Betting Talk

lessons from NFL week 1

mgmhatesmemgmhatesme Member
edited September 2015 in Sports Betting
share any if you have any...

Monday night was a huge victory for all the sports books. First time NFL coaches were 3-0 this weekend - element of surprise perhaps. Alarm bells were going off on both games for me last night, but I was too dense, too overconfident in my prior leans that may have been shaped too much by media/outside influences.

I think the Eagles came out flat and potentially looked ahead to Dallas week 2... they were dominated in 1st half and then dominated 2nd half. Game could have gone either way at the end. Will not adjust ratings from these teams, although actually Atlanta may be a bit overrated going into week 2 coming off a high profile win.

49ers showed quite a bit. Tomsula, OC Geep Chryst and DC Mangini did an amazing coaching job. Really liked how they moved Kaepernick around and the dominant power run game with essentially 3 TE alignments kept the Vikings on heels all game. Bridgewater showed off his popgun arm. Throws balloons, does not have the arm strength to drive the ball... is accurate when he has time, but SF did a great job of mixing up pressure and Bridgewater never was comfortable enough to get his timing down. Placed a stupidly large wager at Caesars on this and I should have had doubts when they accepted it so quick... almost like they were welcoming action on the Vikes. This game really hurt me.

I miscapped 3 games terribly - 49ers/Vikes, total on Sea/Stl game - special teams scores and up tempo styles, Oak - loss of starting QB didnt help, but CIN was on fire. CIN really has a great running game and enough on D to cause issues. I am not a fan of Dalton but they game plan around him enough.

Buffalo looked great, looking forward to the matchup against NE this weekend. I think Tyrod Taylor really helps this team and they have a good thing going with that D, Taylor, Watkins and McCoy.

Chicago surprised and kept it close with the red zone efficiency by Packers and ineffeciency by Chi the main difference in the game. Cutler looked different until the end of the game when he made a big mistake.

Carolina I think was more fortunate than surprising, I am not adjusting them up.

Mariota sure looks great in TEN. Sleeper DFS consideration moving forward. Winston predictably made mistakes. I think both TEN and TB are over teams to consider based on the aggressive play.

Hou may be better with Mallet at QB. Certainly when Foster returns, I think this team will have some value.

Cle, I dont think will be competitive with Manziel and the surrounding cast on offense is very poor. There defense is decent, but I dont think enough to overcome, looks like a tough year in Cleveland.

Comments

• RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    "Houston may be better with Mallet at QB.........."

Good obs MGM, but the above puzzles me. Bill O'brien is an alleged QB guru. Hoyer was his guy following preseason beat out of Mallet. Understandably, replaces Hoyer in 2nd half in blowout loss. You know how replacements go. Their success is usually aided by prevents and garbage time. For Coach O'brien not to rename Hoyer his starter, even as a pacifier shows his greenness. Controversy not good here.
  • mgmhatesmemgmhatesme Member
    edited September 2015
    Good point. I had them as an underrated team, but that was apparently a misevaluation as they didn't look good in the loss to KC and final score was not indicative of game. Makes more sense to stay away until we know what we have at QB there and potentially just wait on Foster return before considering placing a wager on them. Too much uncertainty.
  • kcburghkcburgh Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Curious as to how much you guys think the Chief's went vanilla in the 2nd half at least on offense.
    edited September 2015
    I was in Vegas watching 5 games at the same time... and I havent had a chance to digest it completely. Certainly seemed to me that KC was dominant against a very good Houston D... although they are up now against a very dominant Denver D. But KC has conservative tendencies on offense and when they were up so much, I think the definitely went back to it with the game pretty much sealed.

Regarding the upcoming game... On the other side of the ball, Peyton is showing a real lack of mobility / arm strength that has made him such a liability (relative to what he was) in the postseason the last 2 years. I expect Kubiak to want to run the ball quite a bit. KC was more susceptible to the run last year, but they have a ferocious pass rush that will give Peyton problems. KC I think also trends to a conservative offense... Alex Smith was the lowest QB last year in terms of Avg yards per attempt... the addition of Maclin and development/usage of Kelce is helpful, but they still have to go against a very good D. I think its an under game unless there are big defensive returns for TDs. KC usually dominant at home of course so I feel better about them... think how Peyton looked has really caused a lot of money to jump on KC early and the under here already.
  • underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Alex Smith was the lowest QB last year in terms of Avg yards per attempt..

