Betting Talk

Max Scherzer

kanekane Senior Member
edited June 2015 in Sports Betting
He pitched a no hitter, but he had a perfect game going with two out in the ninth. Jose Tabata was up and the count was 2-2 I believe, Scherzer comes inside and Tabata gets hit in the elbow, but on replay, you can clearly see Tabata lower his elbow to intentionally get hit, he was wearing one of those guards, so he didn't mind taking one of his elbow. It's a shame, if an umpire would have seen what Tabata did, he wouldn't have been awarded first base IMO. I'm curious if anyone else saw that, and what you think. I know the rule states that a batter must make an attempt to get out of the way, which is hard for an umpire to determine, but it was so obvious that Tabata lowered his elbow to intentionally get hit, I wonder if there will be any controversy over this.

Comments

• bumpobumpo Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Didn't see it but I was at his last start vs. MKE. The only hit was a broken bat single off the glove of Rendon in the 7th. Didn't go 3 balls to a hitter until the 8th. 16Ks. Noooobody hit the ball ever remotely hard. The most dominant pitching performance I have ever seen. Now he follows is up with a near perfect no-no?? Break up Max Scherzer.
  • spiderman77spiderman77 Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    kane wrote: »
    He pitched a no hitter, but he had a perfect game going with two out in the ninth. Jose Tabata was up and the count was 2-2 I believe, Scherzer comes inside and Tabata gets hit in the elbow, but on replay, you can clearly see Tabata lower his elbow to intentionally get hit, he was wearing one of those guards, so he didn't mind taking one of his elbow. It's a shame, if an umpire would have seen what Tabata did, he wouldn't have been awarded first base IMO. I'm curious if anyone else saw that, and what you think. I know the rule states that a batter must make an attempt to get out of the way, which is hard for an umpire to determine, but it was so obvious that Tabata lowered his elbow to intentionally get hit, I wonder if there will be any controversy over this.

Totally disagree. Didn't look to me like there was any intent to get hit. He started his swing and it looked like the elbow dropped as part of the natural motion of pulling back the swing. He didn't appear to be all that thrilled about breaking up the perfect game in that way. He even waited for the umpire to signal the base rather than selling it.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    bumpo wrote: »
    Didn't see it but I was at his last start vs. MKE. The only hit was a broken bat single off the glove of Rendon in the 7th. Didn't go 3 balls to a hitter until the 8th. 16Ks. Noooobody hit the ball ever remotely hard. The most dominant pitching performance I have ever seen. Now he follows is up with a near perfect no-no?? Break up Max Scherzer.

I saw the box score of his start that you're talking about and thought to myself, how can he top that, then today, he tops it. If I'm Gio Gonzalez, I'm throwing a first pitch fastball at Tabata's ribs for pulling that bullshit. Maybe I'm wrong, and there isn't any controversy, but Tabata intentionally got hit, down 6-0 with two out in the ninth to ruin a perfect game, had the score been closer, I probably wouldn't have a problem, but 6-0, you're gonna lose anyway, don't ruin a perfect game by lowering your elbow and taking one off the guard, just my humble opinion.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Totally disagree. Didn't look to me like there was any intent to get hit. He started his swing and it looked like the elbow dropped as part of the natural motion of pulling back the swing. He didn't appear to be all that thrilled about breaking up the perfect game in that way. He even waited for the umpire to signal the base rather than selling it.

To me it looked like he intentionally lowered his elbow, and it doesn't matter what he says, I'm sure he'll be asked about it and obviously there's no way he would ever admit to what he did, but I guess only he knows for sure if he got hit on purpose, I'm not saying I'm 100% right regarding this, and maybe I'm being a little emotional, but looking at the replay a few times, I really think he lowered the elbow on purpose. I don't have a problem if you disagree.
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    His job is to try to get on base. I don't know why he should be expected to not try his best to do so.
  • spiderman77spiderman77 Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    kane wrote: »
    I guess only he knows for sure if he got hit on purpose.

That we can agree on. Very much like Kelly Olynyk being the only one who knows if there was any malice in the play where he pulled K Love's shoulder out of its socket.
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited June 2015
    Every pitcher knows what can happen if you leave one inside. You get ahead of me and come in too far, if I can wear it, I will. You just bailed me out. Max missed his spot by 4 feet although it looked like it backed up. Not the time you want that to happen but you can't really control it if it backs up on you. If that happened in the first inning, no one would care. If Tabata says he did it on purpose, I say good job and so will all his teammates.
  • KashmirKashmir Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Who cares?
  • kcburghkcburgh Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Thanks for trying to get the discussion going..this place has been a ghost town. Not a thread or post on the U.S Open.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    StevieY wrote: »
    Every pitcher knows what can happen if you leave one inside. You get ahead of me and come in too far, if I can wear it, I will. You just bailed me out. Max missed his spot by 4 feet although it looked like it backed up. Not the time you want that to happen but you can't really control it if it backs up on you. If that happened in the first inning, no one would care. If Tabata says he did it on purpose, I say good job and so will all his teammates.

