Betting Talk

Pacers/Heat

BigItaly42BigItaly42 Senior Member
edited June 2013 in Sports Betting
I think this could be one hell of a battle if Indiana plays the physical type of basketball that Chicago played against the Heat last round. I think that if Hibbert can assert himself down low and force Lebronand Wade into primarily jump shooters, then Indiana has a shot. But if Hibbert doesn't show up, I could see Miami running all over them. I think this is the toughest potential matchup for the Heat. Any thoughts on a small play for Indy in the series?

Comments

• rhinocerosrhinoceros Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    I don't think it's about matchups nearly as much as it is simply that Indiana is outclassed.
  • BeardedTacoBeardedTaco Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    nba does not want ind-spurs finals

no play
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    nba does not want ind-spurs finals

no play

That would be one helluva way for Stein to go out.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    BigItaly42 wrote: »
    I think this could be one hell of a battle if Indiana plays the physical type of basketball that Chicago played against the Heat last round. I think that if Hibbert can assert himself down low and force Lebronand Wade into primarily jump shooters, then Indiana has a shot. But if Hibbert doesn't show up, I could see Miami running all over them. I think this is the toughest potential matchup for the Heat. Any thoughts on a small play for Indy in the series?

The problem the Pacers will have is that Hibbert will be guarding Chris Bosh. on the offensive end, Bosh will be spending more time near the three point line than the paint. One of the things that has made the Heat so good is, by Bosh playing the five, he pulls other teams centers out of the lane. He's a very good jump shooter and by him stretching the floor, it opens up those driving lanes. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Also, I believe the Heat's record in their last 48 games is 45-3, think about that for a second. Personally I would need much higher odds if I were to put anything on Indy. I do agree that the Pacers represent the toughest challenge the Heat will face, but barring a major injury, I don't see how Indy beats them four times.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    kane wrote: »
    The problem the Pacers will have is that Hibbert will be guarding Chris Bosh. on the offensive end, Bosh will be spending more time near the three point line than the paint. One of the things that has made the Heat so good is, by Bosh playing the five, he pulls other teams centers out of the lane. He's a very good jump shooter and by him stretching the floor, it opens up those driving lanes. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Also, I believe the Heat's record in their last 48 games is 45-3, think about that for a second. Personally I would need much higher odds if I were to put anything on Indy. I do agree that the Pacers represent the toughest challenge the Heat will face, but barring a major injury, I don't see how Indy beats them four times.

Excellent Write-up and Agree 100% they may steal a game and it could even be tonight with the long layoff but the Heat are at a different level right now.
  • BigItaly42BigItaly42 Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    The Pacers are also 2-1 against the heat and have dominated them on the boards in each game. The one time the heat won, they shot over 50% for the game. Think about that for a second. But neither really matters, because the regular season has no bearing on the playoffs. The Spurs won 20 in a row before they lost 4 straight to OKC. All I'm saying is that either way, this will be a tough series. I do think miami wins, but i think it will be a tough series.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    BigItaly42 wrote: »
    The Pacers are also 2-1 against the heat and have dominated them on the boards in each game. The one time the heat won, they shot over 50% for the game. Think about that for a second. But neither really matters, because the regular season has no bearing on the playoffs. The Spurs won 20 in a row before they lost 4 straight to OKC. All I'm saying is that either way, this will be a tough series. I do think miami wins, but i think it will be a tough series.

Italy, you mention the Pacers record against the Heat as well as the rebounding edge during the regular season, then in the next sentence you say it doesn't matter in the playoffs, then why bring it up in the first place if it has no bearing now? Every team has a weakness, the Heat's is rebounding. They were dead last in the league in rebounding, so any team they play will always have a rebounding advantage over them, although they did rebound very well in the Bulls series. You mention the one time Miami won they shot over 50%. They led the league in FG %, so making more than half of their shots is something this team does routinely. I fully expect Miami to shoot a higher % than Indy during the series and I also expect them to get out rebounded. Also, last year's Spurs and last year's Thunder were much closer in ability than this year's Heat and Pacers. IMO, the only chance Indy has of making this a competitive series is to limit their turnovers and hope the Heat doesn't go crazy shooting three's.
    edited May 2013
    heat $$$ comin in boys
  • BigItaly42BigItaly42 Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Kane, you've made it very clear that you don't actually read anything I post. Right after those statements, I said "neither really matters, because regular season has no bearing on the playoffs". I was making a point that you obviously missed again. I'll go ahead and end the conversation here, because it's clear neither of us are going to agree.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Italy, it looks like you were right and I was wrong. Regardless of how this series ends, it's pretty clear the Pacers match up with the Heat better than I thought they would. I knew Miami would have some trouble with Hibbert, but I didn't think it would be this bad, and I was also thinking the Heat would get a majority of the calls and that clearly has not been the case as the refs in every game have blown their whistles non-stop both ways.
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Italy, it looks like you were right and I was wrong. Regardless of how this series ends, it's pretty clear the Pacers match up with the Heat better than I thought they would. I knew Miami would have some trouble with Hibbert, but I didn't think it would be this bad, and I was also thinking the Heat would get a majority of the calls and that clearly has not been the case as the refs in every game have blown their whistles non-stop both ways.