I have him ranked 20th on avg according to my figures
    Last 3 gm pass att 38.0 ranks 9th
    Last 16 gm pass att 30.9 ranks 26th
    Red zone attempts 4.3 ranks 18th
    Yds per pass attempt 7.1 ranks 26th
    edited September 2015
    underwraps wrote: »

I have him ranked 20th on avg according to my figures
    Last 3 gm pass att 38.0 ranks 9th
    Last 16 gm pass att 30.9 ranks 26th
    Red zone attempts 4.3 ranks 18th
    Yds per pass attempt 7.1 ranks 26th

Cant find the specific information on this I remember here, apologize if mistaken. When I look now, I get 26th at YPA, and further down for YPC. I had him at, or perhaps within 1-2 players, of the bottom in NFL last year in terms of Yards per attempt for full time starters. It may have been an adjusted yards per attempt (or even yards per completion) metric from an NFL insider article I was reading, that adjusted for some since forgotten factor.

Thanks for the clarification
  • hornsfanhornsfan Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    kcburgh wrote: »
    Curious as to how much you guys think the Chief's went vanilla in the 2nd half at least on offense.

was at the game and they were still throwing the ball and taking shots in the 3rd Qtr. and the Texans D came up with some stops. 4th Qtr. they definitely went conservative to try and bleed clock.
  • olemiss10olemiss10 Member
    edited September 2015
    Couple of things that I think people don't think about when talking about Peyton. Last year in his last six games he was playing hurt with a quad/hammy injury. Manning has a new system, new coach, new offensive line built around a rookie LT taking the place of (Ryan Clady) a rookie center and a guard thats been there for 3 weeks now. Don't think Gary KUB planned on throwing the ball 40 plus times, but with a young o-line struggling and the running game not helping, Peyton did look shaky in the start. Not worried though think with more time and exp. with the line and system he will be just fine. Remember Manning is 17-1 against the AFC West since arriving in Denver only loss (wk 15 SD). Also big weekend for home underdogs as SF, Atlanta, Buffalo, and St. Louis were all winners in the first week.
  • jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    mg , do make your own lines ??
  • TortugaTortuga Moderator
    edited September 2015
    Peyton got sacked 17 times in 2014. He was sacked four times by the Ravens in Week 1. The Chiefs had five sacks Week 1. That new Denver offensive line better make some big adjustments in a shortened week.
    edited September 2015
    jets96 wrote: »
    mg , do make your own lines ??

yes, thats exactly what I do.

1. Set the lines what I think they will be (not what I think they should be) after the prior games on Sunday... usually do this during Sun night game or Monday at work... and I make sure not to look at lines already so I dont have bias.
    2. Update the list of underrated / overrated teams each week.
    3. Find areas where my lines differ and try to understand why or if there is an opportunity
    4. Consider match ups/injuries/coaching
    5. Consider motivational situations - primarily look-ahead games... where they are playing a non-divisional opponent and next week play a division game. Extra consideration given for prime time game the next week. Other factors like revenge from last year or embarassed last week esp on prime time, etc.

On the sides, I was off in the following games:
    - a few lines were off from -1.5 to -2.5 etc... but thats not too significant so I dont look at that as much... likewise from 4.5 to 5.5 is pretty much the same... ill only mention some key numbers
    - Had NE as a 2.5pt favorite over Buff, opened as a pick em. Unfortunately, I liked Buffalo here... I was thinking about how Indy was just favored by this amount when I made the line. Both teams looked good in wins.
    - Had MIN as only a -1pt favorite over DET (compared to -3), they did not look good against SF.
    - had STL as only a -2.5 favorite over Wash (compared to -3, -125), but forgot about the Desean injury when I did it... and also chance Gurley plays for STL and they get Tre Mason back. Again was thinking to last week when Mia opened at -2.5 at Wash
    - Had GB at -3, compared to -3.5
    - Had Indy at -6, compared to -7... didnt think Indy looked too good, but I made mistake here... people were going to back Luck on primetime
    - I didnt set the lines for Balt/Oak due to starting QB Carr, also didnt set for SF/PITT simply because i overlooked it
    - On totals, biggest difference I had KC/DEN set at 44 (42)... Det/Min 45 (43)... Arz/Chi 48 (45)
  • olemiss10olemiss10 Member
    edited September 2015
    17 times was the fewest in the league..... Last night showing again the line needs more time, but where there's a Manning..... there's a way
  • underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Yeah thank goodness he wasn't missing a limb the line would of went to +14. :D
    NFL most of the time works in reverse of what the subconscious comes up with