Betting Talk

All-Star Game MVP

jmanjman Senior Member
edited February 2016 in Sports Betting
Just wanted some thoughts on the MVP odds for tonight. I got Kobe at 3-1 a few days ago. I see he's down to about 8-5 most places. I think unless he falls on his face they'll probably give it to him. You guys have any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Jake T.Jake T. Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    No one is going to play any defense on Kobe at all. Well technically no one plays any defense on anyone really but Kobe is going to get a red carpet to the hoop.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    Kobe figures to be a popular choice, but I don't know how long he'll play. I expect him to get up as many shots as he can when he's playing, but I think at some point he might come out and let a younger guy take his minutes, so how many minutes he plays would be a concern. The guy I would look at is Russell Westbrook, this type of game is perfectly suited for him, and he's not bashful about shooting, if he gets a look, the ball's going up, I played him +800
  • caaladorcaalador Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    I agree, he might get a red carpet treating but it all depends on how many minutes he will play. I don't think they would give him MVP on his name alone. To have any comparision, when MJ played his last All Star game and everybody knew that, he didn't earn MVP. So no value here.
  • rookrook Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    jman wrote: »
    Just wanted some thoughts on the MVP odds for tonight. I got Kobe at 3-1 a few days ago. I see he's down to about 8-5 most places. I think unless he falls on his face they'll probably give it to him. You guys have any thoughts on this?

I keep reading about how banged up Kobe is, and watching him play throughout the season, even when he has a good game, there are limits to how many minutes at a time that he can sustain a high level of play. It's like he might make 3 three-pointers in a row, at which point he needs to rest a few minutes before he can make any more shots.

5Dimes has the bet for Kobe not winning MVP at -170, and I am mulling that one over...

It seems like the West would just run away with this game because everybody except Kobe is a scoring machine. But if Kobe is putting up a lot of shots, there are going to be a lot of misses as well, and this might allow the East to stay in the game. So I keep pulling myself back from betting the West at -5.5...
  • caaladorcaalador Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    Kobe not to win MVP is tempting. Also Curry at +800 looks good to me.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    After reading this article, I don't think Kobe plans on playing a lot of minutes tonight, and there's an interesting quote from Byron Scott. Scott says he trusts SA coach Gregg Popovich, who is coaching the Western Conference All- Star team, to use Bryant sparingly. "I know Pop is good," Scott said. "So I know he'll handle it." I could be wrong, and maybe Kobe really goes for it (meaning the MVP), but I think this will be a game where he plays as much as he can early on, then sparingly in the second half, I would be surprised if he plays well enough or long enough to compete for the MVP.http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14758418/kobe-bryant-los-angeles-lakers-relieved-all-star-break-amid-myriad-aches
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    Here's another article I found, it's rather long, but here's something that caught my eye. He (Kobe) has no interest in being force fed a fifth All-Star game MVP on Saturday; he'd be content if SAS coach Gregg Popovich played him 10 minutes. There's more to the paragraph, but you get the gist of it.http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-kobe-bryant-isn-t-looking-for-a-storybook-ending-at-all-star-game-064943676.html
    edited February 2016
    How is the vote decided? Is it fan vote or player vote or does the league name someone? If it's fan vote Kobe could go 1-for-12 and still win.
    edited February 2016
    If it's player vote he'll probably win no matter what as well. If the league decides than it's dicier.
  • jmjm Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    per wiki: The voting is conducted by a panel of media members, who cast their vote after the conclusion of the game.
  • winner_13winner_13 Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    Fudge what you hear, the money is pouring in on Kobe.

I believe when MJ didnt win MVP his team (east) lost the game. The west favorites to win this one. I cannot imagine Popovich who seems to have a deep respect for Kobe not play him a lot of mins in the 2nd half. What does Kobe need to save his legs for?

Kobe isn't going to say "I want to play a lot of minutes" in the media, but we all know he does.
    edited February 2016
    Also, I belive there is some sort of fan voting.
    edited February 2016
    Kobe just tweeted this:
    http://www.theplayerstribune.com/8teen/

If you can find some plus money on it, I think it's a great bet.

I was able to get
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    winner_13 wrote: »
    Kobe just tweeted this:
    http://www.theplayerstribune.com/8teen/

If you can find some plus money on it, I think it's a great bet.

I was able to get

Look at the date, he wrote that last year
    edited February 2016
    He tweeted it today, saying:
    "Written last year. Still applicable today".
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    I guess we'll see how it plays out, but I'm sticking with my position that he won't play a lot of minutes, and I don't see him putting up the type of numbers that would warrant being an MVP. If he does win it, he would be the oldest to ever do so. TBH, even though I'm not a Kobe fan, I wouldn't mind seeing him win the award, I just don't see it happening
  • jmanjman Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    Idk about him winning either, but I love my odds at 3/1.
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    Popovich just said:

'He'll play as many minutes as he'd like to play, I'm not going to hold him back'
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    These are two '5-seconds-or-less' offenses lol
    edited February 2016
    I watched for all of about 5 minutes before realizing that I still hate the All-Star game. Same for the NFL version. At least the NHL one was entertaining this year with John Scott playing. Maybe next year we can vote in Jimmer Fredette or something.
  • ct5320ct5320 Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    kane wrote: »
    Kobe figures to be a popular choice, but I don't know how long he'll play. I expect him to get up as many shots as he can when he's playing, but I think at some point he might come out and let a younger guy take his minutes, so how many minutes he plays would be a concern. The guy I would look at is Russell Westbrook, this type of game is perfectly suited for him, and he's not bashful about shooting, if he gets a look, the ball's going up, I played him +800

Well f'n done this weekend Kane
    edited February 2016
    kane wrote: »

Booyah!
  • jmanjman Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    Jake T. wrote: »
    Booyah!
    Great call!
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    Thanks guys, between Klay Thompson winning the three point contest, and Westbrook last night, this was a very nice weekend for me