Betting Talk

6 point teasers

golfer1000golfer1000 Senior Member
edited December 2015 in Sports Betting
If you can play 6 point 2 team teasers with no juice, what should you be playing to maximize odds. I'm not a teaser guy but if it's +ev with no juice, what should I be looking for? I'm referring to NFL

Comments

• TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited December 2015
    golfer1000 wrote: »
    If you can play 6 point 2 team teasers with no juice, what should you be playing to maximize odds. I'm not a teaser guy but if it's +ev with no juice, what should I be looking for? I'm referring to NFL

The simple answer is that you'd play anything that crosses both the 3 and the 7. So favorites of 7.5-8.5, and dogs of 1.5-2.5.
  • golfer1000golfer1000 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    TommyL wrote: »
    The simple answer is that you'd play anything that crosses both the 3 and the 7. So favorites of 7.5-8.5, and dogs of 1.5-2.5.

I understand that part of it. Was more curious if this is +ev if I cross the 3 and 7 with no juice?
    edited December 2015
    I understand that part of it. Was more curious if this is +ev if I cross the 3 and 7 with no juice?

Assuming that by "no juice", you mean that you're getting them at +100, then yes, they will generally be +EV.
  • underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    golfer where do u find these people?
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited December 2015

It's massively +EV. It's probably still +EV at -110. These were a huge part of any pro's portfolio back in the day when +100 was readily available.

Also, one small note, big road favs had not fared well teased down so you may want to avoid that subset.
  • cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Same situation with my guy. All games are -110 on straight bets. Teasers and Parlays +100 but has $200 max on all games.
  • golfer1000golfer1000 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Thanks. Is it plus EV to blindly play 6 point teasers even if they don't cross the 3 and 7 with plus 100? What about crossing the 7 and 10 at plus 100? Or even 1 side crossing 7 and 10 and the other crossing 3 and 7?
  • lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Goats wrote: »
    It's massively +EV. It's probably still +EV at -110. These were a huge part of any pro's portfolio back in the day when +100 was readily available.

Also, one small note, big road favs had not fared well teased down so you may want to avoid that subset.

NO....include them.

If big road favs have not fared well then bet the home dogs straight up and forget the teasers.
    edited December 2015
    Thanks. Is it plus EV to blindly play 6 point teasers even if they don't cross the 3 and 7 with plus 100? What about crossing the 7 and 10 at plus 100? Or even 1 side crossing 7 and 10 and the other crossing 3 and 7?

Cross the 3 and 7, ignore everything else.
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    lumpy19 wrote: »
    NO....include them.

If big road favs have not fared well then bet the home dogs straight up and forget the teasers.

This has been discussed here before but why would you knowingly include a subset that has performed suboptimally since 1994? That's 20 years now at 59-32, .648 and even worse over the last five at 10-7, .588. (This year so far 3-1)

I mean if you don't know that and just use the % each numbers picks up overall that's one thing but if you have that info why wouldn't you use it to make stronger bets?
    edited December 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    This has been discussed here before but why would you knowingly include a subset that has performed suboptimally since 1994? That's 20 years now at 59-32, .648 and even worse over the last five at 10-7, .588. (This year so far 3-1)

The 17 game sample is pretty insignificant, so it's tough to take much from it. Even in the 91 game sample, you've got about a 1-in-8 chance of a 71% outcome winning only 59 games. Certainly more significant than the last 5 year number, but is it enough to throw it out? Maybe the answer is "yes", but maybe it's just that those plays have seen some negative variance and not using them going forward will cost you many +EV opportunities. (Note that the road favorites, and higher totaled games to a lesser extent, are why I used words like "generally" and "the simple answer", as it's not quite as cut and dry as the other subsets)
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    We're talking about 4-5 games a year so we're never going to see the 'long run' or even a significant sample size in our lifetime but that's all we've got so...
    edited December 2015
    I trust the NFL market to make the number sharp
    edited December 2015
    Totally understand where Lumpy is coming from. I have selectively used road favs myself.

Good discussion and I tried to word my suggestion as merely that rather than definitive advice. Perhaps my wording could have been better.
    edited December 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    We're talking about 4-5 games a year so we're never going to see the 'long run' or even a significant sample size in our lifetime but that's all we've got so...

Exactly. So you've got 2 options (in the simplistic sense)...either act like that tiny sample size is significant since it's all we have, or look deeper into the underlying data and see how much value you're picking up crossing those numbers when looking at things like the % of games that end on numbers like 3 and 7 (and the prices to move off those numbers). I'd give more weight to the second option there and pretty much ignore a 17 game sample, even if it is 5 year's worth of data.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    For years talent has been grinding out $$ on alleged 'sucker bet' teasers. Posts similar to these make P.T. Barnum do 360s in the casket. They've not only educated the novice, but the old school BMs as well. Let's show everyone how fukn smart we are and continue to give away earning edges. This is not a dig to anyone in particular here............the horses already left the barn.
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    lumpy19 wrote: »
    I trust the NFL market to make the number sharp

Except it's been shown that for this particular subset at least, it isn't. But, whatever, maybe it's just variance and over the next 20 years it corrects. Either way at 4-5 games a season nobody is going broke or getting rich betting none, all or some of them.
  • duritodurito Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    The point distributions aren't the same with the new extra pt rule.
  • Casper WareCasper Ware Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Goats wrote: »

totals were 37 then, now there 47.
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    durito wrote: »
    The point distributions aren't the same with the new extra pt rule.

Good point rito, to be honest I wasn't even thinking of that. Gonna be a few years before there's enough data to know what the impact is too.
  • chuckhchuckh Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Speaking of teasers anyone know win percentage on 3 team 6 poibt teasers moving throigh key numbers no juice at + 180
    edited December 2015
    chuckh wrote: »
    Speaking of teasers anyone know win percentage on 3 team 6 poibt teasers moving throigh key numbers no juice at + 180

Can you rephrase the question? Not sure what you're trying to ask.
  • chuckhchuckh Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Tommy I guess i am asking will these wagers grind out a profit or not in long run or not? May not be big enough sample size to know? Just asking if anyone has data on these.
    edited December 2015
    chuckh wrote: »
    Tommy I guess i am asking will these wagers grind out a profit or not in long run or not? May not be big enough sample size to know? Just asking if anyone has data on these.

I can tell you back in the day, 3-teams at +180 was profitable, yes.
  • duritodurito Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    +180 3 teamers is about the same as +100 2 teamers (more variance betting 3 at once though)