A very nice gentleman gave me retention number for DIRECTV
    I have been with DIRECTV since mid 90's
    Have premier package
    I called and basically told them the story of leaving
    Long story short
    Saved $102/month for next 12 months
    Sorry to take up space but felt it was useful information

BEST

I had similar results with my annual call last week--as an added bonus I got the Sunday Ticket Max for free which wasn't part of the other reductions. It's kinda of a pain in the ass to have to call each year (or 6 months) because you'd think that as a long time customer one would automatically get the best rate possible. But, it is what it is and the call is certainly worth the time and effort
  • turksureturksure Senior Member
    edited September 2017
    Don't take the first offer, it only gets better.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited September 2017
    I got offered free HBO for a year and a $45 bill credit each month for a year for agreeing to a one year contract. So basically free Sunday ticket for the first 6 months, and $45 off the next 6. Worked for me.
  • showme1953showme1953 Member
    edited September 2017
    Would share the retention department phone number
    edited September 2017
    showme1953 wrote: »
    Would share the retention department phone number

I just call into the regular 800 number and say "cancel service" to end up with them.
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited September 2017
    I'm glad somebody's had some luck dealing with them. Since AT&T took over they have basically given me nothing-- it took several calls and was finally able to get a little off. When I asked for a supervisor because of the trouble I was having (they charged me for the Sunday Ticket even though I have never had it, and don't want it) they would not transfer me-- when I insisted, they put me on hold for 10 minutes before the line went dead. I just wish Dish had comparable sports.
    edited September 2017
    I'm glad somebody's had some luck dealing with them. Since AT&T took over they have basically given me nothing-- it took several calls and was finally able to get a little off. When I asked for a supervisor because of the trouble I was having (they charged me for the Sunday Ticket even though I have never had it, and don't want it) they would not transfer me-- when I insisted, they put me on hold for 10 minutes before the line went dead. I just wish Dish had comparable sports.
    Biggest key is to get to the retention department. Threatening to cancel will get you better deals than even a supervisor can get you in the regular customer service department.
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited September 2017
    TommyL wrote: »
    Biggest key is to get to the retention department. Threatening to cancel will get you better deals than even a supervisor can get you in the regular customer service department.

The last 2 times I asked for retention dept. they told me they no longer have one. My problem is that they can see I live out in the boonies-- therefore it's either them or Dish-- no cable to threaten to move to.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited September 2017
    I can't believe they won't connect you. Try telling them when they say they no longer have one connect me to the dept that use be called the retention dept. If they say they don't have anything I would get the name and send an email about being a long time sub.

There was a rumor a while back that they changed the name of the retention dept and I can't remember what it was. They may have changed it or there's a miscommunication or the clerk is being an ass which is pretty much normal these days with american workers. This Generation is the entitlement Generation. What you want me to work and care and do a good job I don't believe it.
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited September 2017
    The last 2 times I asked for retention dept. they told me they no longer have one. My problem is that they can see I live out in the boonies-- therefore it's either them or Dish-- no cable to threaten to move to.

try asking for the "customer loyalty" dept
    edited September 2017
    try asking for the "customer loyalty" dept

Believe that's correct. But, just tell them you want to cancel service and you'll end up in the right place. And even if you didn't have access to a bunch of cable options, tell them you're cutting the cord and going with PlayStation Vue or something like that. Just have to come up with some reason and act serious about canceling, and the game will start trying to get you to stay.