Betting Talk

Daivid Blatt

kanekane Senior Member
edited June 2016 in Sports Betting
What a joke this guy is, first he tries calling timeout at the end when he had none left, had a ref seen this, the resulting technical might have cost his team the game. Then, with 1.5 seconds left he draws up a play where Lebron is inbounding the ball. You have the best player in the game and you want him to make the inbounds pass, or you fucking kidding me? The guy needs to go back to coaching in Europe, he's clearly in over his head in the NBA

Comments

• MikeRASMikeRAS Senior Handicapper
    edited May 2015
    Wasn't his finest moment....
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    kane wrote: »
    What a joke this guy is, first he tries calling timeout at the end when he had none left, had a ref seen this, the resulting technical might have cost his team the game. Then, with 1.5 seconds left he draws up a play where Lebron is inbounding the ball. You have the best player in the game and you want him to make the inbounds pass, or you fucking kidding me? The guy needs to go back to coaching in Europe, he's clearly in over his head in the NBA

Is that you Amy Lawrence from CBS radio?
  • worm33worm33 Senior Member
    edited May 2015

What a joke that lebron threw him under the bus and took all the credit. He misses that shot nothing is said.
  • MikeRASMikeRAS Senior Handicapper
    edited May 2015
    Yeah that was a nice freeroll for him.
    edited May 2015
    The guy is a solid coach with credentials. He played the point under a great one in Pete Carill @Princeton. LBJ took it on his own to nail a low % shot. + Like Worm said.
  • lakemonsterlakemonster Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    If Cleveland doesn't win the title this year, Blatt will be gone. He's made too many blaring mistakes this year and its clear that he doesn't have the full support of LBJ or the rest of the team. In the end, if they don't win it, Blatt will be the scapegoat.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Ronbets wrote: »
    The guy is a solid coach with credentials. He played the point under a great one in Pete Carill @Princeton. LBJ took it on his own to nail a low % shot. + Like Worm said.

A solid coach with credentials where? Not in the NBA, the guy's a joke and like Lakemonster said, Lebron doesn't respect him
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    worm33 wrote: »
    What a joke that lebron threw him under the bus and took all the credit. He misses that shot nothing is said.

Actually Lebron didn't throw him under the bus, JR Smith was the one who said after the game that the original play was to have Lebron inbound the ball, when the media asked Lebron about it, he told the truth. Was Lebron supposed to lie in that spot and say the play was designed for him, then the reporters would have gone back to JR and the whole thing would have been a mess.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2015

With 1.5 seconds to play, it's pretty hard to come up with a higher percentage shot than the one he took, and the fact he was a point guard under Carill doesn't make him a good coach, he's in over his head
    edited May 2015
    Blatt, similar to Spoelstra is under heavy scrutiny early. The team started 5-7 and the impatient fans/media were calling for his ouster. How many glaring errors did he make to finish the remainder of the season 48-22?
    edited May 2015
    With 1.5 seconds to play, it's pretty hard to come up with a higher percentage shot than the one he took

Kidding right?
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Blatt, similar to Spoelstra is under heavy scrutiny early. The team started 5-7 and the impatient fans/media were calling for his ouster. How many glaring errors did he make to finish the remainder of the season 48-22?

Can't compare Spo with Blatt, Spoelstra was hand picked by Pat Riley to be his successor, when you have the endorsement of a legend like Riley, that carries some weight
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Kidding right?

What play would you have run in that spot?
    edited May 2015
    The original play that was designed in the huddle where everyone is on the same page. Well guarded freelance 20ft fall away jumpers from a bad angle prolly a 30% shot.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    The original play that was designed in the huddle where everyone is on the same page. Well guarded freelance 20ft fall away jumpers from a bad angle prolly a 30% shot.

You have the best player in the world and you design a play where he's throwing the inbounds pass, bahahahahahahaha. Would Jordan have thrown the inbounds pass in that spot, what about Kobe, would Larry Bird not have taken the last shot? Blatt is clueless, his players know it, Lebron knows it, in that situation you design a play to get your best player the best look he can get. Wittman put the ball in Pierce's hands at the end, Tibs put the ball in Rose's hand the previous game, you have the best player on the planet and you don't want him taking the last shot? That's fucking comical
    edited May 2015
    You're hallucinating Kane. By LBJ inbounding assures he won't be doubled. He can take the return pass and get a better shot.
    Yes, Spo was endorsed by Riley. He was dissed early by both Wade and LBJ. Riley set up Spoelstra, the former film boy, as his prop to become the Messiah again........similar to what he did to SVanGundy. This time the Messiah stayed upstairs.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    You're hallucinating Kane. By LBJ inbounding assures he won't be doubled. He can take the return pass and get a better shot.
    Yes, Spo was endorsed by Riley. He was dissed early by both Wade and LBJ. Riley set up Spoelstra, the former film boy, as his prop to become the Messiah again........similar to what he did to SVanGundy. This time the Messiah stayed upstairs.

