Betting Talk

Can any of the sharps on here share their story?

megapowers88megapowers88 Senior Member
edited October 2017 in Sports Betting
Hello,

It seems like there are so many reputable sharps on here that have been around awhile, get tons of "thank you"s, etc. Can anybody of them share their story/background or what they do for a living in the betting business? Always super interesting to me. Just curious.

Thanks!

Comments

• RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited September 2017
    Hey Jim,

Many of the threads you start end up with some kinda fireworks...no not the Pitt kind:laughing: I dunno, you just seem to spark controversy. How 'bout you telling us a little about yourself and what you do for a living. Just then, maybe someone will take you seriously and open up.
  • megapowers88megapowers88 Senior Member
    edited September 2017
    Ha, I don't know...I'm just an average bettor, family man, 40, kids. I run clinical trials for cancer. Some of the guys on here seem like pro bettors, super sharps, work at books possibly? It's interesting to me about how one becomes so sharp, or if they work in the industry, etc. Like, how did you get so sharp is my question...nothing serious, just interested, and trying to stir up some conversation. Yes, though, my posts to seem to light a fire, haha.
  • jmanjman Senior Member
    edited September 2017
    Hello,

It seems like there are so many reputable sharps on here that have been around awhile, get tons of "thank you"s, etc. Can anybody of them share their story/background or what they do for a living in the betting business? Always super interesting to me. Just curious.

Thanks!

I personally am a novice as well, and thought the thread was very interesting. I like learning, and hearing any stories people would have. I also understand if some who are considered "sharp" wouldn't want to give out any information that could possibly hurt their edge.
    edited September 2017
    Yeah, it's just cool to hear if somebody bets for a living, gives picks for a living, works in the industry, etc.
    edited September 2017
    Ha, I don't know...I'm just an average bettor, family man, 40, kids. I run clinical trials for cancer.

Do you foresee any across the board cure in the immediate future?
    edited September 2017
    Well, they take very long...a lot of them are more to elongate a manageable life, not exactly cure. The one I am working on will be in progress for another 3 years even...
    edited September 2017
    Some of the ingredients include:

Above average math IQ
    Networking with ppl smarter than yourself

For the psychology aspect I found marrying a woman with plenty of equity and NEVER borrowing from her.
  • Gordon GekkoGordon Gekko Senior Member
    edited October 2017
    Wow, 0-12 week..not good, 1more week and hoping it changes
  • jmanjman Senior Member
    edited October 2017
    Wow, 0-12 week..not good, 1more week and hoping it changes
    Who?
  • Gordon GekkoGordon Gekko Senior Member
    edited October 2017
    Myself
  • coyleraycoyleray Senior Member
    edited October 2017
    I'm not a sharp by any means. The best advice I can give anyone is don't get caught up in the hype and bet wild. Patience and some planning go a long way.
  • jimmymojimmymo Senior Member
    edited October 2017
    I'll tell you a story from the reverse perspective....I am in 40s....corporate attorney with a wife and two kids...today, I am best described as "square as fukk"...but not always the story

15 (or so) years ago, I very much considered myself a "50 dollar sharp"......I was one the guys lucky enough to come across RAS as a very early stage, way back when he provided write-ups on every game....great write-ups.....I learned a ton about advantage betting from his words and discipline.......and I was single and had a massive passion, devoting countless hours to knowing the ins and outs of every team....learning to locate great schedule spots...understanding the value (or lack of value) of key injuries.....coaching styles.....relative home court advantage....I felt like I was on top of all the information needed.......this was back in the day when pinnacle was open to U.S. bettors and they were the first to open with lines......I ABSOLUTELY LIVED for the opening lines in CFB and CBB to be released.....for a few years running, I was winning very solidly and just crunching the Pinnacle openers.......

THennnnnnnnnnnnnnn........pinny vanished.....RAS got complicated.....work got more time consuming.....I got married and had kids.....and now I am square as fukk

Cheers............................
    edited October 2017
    jimmymo wrote: »
    I'll tell you a story from the reverse perspective....I am in 40s....corporate attorney with a wife and two kids...today, I am best described as "square as fukk"...but not always the story
    Cheers............................

Don't sell yourself short Jimmy. Gotta family with guaranteed income. You don't haveta win twice(game&collection).

You're as sharp as a tack!
    edited October 2017
    jimmymo wrote: »
    I was one the guys lucky enough to come across RAS as a very early stage, way back when he provided write-ups on every game....great write-ups.....I learned a ton about advantage betting from his words and discipline

Write-ups are history also, along with his posting. Edward learned early.
  • EscootEscoot Senior Member
    edited October 2017
    These sharps shared their story. Looking for arbs sounds like fun. http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/20913399/nfl-spending-nfl-sunday-sports-betting-syndicate