Betting Talk

How Many Other NFL Teams One Play From Disaster

cabster13cabster13 Senior Member
edited November 2013 in Sports Betting
The quality of any NFL front office can be measured by how prepared they are if their starting QB goes down. Prime example tonight when Rogers goes down on the first series and the best GB can muster is Seneca Wallace. While there are several teams not exactly loaded at the backup spot, there are also others that have at least a compotent backup. I see ten NFL teams that do not list a third QB on their depth charts but maybe only the Raiders are the only other team without a backup that has not thrown a pass since 2011. On the other hand I am not sure that McCown is not a better choice for the Bears going forward vs. bringing the oft injured Cutler. GB can only hope the injury is not a serious one or they can kiss the season goodbyeeeeeeeeeeee.

Irony is that Matt Flynn, who left GB for free agency 2-3 years ago is again available after making big bucks and never earning a starting spot. McCarthy was asked after the game about bringing Flynn in and he said he is focused on Wallace. Lots of that with Seneca Mike!

Comments

• StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited November 2013
    cabster13 wrote: »
    The quality of any NFL front office can be measured by how prepared they are if their starting QB goes down. Prime example tonight when Rogers goes down on the first series and the best GB can muster is Seneca Wallace. While there are several teams not exactly loaded at the backup spot, there are also others that have at least a compotent backup. I see ten NFL teams that do not list a third QB on their depth charts but maybe only the Raiders are the only other team without a backup that has not thrown a pass since 2011. On the other hand I am not sure that McCown is not a better choice for the Bears going forward vs. bringing the oft injured Cutler. GB can only hope the injury is not a serious one or they can kiss the season goodbyeeeeeeeeeeee.

Irony is that Matt Flynn, who left GB for free agency 2-3 years ago is again available after making big bucks and never earning a starting spot. McCarthy was asked after the game about bringing Flynn in and he said he is focused on Wallace. Lots of that with Seneca Mike!

It's not all on who is your back up QB. The biggest problem is teams baby their backup. Wallace is not a bad QB. Run 1st down, run 2nd down, throw 3rd and long, over and over. GB got so basic, you actually hurt your QB. Even the best QB's are not going to be great when they only get to throw on 3rd and long. 8 man front on early downs knowing with a back up QB, the only audible is going to be a quick throw. It tightens up the defensive formation. 3rd down you drop 7, not deep because GB didn't run any deep routes. You can't expect your QB to be successful doing that. A couple play fakes, send a receiver deep keeps the D honest. You aren't protecting your backup by becoming passive in your playcalling. You are handcuffing him.

Couldn't believe they didn't challenge the catch by Quarless on 3rd and 11 that would have given them the 1st down and put them in at worst FG range. Coaches went braindead when Rodgers left.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    Boomer, half joking said, "maybe they should give Brett Favre a call"...or maybe he was serious?
  • cabster13cabster13 Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    Ronbets wrote: »
    Boomer, half joking said, "maybe they should give Brett Favre a call"...or maybe he was serious?

I saw a published report this morning that they have reached out to Farve. Crazy.