Ron, with all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about. First off all, Spo was never dissed by Wade, in fact Wade endorsed the hiring of Spoelstra, it was Spo who helped Wade develop his game when he was young, Spo would work with Wade after practice to help him improve his game, Wade and Spo have always had a great relationship, you couldn't be more wrong. Second, when Riley appointed Spo as coach, there was never any intention on Riley's part to ever coach again, it was a completely different situation than what happened with SVG, after the Heat lost to Dallas in Lebron's first year here, there were a lot of people calling for Spo's head and Riley said over and over that Spo was his guy and that he would never coach again, he said repeatedly his coaching days were over and the thought of him coming in to coach the team and replacing Spo was never an option. And lastly, with only 1.5 seconds to play, there isn't enough time to inbounds the ball, then pass it back to the inbounder, the odds are you would never even get the shot off, it's too risky an attempt with that little time left. If for some reason Blatt wanted someone other than Lebron to take the last shot (which like I've pointed out is mind boggling) than why not have someone else inbounds the ball, you know the Bulls would be thinking the ball's going to Lebron, their whole defense would have been keying on him, then use him as a decoy, possibly freeing up someone else for a wide open shot, at least that would be a more viable option than having him take the ball out of bounds. I respect you Ron, but you're way off base here.
    edited May 2015
    Riley's ego is larger than you wanna give him credit for. Both Wade and LBJ made snide remarks about Spoelstra early. I'm not gonna look it up, but would bet on it. Like Spoelstra, give this guy Blatt a chance. His credentials are cut in Europe. Accepting an outsider in today's NBA doesn't fit well with these primadonna millionaires.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited May 2015

Sorry Ron maybe with 4/5 seconds yes but 1.5 you don't have time to get the ball back. You can't defend stupidity and lets not forget that he forgot he had no time outs left. He's gone win,lose or draw. LB will pick the next coach.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Riley's ego is larger than you wanna give him credit for. Both Wade and LBJ made snide remarks about Spoelstra early. I'm not gonna look it up, but would bet on it. Like Spoelstra, give this guy Blatt a chance. His credentials are cut in Europe. Accepting an outsider in today's NBA doesn't fit well with these primadonna millionaires.

I know Riley has a large ego, most stars do, I also know there was zero chance he was stepping in to replace Spo, I follow the Heat very closely and can guarantee you the thought of Riley replacing Spo with himself was never an option. Blatt's credentials are cut in Europe, this ain't Europe, it's the NBA where the level of play is slightly higher. Imagine if Belichik decided to retire and the Patriots replaced him with some hot shot coach from the CFL instead of a qualified guy from the NFL. It's no secret there was some head butting early on between Spo and LeBron, but that was ironed out quickly, as far as Wade goes, go find a story anywhere that has him making snide remarks about Spo, I don't think you can, because I don't think any exist. Blatt called for a timeout he didn't have at the end of a tied playoff game, that's inexcusable, I could understand a player doing it in the heat of the moment while play is still going on, a la Chris Webber, although that's something you very rarely see, but a coach standing on the sideline had to know he doesn't have any timeouts left, he has to know that, If a ref saw him, it could have cost his team the game, Blatt need to go back to coaching in the Israeli league and leave the NBA to guys who know what the fuck they're doing. If Blatt can get the Cavs to four straight finals and win two championships, then I'll come back four years from now and give him credit
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Hey waddaya know, an actual discussion taking place in here, now that's something you don't see very often
  • StJoes0610StJoes0610 Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    I know Riley has a large ego, most stars do, I also know there was zero chance he was stepping in to replace Spo, I follow the Heat very closely and can guarantee you the thought of Riley replacing Spo with himself was never an option. Blatt's credentials are cut in Europe, this ain't Europe, it's the NBA where the level of play is slightly higher. Imagine if Belichik decided to retire and the Patriots replaced him with some hot shot coach from the CFL instead of a qualified guy from the NFL. It's no secret there was some head butting early on between Spo and LeBron, but that was ironed out quickly, as far as Wade goes, go find a story anywhere that has him making snide remarks about Spo, I don't think you can, because I don't think any exist. Blatt called for a timeout he didn't have at the end of a tied playoff game, that's inexcusable, I could understand a player doing it in the heat of the moment while play is still going on, a la Chris Webber, although that's something you very rarely see, but a coach standing on the sideline had to know he doesn't have any timeouts left, he has to know that, If a ref saw him, it could have cost his team the game, Blatt need to go back to coaching in the Israeli league and leave the NBA to guys who know what the fuck they're doing. If Blatt can get the Cavs to four straight finals and win two championships, then I'll come back four years from now and give him credit

