Betting Talk

OT: Mary Jane, the next bubble?

homerplayerhomerplayer Senior Member
edited March 2014 in Sports Betting
would never blow smoke up your ass...now that bad pun is out of way.

would never suggest this thing will reach the housing level, or the $150/barrel oil spike or even the dot com craze (fuck that dutch tulip example, sick of that), but i think there is potential here for some home runs. spread a small amount around on 8 stocks so far. this shit is going to be legal soon, colorado and washington excluded from the soon part. the farm bill makes it legal to grow hemp in a round about kind of way, and it has to have .3% or less of THC. still illegal to grow, but also illegal for feds to bust culitvators in 10 states where it is legal. step in the right direction.

definitely think it will pick up steam and other states will follow with making it legal for rec use. if i could be so bold to draw the comparison to gay marriage. check polls on american's feelings on it 10 years ago compared to today. just need that one tipping point, malcolm gladwell style for this thing to really take off and investors love a good story. cheese and rice, am i the only one that remembers siri going for $60/share while losing billions every year? terrible and ill fitting i know, but you get the idea. not saying you are going to be a millionaire by throwing some cash down on wacky tabacky, but could be some huge gains to be had. of course i have been wrong many, many times before. they could all tank and i lose a grand or so...hey, i said it was only a little bit of money but when you can get erzb for .01 or phot for .30, that grand+ goes a looooong way. i looked at like backing some steep dogs hoping a couple come home. i mean, c'mon man, most of these shit birds are OTC, the shady side of the markets.

Disclaimer: you are fucking crazy if you invest heavily in this industry. you should only be putting in money that you can A.) afford to lose and B.) don't mind have tied up for 5-7 years. might be longer than that.

thoughts on pot?

Comments

• underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    i mean, c'mon man, most of these shit birds are OTC, the shady side of the markets.

Exactly, Shady side just like the NFL. Bulletin Board stocks... 90% are designed from the start to rape the investor.
    But hey everyone dreams to have the next AAPL in their portfolio, so you take that 10% chance with Money you won't need down the Road and you just might hit a lotto.
  • cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    Its only a matter of time till its legalized everywhere. Slowly but surely states will continue to legalize in a medicinal fashion. (Up to 20+ states already) 2-4 years after that It becomes legal for anyone to buy. Just like Colorado/Washington now. More and more states are hurting financially and seeing that the feds are not taking legal action against those in the business in CO/Wash will only help when it comes to getting it legalized. I also believe I heard that a new bill passed last week that enables those in the business to have relationship to banks. Prior to this bill passing all business was handled with cash, which put a limit on who could grow/sell/cultivate/buy.

I dont know the first thing about the stock market, but I can assure you it will be legal nation wide in the next 5-10 years. We all know how much the federal/state governments love their Taxes!

Pro Pot and lifelong smoker myself.
  • homerplayerhomerplayer Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    underwraps wrote: »
    Exactly, Shady side just like the NFL. Bulletin Board stocks... 90% are designed from the start to rape the investor.
    But hey everyone dreams to have the next AAPL in their portfolio, so you take that 10% chance with Money you won't need down the Road and you just might hit a lotto.

not looking for the next AAPL here, just to cash in on the hysteria that will possibly ensue. i'm sure a few of these stocks might not only have a business plan but strong fundamentals as well. the other 90%, which sounds like an accurate number by you, should go nowhere. however, history tells us people do not always invest rationally for every amazon there was 1,000 pet dot coms or whatever they were named, flawed business models, money pits, p/e's higher than my IQ (which isn't saying much, but even 75 is too high!!!!)

and i think we may have hit our tipping point. apparently cramer, regardless of what we think of him, is going to start tracking some pot stocks and researching them. checked his main street or whatever site and articles out the butt. moron or not, he has millions of folks that love listening to the guy.

but if i could ask Wraps, if you have knowledge in this area, Feb 7 on of these stocks fspm or phot, don't remember which has some shareholder vote or something to raise the authorized shares from 1 billion to 3 billion. terms might be wrong on my part. but that is some major dilution. so what is better, yes or no vote?
    edited February 2014
    but if i could ask Wraps, if you have knowledge in this area, Feb 7 on of these stocks fspm or phot, don't remember which has some shareholder vote or something to raise the authorized shares from 1 billion to 3 billion. terms might be wrong on my part. but that is some major dilution. so what is better, yes or no vote?