I agree Kane; calls were missed and made for both teams but that call on LeBron to foul him out and then the travel call on wade and of course battier hits the 3 was rough as well. give pacers credit though as they got all the needed off boards and made the heads up plays down the stretch. Miami has to feel they let this one slip but the pacers have to feel they fought hard and got the W... great series.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Given the circumstances, the sixth foul on Lebron was one of the worst calls I've seen in a long time (even the Pacers cheerleaders Reggie Miller and Steve Kerr thought it was a bad call) and you're right about the travel on Wade, just a terrible call. But Indy deserved to win, they were the better team tonight.
    edited May 2013

stern does not mind a long series won by miami

those calls you are referring to are more likely to go down over the next 3 games
    edited May 2013
    curious to see the line for game 5. Im sure it will come out again with the heat around -7 or 8 again...
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2013

those calls you are referring to are more likely to go down over the next 3 games

It's pretty obvious the league as well as every NBA fan who doesn't live in Indiana or Cleveland, wants to see Spurs-Heat. However, I don't think the league has instructed the refs to "make sure" it happens. You might have a point if Indy really gets screwed on some calls in game five, we'll see.
    edited May 2013
    Pacer rebounding won this game. Not the refs, albeit refs helped a tiny bit :)
    edited May 2013
    newcombe wrote: »
    Pacer rebounding won this game. Not the refs, albeit refs helped a tiny bit :)

yup

tremendous offensive rebounding % in this series
  • TexasHookEmTexasHookEm Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    you're right about the travel on Wade, just a terrible call.

Can someone explain this one to me, not trying to be argumentative just dont know the finer points of the rules. It seemed to me wade caught the ball and took two steps without dribbling, which I thought was a travel (Not talking about the stepback, talking about before when he initially got the ball). Also, I thought the stepback was only legal as you are picking up your dribble, is it really legal to pick up your dribble then do the stepback?
    edited May 2013
    it was like a jump stop to me and how that is treated as a non travel. he certainly didn't travel prior to the step back nor did he afterwards per how the nba handles these calls.
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    look at the slow-mo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nrFRnP_vcs

'It's difficult to tell'
    edited May 2013
    bottom line is the nba rarely calls travels on blatant violations so this was a bad one to pick a time to nickel and dime. Interested to see how this heat team comes out in game 5. I assume fast and furious (sorry for the idiotic pun as I am trying to make a point).
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    When the ref called the travel, my first thought was, I really hope the replay shows an obvious travel, after seeing the replay, I couldn't believe the ref made the call. Like Newc said, they rarely call travelling otherwise the whistles would be non-stop. If you're going to make that call at that point of the game, it has to be an easy call, not a call where you look at a slow-mo replay and like Obi said "it's difficult to tell". Personally, I feel that in the last two mins the refs should swallow their whistles and let the players decide the outcome, only call the stuff that's blatant, last night the refs interjected themselves by a highly ? foul on Lebron, and the Wade travel. And I would be saying the same thing had those same two calls gone against Indy players.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited June 2013

Sorry Taco, they've now played six games and the Heat has not gotten the type of calls you would expect them to get, if anything the Pacers are getting the benefit of the close calls. While Indy was clearly the better team tonight and deserve the W, there were a bunch of bad calls go against Miami. You have one game left to prove your conspiracy theory, we'll see what happens in game seven.
    edited June 2013
    as an indy backer in this series I'm glad I was wrong

as you said still one more game to go tho
    edited June 2013
    as an indy backer in this series I'm glad I was wrong

as you said still one more game to go tho

Now that it's a lose once and go home series, I would be shocked if the Pacers get a fair shake @Miami. Pacers San Antonio= worst case scenario for stern
    edited June 2013
    pacers grizz would have been worst case for him so at least he avoided that one
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited June 2013
    You guys make it seem like if Indy wins and plays SA the entire league will have to fold, of course Heat-Spurs is what everybody wants, but let's be real here, Pacers-Spurs obv wouldn't bring in high ratings, but should that occur I have a feeling the NBA will still be around for a while, besides like I said earlier, there have been six games and not one of those have the Heat benefitted from some "curious calls", if anything those calls have gone the Pacers way. I'm not saying I don't believe in conspiracy theory's regarding the NBA (I'll always believe the league rigged the lottery to get Patrick Ewing to the Knicks, and there was a playoff game some years ago with the Lakers and Kings where it looked like the fix was in for the Lakers) I just haven't seen anything like that in this series.
    edited June 2013
    there have been six games and not one of those have the Heat benefited from some "curious calls", if anything those calls have gone the Pacers way

I think this series has been a wash in terms of calls, although the Pacers got more in game 6. We will see how game 7 works out, where a loss means no more LeBron to watch. Having this thing go 7 is far from the worst case scenario for the league, but the odds of Miami not getting at the very least the more crucial calls are about as high as Kobe and Derek Fisher not getting every call back when they were both lakers.
    edited June 2013
    You guys make it seem like if Indy wins and plays SA the entire league will have to fold, ... and there was a playoff game some years ago with the Lakers and Kings where it looked like the fix was in for the Lakers) I just haven't seen anything like that in this series.

Don't think anyone is saying that. All I'm saying is when a big market team is on the brink of elimination, officiating almost always seems to tilt in their favor. Your example from above is the most extreme example of this.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited June 2013
    I think this series has been a wash in terms of calls, although the Pacers got more in game 6. We will see how game 7 works out, where a loss means no more LeBron to watch. Having this thing go 7 is far from the worst case scenario for the league, but the odds of Miami not getting at the very least the more crucial calls are about as high as Kobe and Derek Fisher not getting every call back when they were both lakers.

That's sort of my point, six games played and the Heat have not gotten the calls go their way like you would expect. Indy got some calls go their way last night like you said, but also the end of game four, Lebron's sixth foul and the travel on Wade, If Stern has his hand in this then those two calls don't happen. If I'm Frank Vogel I would have been expecting Miami to get all the calls before the series started, but right now I have to think he's thrilled (and maybe even a little surprised) by how the series has been officiated.