Betting Talk

Any point in Hedging this bet

maidenguymaidenguy Senior Member
edited August 2015 in Sports Betting
I had a free play at Heritage and bet Minn -2 1/2 at -110 thinking the line would move up because it opened at pick'em and I saw some places had it at -2 1/2 -120. I did not handicap the game. Line has moved to -3 1/2 and looks like it could go to 4.
Is there any good reason to hedge this bet with a bet on Philly.

Forgetting the vig - I would have a $75 free bet on Minn. at -2 1/2 and lets say a +3 1/2 cash bet on Philly if I hedge.

Minn covers- break even
Philly covers-win $75
Minn wins by 3 -win $150.

Without the hedge if Minn covers I win $75 and if they don't I would break even because it's a free play. I know the correct play would be not to hedge as I have a favorable line but just wanted to hear some opinions.

The only thing that keeps me thinking to hedge is that I would win $75 or break even when either team covers but have a chance to win 2 units if I do hedge, if that makes sense.

Comments

• buckeyesbuckeyes Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Absolutely not unless you feel that Philly +3.5 is +EV. Otherwise you are just destroying the value on your original Minn bet.
  • bluejakebluejake Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Isn't Minn playing the Steelers? Right state wrong team.
  • maidenguymaidenguy Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    It is Pitt.
    Thanks Buck, that's what I was thinking also. Will look at the game more closely on Sunday, unless I can find a good reason to go the other way, I'll stick to the original wager.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    maidenguy wrote: »
    I had a free play at Heritage and bet Minn -2 1/2 at -110 thinking the line would move up because it opened at pick'em and I saw some places had it at -2 1/2 -120. I did not handicap the game. Line has moved to -3 1/2 and looks like it could go to 4.
    Is there any good reason to hedge this bet with a bet on Philly.

Forgetting the vig - I would have a $75 free bet on Minn. at -2 1/2 and lets say a +3 1/2 cash bet on Philly if I hedge.

Minn covers- break even
    Philly covers-win $75
    Minn wins by 3 -win $150.

Without the hedge if Minn covers I win $75 and if they don't I would break even because it's a free play. I know the correct play would be not to hedge as I have a favorable line but just wanted to hear some opinions.

The only thing that keeps me thinking to hedge is that I would win $75 or break even when either team covers but have a chance to win 2 units if I do hedge, if that makes sense.

Maidenguy this is my own opinion and if you think about it's the proper way of playing Free play. Never play a straight bet with free play books love when you do that. You play parlays and to really play it right you play a Round Robin with 3 dogs in it. In your case with the uneven amount I would have played Team A +150 Team B +150 and Team c +150 just throwing numbers out there. remember there's no time limit when you have to play the free play. So back to the play you have $75 you play 3/2's for $20 a way and 1/3 for /$15 Hit 2 out of 3 and your good it's free money and if you get lucky and win all 3 it's a beautiful thing. I never tell any man what to do with his money but playing a straight bet with free play is wrong. If there's nothing else to get out of this is Straight bets is not the way to go with Free play

Quick story when I was with I forget the name but it was the Greeks Sister Book Betjam or Olympia something like that and of course before they stopped taking USA players but they had a loyalty program and every few months I would send them an email and ask them for my free play from the Loyalty program I would log-in a few hours later and there was the Free play from the program.. This particular time I received $600 and played a R/R $50 a way 3/2's and 1/3 all dogs hit all three. A couple of days later the same thing and hit all three again and then again. It's a long time ago and I picked up something like 3.5/4k can't remember the exact amount nut it pumped my B/R nicely for that $600 free play. That's a true story and may I get sick again if there's one word that's not the thruth in that story.

A-B $20
    A-C $20
    B-C $20
    A-B-C $15

PS: I haven't had free play in years but if any book tells you only straight bets I wouldn't waste my time with that book.
    But times have changed so I don't know I only have one book from far away places and that book I'm on the reduced juice program.
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Free play sounds like Bet jam OT. Damn, I miss that book for baseball.
  • maidenguymaidenguy Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Old Timer,

I called it a Free Play but actually Heritage is giving a free gift where you could wager it only on a side, total, and it is only for the one football game(Hall of Fame). I shouldn't of called it a free play.

I have had free plays in the past and I always play them in parlays. Thank you for your informative post.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    maidenguy wrote: »
    Old Timer,

I called it a Free Play but actually Heritage is giving a free gift where you could wager it only on a side, total, and it is only for the one football game(Hall of Fame). I shouldn't of called it a free play.

I have had free plays in the past and I always play them in parlays. Thank you for your informative post.

No Problem. Good Luck in 2015 Football is almost already here how time fly's.