Betting Talk

Betfair?

paddyboy111paddyboy111 Senior Member
edited January 2015 in Sports Betting
I am a little bit of a newb/hobbyist at online betting rather than serious. I have an account with sportsbetting.ag , not sure how reliable that is but I dont let it get much over $3K before I trim it back to $500. And sometimes I bust it out and reload $500. I usually bet on somewhat more obscure stuff where I can mine hard to find data and build a statistical model. Mainly this is about the kick of outperforming rather than getting compensated for the time spent on building models. But if I want to be skilled about it I need to increase stakes, get more efficient pricing, and better secure the bankroll with a reputable site, non-taxable, etc.

I live in a jurisdiction where it is difficult to gamble on line, my wife's family lives in the EU and I was thinking of bringing $10K with me on the next trip and having them fund accounts accessible by proxy. If I did this I would probably be betting $300-500 per game, maybe 100 bets a year. In 2015 this would be (Women's Soccer World Cup, IRB World Cup, Hockey World Championship) and perhaps following some other folks on this board. I see Pinnacle being mentioned alot here, so I could start with that. I dont see much talk of Betfair, that seems like it should be appealing and uncorrelated to the fixed-line books. How would you play it if you were in my shoes - how much would you fund in each account?

Patrick

Comments

• duritodurito Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    Betfairs comissions structure depends on your volume (before their bs winners tax). At that level you will almost certainly find better prices on those events at Pinnacle (Actually you will pretty much always find better lines at Pinny/SBO unless it's a few hours before the game and the value is all gone). No pinny customers currently allowed from the UK, France I think and maybe a couple other so check on that.

You'll want to fund neteller and with that you can easily transfer between books when you want so it's not a huge deal where you start. Pinny is now however requiring 5x rollover on deposits.
  • paddyboy111paddyboy111 Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    Thanks durito, my family is in one of the allowed Pinnacle countries so that should work and I'll take your advice on Neteller

I get what you're saying about betfair, but I'm still attracted to it because the markets open earlier. For example I like to find prop bets and I think monitoring the movement of the betfair prop market might have advantages over Pinnacle. I'm sure more serious bankroll managers probably avoid props even if EV.