It's PHOT they ran a pump then decided to let the news out. Vote is this Friday. I would run for the hills if I owned this one.
    No matter which way they vote it won't pan out for them, but most likely the vote will be yes and the insiders will buy more time to steal from the shareholders. I've seen these scams too many times and they always play out the same in the end. Some are short cons and some are long cons depending
    how far they can stretch their PR's See Homer the best thing to do here is get a group of 50 stocks in this field write each symbol on paper, fold them up
    and pick 5 out of a hat. It's a lotto nothing more.
    I don't trade to many stocks. I trade SnP minis, options, and once in a while the Doll/Yen cross when I get a heads up on the Japanese Banks about to intervene so I try to front run their move.
  • buythehookbuythehook Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    I will give you my opionon if it means anything and I did buy a marijuanna company last year and then again in this past December. ( CBIS). It's a penny stock, which I bought for .06 cents and it is doing pretty well. Closed at .29 cents today. I posted it in the stock market thread last month.

I bought the stock because it is so cheap and the research I have done on company seems very legitimate and promising.

I have family in the medical field and there are some major benefits to marijuanna. I also cant stand most traditional doctors, most of them are just handing out prescriptions . I also believe that other states are going to follow Washington and Colorado. So it's just common sense that this area will grow and prosper, plus the states will all have their hand in the cookie jar for taxes and revenue.

Good luck
    edited February 2014
    Thanks guys. Hook, got CBIS at .12 earlier this year. Slow on the draw I am. Late to the game cause I had zero interest. CNN on all day at work and the saw the following on Jan 2 or 3:
    Pot Sales Soar on High Demand.
    1st reaction, no fucking shit. High demand for legal pot, who saw that coming?
    2nd thought, could be the bubble I've been waiting for. Missed dot com, missed oil, missed housing. At this point just take one Fund to invest/create a basket/index that will legitimacy and we will be off and running. Most will follow the bubble pattern. Huge run up based in fantasy on good stories and potential instead of realistic P/L expectations and then, pop.
    Think the true opportunity lies with the companies that provide ancillary services like land leasers or growing products. If it becomes legal in more states (will happen) who the hell isn't going the hydro route?
    Seed value is the next frontier. The legal stuff will be seed free. True government fashion it will legal to buy, possess and smoke, but illegal to own/sale seeds.
  • TheRebTheReb Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    My take on those Homer is that once any real/serious $$$ are to be made, Big Tobacco will step in and squash most of the players...any decent ones with niches MAY get bought out but there are lots of broken dreams and pockets for investors that speculated in buy outs....funny my wife just told me yesterday that CVS has stopped selling cigs. as it was contrary to their philosophy of better health. So going back to Big Tobacco, they have the big clout on the hill and you can be sure that anything that gets close to national approval or a large amount of states, they will be right in the thick of it IMO. I would still invest in them as they are already paying decent dividends and any whisper of them getting into the arena will get their share prices real appreciation.
  • SnakeheadSnakehead Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    There's an idea. Invest in the 1st company to sell marijuana pre-rolled, by the pack or carton. Maybe have it replace tobacco sales altogether. LOL (Is marijuana carcinogenic?)
  • babaorileybabaoriley Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    If not investing in a handful and hoping for one to turn out, Terratech (TRTC) is the only one I'd invest in right now, unless the Cramer hype ends up pushing the entire industry and then another square play is MJNA (despite the fact that they've assured investors that they will not profit off recreational pot) simply because of the great ticker name and the "HEY, it's got Medical Marijuana right in its NAME!!!" factor. MJNA is more likely to go down to .05 than up to $1 but there's PLENTY of pumping going on on various message boards and people are JUST naive enough to go after MJNA because of the name. My 2 cents.
    edited February 2014
    Thanks all for the input. Real solid post Reb. Was reading about Washington going legal late spring. Your post fits right in with that atmosphere. Open to anyone that has been living there for 3 months and applies for a license. I can certainly envision big tobacco standing back for 2-3 years while the industry takes hold and some winners figure out the best business model to turn a profit. Then they swope in and take everything over.
    The fundamentals on some of these companies are just atrocious. But bubbles aren't built on rationality. All I need now is a pic of Obama blazing up while on a ski trip to Aspen.
    edited February 2014
    I've seen these scams too many times and they always play out the same in the end. Some are short cons and some are long cons depending how far they can stretch their PR's

you were right on here Wraps, this whole thing makes absolutely zero sense!! CANV hit $80 today. they are bleeding money, file little to no reports, are led by an ex-con and every piece of 'news' on their quote summary page is a PR release...from CANV!!! they have a very limited share supply which helps artificially inflate the price, but still, c'mon. if ever there were a scam being run on the investing public. its almost like you have to invest bizzaro style and pick the pot stocks with the worst fundamentals.