like, i dont know....marc trestman?? :laugh:

sounds like the same issue for both - cant handle the politics of the coaching position which is a very real problem whether people want to admit it or not.
  • winner_13winner_13 Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    I think Blatt is a superb coach. The front office and/or Blatt have been really sharp in getting key additions who are contributing immensely.
    The attitude of some of these "primadonna millionaires", contributes to keeping some of the best coaches in the world from wanting to coach in the NBA.
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Slow it down guys, there's too much to react to haha,

@kane:
    - I agree with Ron that David Blatt is a solid coach with credentials. His only (and biggest problem) is that he's coaching LeBron. Not because LeBron is the best player in the league, nor because he's a prima donna. The main reason is because LeBron is one of the smartest players around. Some NBA scribes have been surprised by the amount of detail (players on court, the plays run, the action, the shots, everything) he can provide in recalling some obscure game from 6 years back. Let alone the important games. It's been written that he has a photographic memory when it comes to plays, X's and O's. In other words, Blatt is simply not the smartest in the coaching room when they're reviewing film. I believe that that's where LeBron's power comes from.

@Ron
    - Been thinking about Blatt's options when running a play with 1.5 seconds left and I really can't come up with a good scenario for LeBron not to be on the court instead of inbounding the ball. Either as the shooter or the decoy, his value is too big to have him inbound the ball, no matter what the play.

In my opinion,
    Blatt with LeBron could work. They might have their struggles and clashes, but it could work. As far as I see it Blatt doesn't have too big of an ego (he hasn't shown anything as such so far) not to be able to work with LeBron. Remember that LeBron has been adapting the Spurs philosophy where he coasts through the first few months of the season before turning the knob in February/March. He needs somebody to run the team and win while he's 'resting'. With all the injuries the Cavs have, I can see him play an average of 42 minutes per game from here on out should they reach the Finals. He's going to be exhausted by June. Can't see him run the team and give a max effort every year till June. He needs someone to coach when he's not at the full 100%. Preferably somebody who doesn't mind being overruled.

But we'll see once the season ends, maybe I'm wrong about Blatt and he walks away on his own terms.
    edited May 2015

I recall Wade and Lebron making snide remarks about Spoelstra as well.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    winner_13 wrote: »
    I recall Wade and Lebron making snide remarks about Spoelstra as well.

Link?
    edited May 2015
    Kane,
    A quick google search revealed:
    After the heat's slow start.
    LeBron on Spoelstra in 2010: “This is who we have.”

He also bumps into him in the finals with Miami down 10 against the Mavs:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgf6fd88g8

This could be perceived differently but to me its clear that he did not think too highly of Spolestra, at least in that season.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Obi, Blatt has credentials coaching overseas, it's different than coaching in the NBA. Nick Saban had credentials coaching in college, when he got to the NFL, things didn't work out so well. And yes, I know there are examples of coaches coming from college to the pros and having success and every situation is different, so I can only judge him based on what I've seen so far, and what I've seen so far tells me he's in over his head, I'll say it again, there's no way you can forget you don't have any timeouts in that situation, it's inexcusable. And to draw up a last second play where Lebron is the inbounder is so laughable it's hard to believe, in fact when I first heard about it, I didn't believe it, I honestly thought it was a joke. His decision to take the ball out of Lebron's hands makes no sense on any level. If the Cavs don't win the title this year, I don't know if Blatt gets fired or not, but let's say they don't win it all and he does indeed get fired, do you think he gets another head coaching job? And I'm talking about in the NBA, not Europe, cause I sure don't
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    but to me its clear that he did not think too highly of Spolestra, at least in that season.

Indeed it took them till the second season to get along, actually it happened when they abandoned the LeBron iso's (much like they've been running this year in Cleveland) and started passing the ball around, trusting the smart players to exploit the openings created by quick and heavy ball/player movement.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Kane,
    A quick google search revealed:
    After the heat's slow start.
    LeBron on Spoelstra in 2010: “This is who we have.”

He also bumps into him in the finals with Miami down 10 against the Mavs:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgf6fd88g8

This could be perceived differently but to me its clear that he did not think too highly of Spolestra, at least in that season.

I've already said that Lebron and Spo butted heads early on, that game against Dallas was during the first couple of weeks of their first season together, and I'm sure that quote was also from very early in their first season, and considering they were together for four years, if that's the only negative thing you could dig up, I'm fine standing by my statement