Betting Talk

Syndergaard

BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
edited August 2015 in Sports Betting
Noah Syndergaard is a 200+ fav for the Mets at Philly. His season ERA is 3.44 and his season WHIP is 1.148. In his nine road starts, the Mets are 1-8, and he is 0-5. His road ERA is 5.44 and his road WHIP is 1.619. Are these road numbers such a small sample size that they are insignificant, from a betting perspective, or is it proper to wonder why he is such a huge road favorite based on the aforementioned road stats? (I ask this even knowing they are playing the Phillies)

Comments

• StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited August 2015
    Noah Syndergaard is a 200+ fav for the Mets at Philly. His season ERA is 3.44 and his season WHIP is 1.148. In his nine road starts, the Mets are 1-8, and he is 0-5. His road ERA is 5.44 and his road WHIP is 1.619. Are these road numbers such a small sample size that they are insignificant, from a betting perspective, or is it proper to wonder why he is such a huge road favorite based on the aforementioned road stats? (I ask this even knowing they are playing the Phillies)

I have a small bet on Phily. I don't always look at those numbers especially if the person has a history that says otherwise, but for someone with a small track record and that much of a difference, I'll consider it.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    The line seems a tad high, but the Mets recent form, plus Jerome Williams and his 6.10 ERA probably has something to do with the high line. Quick question for you, off topic, but how much of an impact do you think the Jordy Nelson injury will have on the Pack? Personally, I think they'll be fine, even though Nelson was Rodger's go to guy, Rodgers is so good I don't think it will make that much difference.
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    I agree with you. It's always tough to lose your top receiver, but I too, think Rodgers will make whomever fills the 3rd receiver spot (with Cobb and Adams moving up to 1 and 2) a very productive option, whether it's Janis, or Montgomery, or Abrederis (if he can ever get on the field), or someone else. There is some speculation around these parts that the Packers would be willing to sign James Jones again, if he gets cut by the Giants
  • jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    its not about the pitching
    edited August 2015
    well i shouldnt say that, the metrics i use he is the 4th best pitcher going tonight, its only one metric but one i use, the mets are crushing the ball and are killers as a road fav and vs right handers ,phila is the opp....i wanted the mets but too much , i like them more yesterday and layed the 1.5, i was really thinking about it again tonight .
    Dont think even at that it should be that high ,but they are on a roll
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited August 2015
    jets96 wrote: »
    its not about the pitching

Phily's offense has been just about as good as the Mets lately and they have faced tougher overall opposition.
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    well i shouldnt say that, the metrics i use he is the 4th best pitcher going tonight, its only one metric but one i use, the mets are crushing the ball and are killers as a road fav and vs right handers ,phila is the opp....i wanted the mets but too much , i like them more yesterday and layed the 1.5, i was really thinking about it again tonight .
    Dont think even at that it should be that high ,but they are on a roll

I was waiting for you to say that you made the game Mets -300 but didn't take -200 because you thought it was a trap :)
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Dr. H wrote: »
    I was waiting for you to say that you made the game Mets -300 but didn't take -200 because you thought it was a trap :)

Now That is funny, But I also bet the Phillies at +197 IMO it was just way over priced. The Phillies have played much better in the 2nd half and I'm I would think they're in the top ten record wise the 2nd half. My Under 68.5 is STILL stone cold
    edited August 2015
    funny but you have the wrong guy, dont even know what your talking about with this trap statement.
    but its all good
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    funny but you have the wrong guy, dont even know what your talking about with this trap statement.
    but its all good

http://www.bettingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php/178455-StevieY-2015-MLB-Discussion-Thread?p=878367&viewfull=1#post878367

You said that you'd like Baltimore better if you were able to lay the wood with them. Pay more for the same couch, etc. Very scary way to handicap, and yes, very similar to looking for "traps."