managed to gain the insight that I'm not on here to benefit you. Congratulations Sherlock Holmes.

- "If you choose to stay on BT, I'll stay out of your threads."

Yes, be a man of your word. Please stay out and stop wasting everyone's time with your BS.
    edited January 2011
    Guru,

Would you give the user names and passwords of your sports betting accounts to someone you didn't know, in the hopes that that person could make you some money?

People here should be aware of the risk involved. Do you understand that?

I simply said (in a private email outside of this forum) that if someone has a significant bankroll that I would be willing to manage it for them since timing of getting plays in can be important in this business and there are legitimate complaints about that timing. It's a workaround option, I'm not twisiting any one's arm. Managing a $10K roll isn't worth my time. In an event like that a lot more than emailing someone usernames and passwords is involved. There's a lot more that goes on behind the scenes when it comes to managing bankrolls than you clearly are aware of. Would I be willing to work out an arrangement for someone to manage my bankroll first hand? If the conditions were right, yes. Unfortunately for you, this thread isn't the place for a detailed conversation about that, nor am I interested in having that conversation with you. If anyone would like to continue a conversation about me, my picks, or any other hearsay BS that so and so says they think know, please create your own thread and go to town. This thread is for posting plays, period. ENOUGH! Do YOU understand that?
    edited January 2011
    I'm not accusing you of anything. I just asked you a question in the hopes you'd understand people's concern.
    edited January 2011
    And when I asked, "Do you understand", this wasn't meant to be a condescending question, it was a legitimate question. I read at least a thread a month on 2+2 about poker accounts being hacked and tens of thousands of dollars being stolen. Often it's as simple as a person giving a hacker their place of birth over AIM. Again, I'm not saying you're a hacker or going to steal money from people but since many people like myself have no idea who you are, there's a significant risk involved and people should be aware of that.

I've made my point hopefully and I am done posting in your thread.
    edited January 2011
    Happy MLK Day -

3* Washington +2.5 FH (Greek)
    3* Utah/Wash UNDER 98 FH (Greek)
    edited January 2011
    2* Memphis -2.5 FH (Greek)
    edited January 2011
    3* Utah -4.5 2H (Bookmaker)