on a more cheery note, ERBB hit .04 today.
  • duritodurito Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    I wouldn't invest in anything that is still illegal under federal law. Just because this administration seems be taking a wait and see approach doesn't mean that a future one won't just shut the whole thing down overnight.
    edited February 2014
    D-

The only flaw in your logic is the assumption that there will be a different administration in 3 years. FDR redux. And the guy has shown zero respect to the constitution to this point, so how far fetched is it?

But you do make a good point, I failed to think that far ahead.
    edited February 2014
    I respect everyone's opionon on this topic. I'm not talking about investing serious money into these stocks, but I have a " day dream stock account" that I have
    and sometimes I do well, someone's I get smoked ( sponge tech)... Lolll

I bought 2 penny stocks
    CBIS at six and 12 cents
    XTRM at 3 cents

I was just thinking logically here, there are very cheap and I believe with all the marijuanna hype, it will only go up. I have not and will never recommend these to my clients and my firm will not allow it anyway. If I do well, it is just more money to my bank roll... If not, it won't break me.

Good luck
  • lakemonsterlakemonster Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    D-

The only flaw in your logic is the assumption that there will be a different administration in 3 years. FDR redux. And the guy has shown zero respect to the constitution to this point, so how far fetched is it?

But you do make a good point, I failed to think that far ahead.

Let me get this straight -
    Are you saying that you think Obama might be in office for a 3rd term?

Come on bro. You need to turn off Fox News...
    edited February 2014
    Fox News? Sorry Lake, big screen at work has cnn on all day, except now, Olympics. And I have been informed the Madness will be on as well. Also married with a kid and taking some graduate accounting courses. Zero time to watch Fox News. That doesn't affect my knowledge of history though and while Washington never said he favored 2 term limits, Jefferson did. Only a few guys tried for a 3rd term before FDR succeeded. So the amendment to the constitution, which is a living and editable document, limiting terms is only 60 something years old. If Clinton's numbers tank, I fully expect certain commentators to 'float' the idea. Although obama's numbers are tanking as well so would prob lose the election anyway.

Hook - thanks for the input. And agreed, this should be treated like sports betting. Don't bet what you can't afford to lose and most certainly do not risk more than 1.5% of your BR on any of these dogs. The majority suck. But CANV is shit and is up $80 in 5 weeks. Whoever is running that scam is real good at doing it. Might end up incarcirated, but for now, making millions. Think Wraps drew the comparison to lottery tix, pretty much what it is. Although my 8 stocks are up a combined 50% so far. I expect a fuckton of volatility when it goes legal in Washington state in a few months.
  • duritodurito Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    lol constitution, but I'm not here for a political discussion. The point is it doesn't matter who the President is, unless congress changes the law it is illegal. Despite what some other gambling forum posters believe, the President does not direct all Federal investigations and prosecutors have quite a bit of leeway. There was a large Federal gov't raid here (Denver) on a Medical dispensary in November, all the usual accusations: money laundering, terrorism, etc. No charges still but the business is destroyed as were a few others.

These places still operate on the fringe of the law, they can't even open bank accounts in their own name, and they get em shut down anyway (this I can surely believe -- they close my bank accounts because i deposit 2k from Canada --imagine 30k a day of cash). There were several operators in California raided and charged. You never know what can happen, a child could eat a pot brownie, die, blow up the cable news cycle and they could decide to act.
    edited February 2014
    durito wrote: »
    lol constitution, but I'm not here for a political discussion.

Completely agree!!

A huge step will be Feds legitimizing the banking side of the industry. Sorry, didn't have time to read the rest of your post as of yet, but wanted to second keeping this thread apolitical as possible.

Bubbles are never born from rational, thoughtful investors. It is greedy little bastards looking to get rich over night.
  • lakemonsterlakemonster Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    Fox News? Sorry Lake, big screen at work has cnn on all day, except now, Olympics. And I have been informed the Madness will be on as well. Also married with a kid and taking some graduate accounting courses. Zero time to watch Fox News. That doesn't affect my knowledge of history though and while Washington never said he favored 2 term limits, Jefferson did. Only a few guys tried for a 3rd term before FDR succeeded. So the amendment to the constitution, which is a living and editable document, limiting terms is only 60 something years old. If Clinton's numbers tank, I fully expect certain commentators to 'float' the idea. Although obama's numbers are tanking as well so would prob lose the election anyway.

