Betting Talk

DFS site popularity rankings

AdminAdmin Administrator
edited May 2015 in Sports Betting
Writer David Gonos ranked the 21 different DFS sites, based on site traffic & apparent popularity, and provided small blurbs about each of the site's features and the reason for their current standing.

Worth checking out. Article is here.

Comments

• ParkerMParkerM Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Not surprised to see Victiv in that #3 slot already. Very impressive for only coming online last September. I'm actually writing a post about their unique scoring right now.

A bit surprised to see Mondogoal in the top 10 already. We just recently added them to our BiggerBonus lineup and I have to say, as someone who doesn't follow soccer and don't know as much about it, I was really impressed with how they are setup and it actually made me want to play DFS soccer. I guess real soccer fans are loving it, too.

Anyway, good article. I see Ballr just outside at #11. Will be interesting to revisit this list in a few months and see how much higher they might climb. I've been pretty impressed with their setup, they just need the funding to get to the next level.
  • DFSkingDFSking Junior Member
    edited April 2015
    am I wrong for thinking that Draft Day has been poorly managed? feels like they've been around from the beginning and just got swallowed up as DK and DF became far and away the major players.

not saying draftday has been a disaster, but feels like they should be better positioned.
  • nuddernudder Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    Poorly managed might be a little strong. It seems that DraftDay has maintained relevance from the beginning and continues to be firmly in the top 5 of all DFS sites, which isn't a bad place to be. I have no idea what their financials are/were like, but I doubt they would have been able to compete with FanDuel or DraftKings in terms of spending. FD seems like it has bottomless pockets and DK had acquired sites before joining up with ESPN.

I don't think it would have mattered what DraftDay did, they still would have been no better than the 3rd biggest site. They were acquired last year by MGT and it feels like they could be well positioned as a takeover candidate in the near future as the Yahoo and PokerStars sites get off the ground.
    edited April 2015
    on the same day the gonos article ran, legal sports report wrote a post asking "who's #3?"

here's how the gonos article rated 3 through 5...

#3 victiv
    #4 fantasyaces
    #5 draftday

LSR seemed to be in favor of fantasyaces.
    Recently, FantasyAces made its intention to claim the No. 3 spot in the DFS space known. FantasyAces announced a new partnership with DFS media company Fantasy Alarm, but it was a number used in that press release that signaled its plans on separating itself from the pack:

FantasyAces expects to pay out more than $30,000,000 in prize money to contest winners in 2015, and the site has experienced explosive growth in key performance indicators such as customer acquisition, conversion rates, lifetime value per depositor and player retention.
  • AdminAdmin Administrator
    edited April 2015
    Just to make it clear, the Gonos article was rating the sites by popularity, while it appears that the site you linked above is making a projection based off current status and future plans.
    edited April 2015
    DFSking wrote: »
    LSR seemed to be in favor of fantasyaces.

Just to note - the LSR article is only part two in his series. You can read part one here. The writer is going to be rolling out a couple more articles in the series over the course of the week. This one made the case for FantasyAces, I would expect the next couple to be the same style, making cases for Victiv and DraftDay since those were the three he highlighted in part one.

I found these to be an enjoyable read so far, looking forward to the rest.
    edited April 2015
    ParkerM wrote: »
    This one made the case for FantasyAces, I would expect the next couple to be the same style, making cases for Victiv and DraftDay since those were the three he highlighted in part one.

Dustin Gouker, the writer of the above series at LSP, confirmed with me this evening the next two articles in the series will be on Victiv and DraftDay. Really looking forward to what he has to say about both.
    edited April 2015
    funny thing is, it's kind of pointless to ask who #3 is when yahoo instantly will become that as soon as it launches its new site.
    edited April 2015
    DFSking wrote: »
    funny thing is, it's kind of pointless to ask who #3 is when yahoo instantly will become that as soon as it launches its new site.

I'm hearing Yahoo might be starting off with a very simple approach and general format to make it easier for their existing season-long user base to transition.
  • nuddernudder Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    Is this stuff you're reading, or do you have inside sources? :thumbup2:
    edited April 2015
    Mostly opinions from a couple writers in the field whose opinions I respect.

I'm sure we'll see an interview with a Yahoo rep in the near future to give us an outlook of what to expect. Personally, I hope they offer something a little more than just basic "get acquainted" contests.
    edited May 2015
    Here's part 3 of Dustin Gouker's series on which daily fantasy site is staking a claim for the #3 spot in the market. Another enjoyable read.

Who Is No. 3 in DFS?: Victiv Boasts Big Guarantees, Quick Growth
  • Walt's WharfWalt's Wharf Member
    edited May 2015
    Wow ...
    If you look at the most obvious metric to the average observer in daily fantasy sports — guaranteed prize pools — it might seem pretty cut and dried who is No. 3 in DFS. Victiv is the site offering the biggest prize pools day in and day out — on a site not named FanDuel or DraftKings.

Considering ...
    Victiv, it’s hard to believe, has only been around about nine months.

It's pretty interesting to see the growth of some of these sites and how quickly they were able to build something simply through strategic efforts. I would say that Victiv is a pretty awful name for a DFS site. I find myself forgetting how to spell it. I've also seen virtually no advertising for the site.

If Victiv can become the #3 site in less than a year, then there's plenty of opportunity left in this market and you'd think there will be plenty more sites on the way.