Betting Talk

Don't understand why so much money has come on Indiana

helmuthelmut Senior Member
edited September 2016 in Sports Betting
Did they suddenly get a great defense? Last year FIU was +8.5 in Indiana and this year +10.5 at home. Indiana lost a QB that was drafted into the NFL and also a very good RB. Last years game was close in total yards and if not for a late 96 yd TD return by Indiana for a TD would have been decided by less than 7 pts. FIU returns 9 starters on offense and really should be better than last year.

Comments

• PredatorPredator Senior Member
    edited September 2016
    going to the game tonight.... tropical storm weather not a problem down here, however its 92 degrees already at 11am and 75% humidity..brutal... plus i like an entrenched qb in mcgough, who set plenty of school records last year, over a once uconn signee, walk on ok stater and junior college tx player in lagow...just my observation and probably a little sided because i live down here but take it for what its worth im on the panthers plus the 10-..heres an article from a local beat writer here in miami

Massive betting line movement on Thursday’s FIU football season opener at FIU Stadium against Indiana says serious bettors -- the only bettors who get down on early season mid-major games with tight lines -- like IU a whole lot more than FIU.

And that might make FIU one of the biggest early season bargains.

According to Vegasinsider.com‘s consensus of sports books, Indiana opened a three-point favorite over FIU. That shot to nine points by Tuesday morning (a bet on FIU still wins if the Panthers win or lose by less than nine). A six-point movement in a week says bettors are getting down on what they consider a bad mistake by the sports book. In this case, bettors believe Indiana should solidly whip FIU.

Sometimes, belief can come from name rather than fact. Indiana plays in a Power Five conference, the Big Ten, and is coming off the rare (for the Hoosiers) bowl appearance. FIU plays in Conference USA with a streak of four consecutive losing seasons.

But the Hoosiers will be breaking in a new quarterback, Richard Lagow, who’ll be without last year’s offensive lynchpin, Chicago Bears draftee running back Jordan Howard. Nobody alive remembers a truly stout Indiana defense. While FIU’s defense undergoes renovation on the line and in the secondary, the Panthers return the same skill players (quarterback Alex McGough, wide receiver Thomas Owens, tight end Jonnu Smith, running back Alex Gardner) that moved the ball well in last year’s 36-22 loss at Indiana. FIU reached the IU 2-yard-line late in the fourth quarter before a McGough got smacked as he threw and the ensuing interception got returned 96 yards for the game clinching touchdown.

Then, there’s weather: humid as Bloomignton can be in the summer, it’s not the hallucinatory hot humidity of early football season South Florida.
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited September 2016
    For what it's worth-- I think FIU wins the game.