I'm not quite sure what the TV at your place of employment has to do with this discussion, or the fact that you are married with a kid & taking some grad courses. Good for you buddy...

But, there is ZERO chance Obama runs for a third term though. The idea that Obama would amend the constititoon in order to run for a 3rd term is right wing fear mongering. Its seriously delusional...

That being said, I agree with you that a new conservative administration in 3 yrs could derail the marijuana movement. The current demographics of the voting public would suggest that a conservative/right wing/tea bag-type would have a very difficult time winning in 2016 though...
    edited February 2014
    Homer, just looked at CANV and i almost fell out of my chair. 1.2B market cap LOL. Small float like you said. This one will end in tears and become an instant ZERO over night one day. Stay clear of this flying Pig.
    edited February 2014
    Homer, just looked at CANV and i almost fell out of my chair. 1.2B market cap LOL. Small float like you said. This one will end in tears and become an instant ZERO over night one day. Stay clear of this flying Pig.

Are you on the floor now? Well that day is not today. Holy fuck. $120? Based on what? Can one flyer be precursor to an industry bubble? This piece of shit up over 1,000% in 5 weeks is the height of stupidity. Not like they are TSLA or anything. Couldn't resist pointing out the forward P/E of 78 on TSLA.
    edited February 2014
    But, there is ZERO chance Obama runs for a third term though. Obama would amend the constititoon in order to run for a 3rd term is right wing fear mongering....

My bad, gotta a little nuts there for a second I guess. Suggesting a 3rd term is as insane as thinking Obama administration would place government monitors into newsrooms at TV and radio stations. Maybe Russia or Cuba would pull that shit, but that would NEVER happen here in the gold ole U S of A.
    edited February 2014
    Fuck yes!! CANN popped today. I got in at $13 a month ago. Just touched $34. Up 70% today.
  • KashmirKashmir Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    My bad, gotta a little nuts there for a second I guess.

Just a second?
    edited February 2014
    Fuck yes!! CANN popped today. I got in at $13 a month ago. Just touched $34. Up 70% today.

Nice hit on a OTC BB stock.
    edited February 2014

Congrats on a nice jump... Good luck on what ever u plan on doing...

Sell.. Hold... Etc
    edited March 2014
    Fuckshitassbitchcunt
    Shoobydedoowa

Such a loser. Sold CANN at $29. 5 days later this piece of shit hit $64. Tell me I'm not on the right track with this pot bubble shit. And while I am physically ill right now, it confirms my suspicion that greed and stupidity will rule the day where Mary Jane related stocks are concerned. Up 400% in 5 weeks? Stupid. The kicker, and part of why I sold?

CNBC fucked up. They were talking about CANV but put CANN ticker and chart on the screen. That caused the 65% one day increase. Noodle that. This whole run up on CANN was based on a fucking typo!!!! Since then the lemmings are queuing up with cash in hand looking to strike it rich overnight.
  • BigKahunaBigKahuna Banned
    edited March 2014
    Relating this back to sports.

I listen to lots of games on XM and I really like the Nuggets play by play. He says some funny stuff like Jackson not related to Michael over to Collins not related to Tom. ha ha

Anyway at 4:20 left in each quarter he screams out it's 420 Colorado ! So basically promoting smoking.

Go figure you can puff but you can't take the over in the Nuggets game.
    edited March 2014
    BigKahuna wrote: »
    Relating this back to sports.

I listen to lots of games on XM and I really like the Nuggets play by play. He says some funny stuff like Jackson not related to Michael over to Collins not related to Tom. ha ha

Anyway at 4:20 left in each quarter he screams out it's 420 Colorado ! So basically promoting smoking.

Go figure you can puff but you can't take the over in the Nuggets game.

classic. thanks BK, that made me laugh. also one of my favorite movies, your name, both spacey and devito were outstanding.

government logic again (oxymoron?). i always told people pot will never be legal here because the government would never make something legal you could grow in your own backyard. so i am reading up on pot stocks and canada is moving toward legalization, but will outlaw growing it!!! gotta love oppression.