Betting Talk

Does anybody take MLB off for the Summer?

megapowers88megapowers88 Senior Member
edited May 2018 in Sports Betting
I know some guys don't do MLB and get a rest over the Summer for NFL, after NBA.

I think that every year and then lost a bit trying to bet MLB...again....anybody else struggle with it and think it's just better to take a break?

Comments

• cshcsh Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    If you forego MLB in favor of NBA and NFL I would hope you have millions upon millions
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited May 2018
    I haven't bet MLB in a few years. I do not have any millions.

Everything is relative and plenty of people live happy, comfortable lives without making a ton of money.

I have bet it in the past and may do so in the future but I honestly prefer my summers off, partly b/c my wife is a teacher and having the summer off with her is a big plus for me. It's when we vacation and just spend time together when not on vacation.

Different strokes, more than one way to skin a cat, etc.
  • megapowers88megapowers88 Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    Goats wrote: »
    I haven't bet MLB in a few years. I do not have any millions.

Everything is relative and plenty of people live happy, comfortable lives without making a ton of money.

I have bet it in the past and may do so in the future but I honestly prefer my summers off, partly b/c my wife is a teacher and having the summer off with her is a big plus for me. It's when we vacation and just spend time together when not on vacation.

Different strokes, more than one way to skin a cat, etc.

Yeah, kinda the same boat I am in...wife helps at a school so off all Summer...2 kids, twin boys....if I do anything, it'll be getting a few plays in mid morning but kinda nice to sweat anything. I like my K props though. We'll see. Plus it is very tilting, especially totals!
    edited May 2018
    Yeah, kinda the same boat I am in...wife helps at a school so off all Summer...2 kids, twin boys....if I do anything, it'll be getting a few plays in mid morning but kinda nice to sweat anything. I like my K props though. We'll see. Plus it is very tilting, especially totals!

I'm sure you could tell my response was both directed to you and csh. He gave what I would characterize as the standard, typical, perhaps most common, answer for a professional sports bettor. I always feel the need to respond to generalizations like that b/c I somehow manage to make a living without doing many of the things I know many pros do (and I'm trying to be careful not to generalize here myself). But I also likely have more modest goals/needs than most pros.

There are so many variables involved in your question... recreational/professional status as far as gambling and other sources of income, goals, motivations, family and financial situations, health issues, etc. that I feel like the only answer is of course some people don't bet baseball and obviously I don't mean that in a rude way.

Sorry if I got off-topic or my post was long-winded. It was relevant to your question in my mind but my mind can be a strange place. :)

I'll shut up now and hopefully others chime in more succinctly than I did. GL with your decisions.
  • jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    I for one don't let baseball run my life, I have a great model which only takes minutes to go over the games, even on paper. I go about my life and also make money , I stay low key with many outs, I did bang them this nba playoffs and have been cut off. Baseball confuses people with all the analytics, doesn't have to be.
    My model finds small favorites and small dogs... this has to be the craziest bunch of baseball capping threads i've ever seen.
    For the life of me , i don't understand why people keep betting those large favorites ,day after day. No good , i think last night was another great example.

My model has changed over the years , posted on SSB for many years and had super great years there , but as new analytics evolve , if i can, i add to model to help find an advantage, Ill keep changing if i get better numbers.

Goat made a great point.
    There are so many variables involved in your question... recreational/professional status as far as gambling and other sources of income, goals, motivations, family and financial situations, health issues, etc. that I feel like the only answer is of course some people don't bet baseball and obviously I don't mean that in a rude way.

I mean that's a great statement.

good luck going forward
    edited May 2018
    jets96 wrote: »
    Goat made a great point.

Thanks. I can't handicap so I have to contribute in some way. :)
  • megapowers88megapowers88 Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    Yeah, if anything I'll just be tailing a few and researching my own K props....thanks, all!
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    jets96 wrote: »
    I stay low key with many outs, I did bang them this nba playoffs and have been cut off.

You da man. Low profile betting and shut off in NBA playoffs?
  • Octan21Octan21 Member
    edited May 2018
    You one funny dude Ron!
  • StackAttackStackAttack Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    Who came up with the term "more than one way to skin a cat"?

I'd like to know why one would skin a cat let alone find multiple way to do so.
    edited May 2018
    Who came up with the term "more than one way to skin a cat"?

I'd like to know why one would skin a cat let alone find multiple way to do so.

Good question. Here ya go... Origin of the phrase
  • StackAttackStackAttack Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    Of course. Seba Smith. I shoulda known.