Betting Talk

Worth a look

ebemissebemiss Senior Member
edited April 2014 in Sports Betting
I think there may be some value on today's first NCAA Hockey Frozen Four game with Union vs BC. I'm familiar with Union and I've followed their program, along with RPI, for a long time. 2 years ago they were in this same spot and were over matched. This year they are much more prepared for the spotlight and are athletic as heck.

They beat BC last year in quarter finals so I don't think they will be overwhelmed at all by playing them again. Also they haven't been beaten since their coach came back from a 4 game suspension for going after another coach (RPI) after the game. They are playing really well. 14-0-1 last 15.

I thought the game would open a pick. I'm seeing -150/+130 right now. I think there's some value with Union at +130. I don't know the NCAA hockey market. I imagine money will come in on BC the bigger name school. I played it, for a unit, at +130. I'll hit it again if goes to +140/150 with BC money. Good luck if you try it.

Comments

• JMU_DegenerateJMU_Degenerate Senior Member
    edited April 2014
    According to Massey:

UNION #1 Ranked / #2 Offense / #2 Defense (Union 14-0-1 in last 15) (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=8176&s=203288)

BC #3 Ranked / #1 Offense / #15 Defense (BC 3-3-1 in last 7) (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=783&s=203288)
  • ebemissebemiss Senior Member
    edited April 2014
    I'm not sure which books, if any, may have it but if you can get over 2.5 goals for Union I like that play as well. 5 dimes has it at +115 over 2.5 goals.

Only 6 out of 40 games have they scored less than 3 goals. Only 1 in the last 15. Only game they didn't they scored 2.
  • namathfannamathfan Senior Member
    edited April 2014
    Great call, thanks for sharing
  • RightAngleRightAngle Admin
    edited April 2014
    Nice one.
    edited April 2014
    Everything looks priced in now but any thoughts on tonight's final?

http://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?s0=203288&t0=Union+NY&h=0&s1=203288&t1=University+of+Minnesota

Massey giving the edge by about 1 goal to UNION. Says UNION wins 55% of time but clearly his math supports a push as a possible outcome since MInny only at 33% to in.... since push is not an option UNION's real odds are somewhere >55%.
  • ebemissebemiss Senior Member
    edited April 2014
    No play for me. I thought Union would be a dog. I don't think they should be the favorite. IMO Minnesota > BC. +130 the other day vs BC. Bet down to -110/125 now vs Minnesota. Value is gone on Union.

Minnesota is big and are a better defensive team than BC. Union will have to use their speed to offset the size advantage for the Gophers. I lean towards the under as both goaltenders are great and I'd be surprised if Union was able to control the pace like they did on Friday. However I'd probably need 6 to play it under and it's at 5.5 and never going to get there. I'm going to pass on the total.

Looks like an even game to me. Going root for Union. Not enough value on either side for me to jump in. Good luck if you do anything.
    edited April 2014
    Going to cheer for David (Union and their 0 scholarship players) vs Goliath (Powerhouse Minny). Probably will pass on $$ action however.