Of course his teammates would say good job, they don't want to be on the other side of a perfect game. After watching the replay a few more times, I'm convinced he dropped his elbow on purpose, and if the game was close, I could live with it, but they were going to lose anyway, if you're going to break up a perfect game, then do it the right way, get on base fairly, not because you intentionally got hit. And if Tabata said he did it on purpose, which I would be shocked if he admiited it, then if I'm Gio Gonzalez, I'm doing what I feel I have to tomorrow. I can understand why you and Jeff have the position you do, and I'm not saying you're wrong, we just look at it in a different light, that's all, right now I'm sure there's a ton of people who see it my way, and I'm sure there's a ton who see it your way. For me, there is no right or wrong answer, just different ways of interpreting how that play should be viewed.
  • WinslowWinslow Junior Member
    edited June 2015
    What's wrong with a little anarchy? Good for Tabata. Seems he didn't do it on purpose but wish he did.
  • StackAttackStackAttack Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    So Kaner.....are you against bunting in the 9th with a 3 run lead to break up a no-no?
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    So Kaner.....are you against bunting in the 9th with a 3 run lead to break up a no-no?

No, a 3 run lead is still a game. I am against a player intentionally dropping his elbow, to get hit to break up a perfect game with 2 outs in a 6 run game, just seems a little bush league to me
  • StackAttackStackAttack Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    you know what Im asking.....ok....so its a 6 run lead and he bunts?

I honestly have not seen the highlights yet, been plugged into the Open all night. It may have been BUSH. but whats your thoughts on bunting to break up a no-no/perfecto? cause thats always an issue when it rarely happens.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    you know what Im asking.....ok....so its a 6 run lead and he bunts?

I honestly have not seen the highlights yet, been plugged into the Open all night. It may have been BUSH. but whats your thoughts on bunting to break up a no-no/perfecto? cause thats always an issue when it rarely happens.

You know what, I really don't have much of an opinion on bunting in that spot, the bunt is an offensive play, I look at bunting differently than I look at intentionally getting hit, if it was a close game, I wouldn't have a problem, but down 6, I look at it different
  • jammerjammer Senior Member
    edited June 2015

Didn't look like he was starting his swing or pulling it back. Not saying he got hit intentionally, kind of hard to make that decision when you have a 90mph fastball coming at you. I think it was just bad luck. Tabata hung in there and fouled off a lot of pitches. Scherzer came inside and it happen to hit his arm guard.
  • bumpobumpo Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    One of the great things about baseball is that there is no clock. There's no deficit a team can't come back from. Scherzer was very efficient in his pitch count but I've seen plenty of guys take a no-no deep and have the wheels come off late. Did Tabata do it intentionally? Looked like yes to me. I'd much rather have a guy on my team trying like hell to get on in this spot than a guy not running out a ground ball 'cause it's 6-0 late.
  • bluejakebluejake Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Kane, this is from a Burgh guy who lives and dies with the Pirates I totally agree with you. But how about which if his agent got him $210 over 7 years I'm sure that in his contract if he throws a perfect game worth x amount of $ or a no-no worth X $ amount, like he really needs it. So the big ?? do the Bucs bats come back today or does Gio complete the sweep against ground ball Chuck and Tabata is not a everyday player to get drilled today.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    bumpo wrote: »
    One of the great things about baseball is that there is no clock. There's no deficit a team can't come back from. Scherzer was very efficient in his pitch count but I've seen plenty of guys take a no-no deep and have the wheels come off late. Did Tabata do it intentionally? Looked like yes to me. I'd much rather have a guy on my team trying like hell to get on in this spot than a guy not running out a ground ball 'cause it's 6-0 late.

I agree, if I was a member of the Pirates, I wouldn't care how Tabata got on base, just as long as I wasn't part of the opposing pitchers perfect game, but since I don't play for the Pirates, speaking strictly as a fan, IMO it's a shitty way to break up a perfect game, by leaning into a pitch to intentionally get hit.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    bluejake wrote: »
    Kane, this is from a Burgh guy who lives and dies with the Pirates I totally agree with you. But how about which if his agent got him $210 over 7 years I'm sure that in his contract if he throws a perfect game worth x amount of $ or a no-no worth X $ amount, like he really needs it. So the big ?? do the Bucs bats come back today or does Gio complete the sweep against ground ball Chuck and Tabata is not a everyday player to get drilled today.

Jake, I'm not a big Gio guy, so I think the Bucs bats may come alive today, but that's only speculation on my part obviously, and I see where Tabata is playing today. Also, I believe you're an "old timer" so to speak, so maybe you've seen Bob Gibson pitch, he was way before my time, but I know enough about him to know if he was pitching today, Tabata would be very nervous about stepping into the box. Maybe I overreacted thinking Tabata should get hit, I'm sure he won't.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    jammer wrote: »
    Didn't look like he was starting his swing or pulling it back. Not saying he got hit intentionally, kind of hard to make that decision when you have a 90mph fastball coming at you. I think it was just bad luck. Tabata hung in there and fouled off a lot of pitches. Scherzer came inside and it happen to hit his arm guard.

When a ball is coming at a hitter, the natural instinct is to either move, or turn your back, something, some kind of movement to try and prevent the ball from hitting you, not only did Tabata not move, he stood there, dropped his elbow, and intentionally let the ball hit his elbow guard, it just doesn't sit well with me. The question I have is, had he not been wearing a guard, would he have been so quick to drop his elbow and take one off his flesh and bone? Knowing you're wearing a piece of armor makes it much easier to lean into the pitch. Also, like I posted before, I'm not saying my view of this is the correct one, just that it's my take on how the whole thing went down.