Betting Talk

Stars and Stripes Vs. Black Stars Ingame thoughts

fratboyfratboy Senior Member
edited June 2010 in Sports Betting
USA D looks weak early. Altidore is also moving slow without the energy needed to advance any further in this competition.

Comments

• kass101kass101 Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    Well Bradley has shown that he has no idea what he is doing that point is clear already. Findley cant finish which we already knew all he can do is run fast and Clark had nothing yet he starts both of them and it cost us.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited June 2010
    At least he didn't wait to correct his Clark mistake.

I'm fairly confident that the US will be able to generate some scoring chances in the 2nd half, especially as the half goes on and we're forced to get more offensive (and likely make subs to that effect). Whether or not we convert those chances while avoiding defensive breakdowns is another story.
    edited June 2010
    Love the HT sub. Glad he didn't wait longer on that one as well.
  • fratboyfratboy Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    U.S is getting more opportunities to begin the 2nd H. MUST CONVERT
    edited June 2010
    COVERTED!! Good results occur after the approach the U.S is taking now.
    edited June 2010
    fratboy wrote: »
    COVERTED!! Good results occur after the approach the U.S is taking now.

...and the addition of Feilhaber. Someone can explain to me later why this isn't our main lineup. I posted before the tourney that I'd like to see Dempsey up front (mostly for lack of a better option). Clearly Feilhaber helps create scoring chances. This is the lineup Bradley has gone to twice now when we were behind. And perhaps most importantly, our defense doesn't seem to suffer any.
    edited June 2010
    Well Goats our defense is going to be bad no matter what but we just seem to work well with this lineup and Feilhaber is good on the ball which is something we need.

Bradley is a terrible coach always has been and I dont think anyone will ever know how he became the national coach besides doing some serious work behind the scenes.
    edited June 2010
    kass101 wrote: »
    Well Goats our defense is going to be bad no matter what but we just seem to work well with this lineup and Feilhaber is good on the ball which is something we need.

Sounds like you agree. If the defense is a wash either way (regardless of calling it good, bad, or mediocre), yet the offense is clearly better with this lineup... common sense says USE THIS LINEUP.
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    best 2nd half we have played maybe ever in world cup history. that was very impressive and hopefully continues into extra time. great ability to control the ball...
    edited June 2010
    Gomez in for Altidore... good sub #3 IMO. I might have preferred Buddle, but getting a tired Altidore out was the main thing I liked.
    edited June 2010
    demerit should be axed and should never be a WC sweeper... he is outmatched in every facet.
    edited June 2010
    newcombe wrote: »
    demerit should be axed and should never be a WC sweeper... he is outmatched in every facet.

they guy is terrible end of story.
    edited June 2010
    Black Stars D was great on the back line. Headed every threatening ball out of the box. Solid squad.
    edited June 2010
    just sucks again as the US dominated that 2nd half so bad and was out of gas for the extra time. have to give credit to the goal scorer for ghana in extra time to keep his balance and finish as he did. sick ass goal and guttwrenching to witness as demerit literally could've prevented both goals.
  • metagear89metagear89 Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    Let's be honest here. The US team's arrogance eventually was their downfall. They underestimated my country and thought the game would be a breeze. They went so far as making plans for the winner of the uruguay/ korea game. Apparently they didn't learn their lesson back in 2006.
    edited June 2010
    How exactly do you translate a slow start (which they've had repeatedly), a defensive lapse that led to the first goal, a dominant 2H, and the extra time goal into "arrogance"? I'm not saying you're right or wrong, I'm just wondering how you watch 120 minutes and attribute a team's performance to arrogance.

What did they do specifically that seemed arrogant to you?
    edited June 2010
    I'm not talking about the match itself. I'm talking about the build up to the match in player interviews and press meetings
    edited June 2010
    metagear89 wrote: »
    I'm not talking about the match itself. I'm talking about the build up to the match in player interviews and press meetings

Thanks, that makes more sense. If they sounded arrogant to you, fair enough.
  • hornhorn Super Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Why Ricardo Clark, WHY?????

Who you guys think just played in their last WC, other than essentially the entire back line?

Dempsey, Donovan, Howard, Gomez all go to Rio in their early 30's?
    edited June 2010
    Dunno about Gomez, but the first three would have to do something terribly wrong and/or have their games deteriorate significantly to not return IMO.
  • hornhorn Super Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Here would be the ages of the guys in 2014 that saw action today:

Howard 35
    Cherundolo 35
    Bocanegra 35
    Demerit 34
    Bornstein 29
    Bradley 26
    Clark 31
    Donovan 32
    Dempsey 31
    Findley 28
    Altidore 24

Edu 28
    Feilhaber 29
    Gomez 32

That just does very little to inspire me. Granted, a healthy Davies, Ching and Onyewu it coulda been a different story. I know that WC teams have a pretty high turnover these days, unless you are Italian or French (and we see how well that worked for the previous holders)

The range this WC from youngest to oldest average age on a squad is from 24.1 (Ghana, and this debatable...) and England 28.7. The US, as a team is 26.9, which is just shy of the median at 27.1.. I know we have less than 1% chance of trotting out the exact same starting 11 in brazil, but our average age from today's 11 in 2014 would be 30.9.. I just look at some of the key pieces of this team and wonder how productive they could possibly be next WC, where a non European team will likely win it for the second consecutive time, assuming a South American team takes it this year. For a lot of countries, the talent waiting to fill in and blossom is huge, I can't say for certain as I'm not real familiair with any feeder teams/programs we have here but it's pretty depressing to think about on an already somber evening.

I propose a nationwide prohibition of basketball. No kids will be allowed to play pick up games and no organized basketball should be played in the United States from this day forward. The reason I say basketball is because it's not an enjoyable sport to watch and I think they have the best skill set that translates into soccer success. The US would already have a worldwide monopoly on international soccer if this was the only sport we played, or primary - you know what I mean, and so just basketball players will be used and we can maximize that crop's potential in the future.
  • EscootEscoot Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    I can only imagine if EVERY NBA player had played ONLY soccer growing up.
    edited June 2010
    The immobility of altidore needs to be addressed. Plain and simple. He's not a true striker and I still can't understand the praise he gets from US fans