Betting Talk

Aaron Craft is my hero.

BigItaly42BigItaly42 Senior Member
edited March 2013 in Sports Betting
I lose my bet, but who cares. GO BUCKEYES!!!!

Comments

• Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    The kid screws you if you bet on him by missing free throws that could have taken the heart out of Iowa St and really opened the game up and then he sends Iowa St backers home by making a three with nothing to lose miss over-time make win. But on the line the kid couldn't breath and now he's a hero. Really.
  • TheRebTheReb Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    The kid screws you if you bet on him by missing free throws that could have taken the heart out of Iowa St and really opened the game up and then he sends Iowa St backers home by making a three with nothing to lose miss over-time make win. But on the line the kid couldn't breath and now he's a hero. Really.

Not to mention the missed layup that rolled off the rim when they were up 8, Cyclones ripped off 8 straight after that with Craft helping them along the way, this sequence does not make a hero, rather could of made the goat as he almost single handedly brought IA.ST. back in the game:

5:35 59-69 Aaron Craft Turnover.
    5:35 Melvin Ejim Steal. 59-69
    5:25 Tyrus McGee made Layup. Assisted by Korie Lucious. 61-69
    4:55 61-69 Aaron Craft missed Layup.
    4:55 Korie Lucious Defensive Rebound. 61-69
    4:43 61-69 Foul on Shannon Scott
    4:43 Will Clyburn made Free Throw. 62-69
    4:43 Will Clyburn made Free Throw. 63-69
    4:40 Foul on Bubu Palo 63-69
    4:40 63-69 Aaron Craft missed Free Throw.
    4:40 Georges Niang Defensive Rebound. 63-69
    4:32 Tyrus McGee made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Korie Lucious. 66-69
    4:07 Foul on Korie Lucious 66-69
    4:07 66-69 Aaron Craft missed Free Throw.
    4:07 Georges Niang Defensive Rebound. 66-69
    3:53 Korie Lucious made Layup. 68-69
    3:53 68-69 Foul on Deshaun Thomas
    3:53 Official TV Timeout.
    3:53 Korie Lucious made Free Throw. 69-69
  • jammerjammer Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    BigItaly42 wrote: »

He took a big charge as well, although that was a tough call. That was the only 3 he took in the game. Ballsy, you miss and you go to OT against a team that seemed to be on a roll.
    edited March 2013
    TheReb wrote: »
    Not to mention the missed layup that rolled off the rim when they were up 8, Cyclones ripped off 8 straight after that with Craft helping them along the way, this sequence does not make a hero, rather could of made the goat as he almost single handedly brought IA.ST. back in the game:

5:35 59-69 Aaron Craft Turnover.
    5:35 Melvin Ejim Steal. 59-69
    5:25 Tyrus McGee made Layup. Assisted by Korie Lucious. 61-69
    4:55 61-69 Aaron Craft missed Layup.
    4:55 Korie Lucious Defensive Rebound. 61-69
    4:43 61-69 Foul on Shannon Scott
    4:43 Will Clyburn made Free Throw. 62-69
    4:43 Will Clyburn made Free Throw. 63-69
    4:40 Foul on Bubu Palo 63-69
    4:40 63-69 Aaron Craft missed Free Throw.
    4:40 Georges Niang Defensive Rebound. 63-69
    4:32 Tyrus McGee made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Korie Lucious. 66-69
    4:07 Foul on Korie Lucious 66-69
    4:07 66-69 Aaron Craft missed Free Throw.
    4:07 Georges Niang Defensive Rebound. 66-69
    3:53 Korie Lucious made Layup. 68-69
    3:53 68-69 Foul on Deshaun Thomas
    3:53 Official TV Timeout.
    3:53 Korie Lucious made Free Throw. 69-69

Jeez- if you are going to take just 2 minutes of a game, yeah anyone could suck. Look at the whole game. He missed a few 1 and 1's, but overall played solid.
  • BigItaly42BigItaly42 Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Anyone can hate on a few plays. Aaron Craft gives his team ample opportunity to win each and every game with his hustle, defense, and lateral quickness. Yes, he missed a few free throws, but without him playing hard not only in this game, but throughout the season, the Buckeyes aren't here to begin with. Please find me a better defensive point guard in college basketball, then take the time to criticize Craft. He is the heart and soul of this team, and there isn't a coach in the world who wouldn't want him playing PG for them. Haters are gonna hate. Aaron Craft is incredible. His offensive game has always been a weakness, but he has significantly improved.
  • tribecalledjefftribecalledjeff Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Anyone can hate on a few plays. Aaron Craft gives his team ample opportunity to win each and every game with his hustle, defense, and lateral quickness. Yes, he missed a few free throws, but without him playing hard not only in this game, but throughout the season, the Buckeyes aren't here to begin with. Please find me a better defensive point guard in college basketball, then take the time to criticize Craft. He is the heart and soul of this team, and there isn't a coach in the world who wouldn't want him playing PG for them. Haters are gonna hate. Aaron Craft is incredible. His offensive game has always been a weakness, but he has significantly improved.

Agree. Craft could play on my team anytime.
    edited March 2013
    jammer wrote: »
    Jeez- if you are going to take just 2 minutes of a game, yeah anyone could suck. Look at the whole game. He missed a few 1 and 1's, but overall played solid.

You're missing the point, he's their Pt. guard/floor leader...it's the time mgmt element as the floor general as well...up 10 with 5 to go, that 1:42 sequence is where he is suppose to put the game away, not let them back in, it's the most critical 5 minutes for the point guard, make your FT's and don't turn the ball over, while taking clock down with a dd lead. The only reason he was a "hero" was because he let it get to that point/situation.
    edited March 2013
    You're missing the point, he's their Pt. guard/floor leader...it's the time mgmt element as the floor general as well...up 10 with 5 to go, that 1:42 sequence is where he is suppose to put the game away, not let them back in, it's the most critical 5 minutes for the point guard, make your FT's and don't turn the ball over, while taking clock down with a dd lead. The only reason he was a "hero" was because he let it get to that point/situation.

No- you're missing my point- so the other 38 minutes of great defense and hustle, making 6-7 free throw's and 5-10 shots, and overall floor leadership, that helped to put them in that situation, doesn't count??? Just the 2 minutes he missed a few 1 and 1's and had a turnover, that is all that counts?
    edited March 2013
    No- you're missing my point- so the other 38 minutes of great defense and hustle, making 6-7 free throw's and 5-10 shots, and overall floor leadership, that helped to put them in that situation, doesn't count??? Just the 2 minutes he missed a few 1 and 1's and had a turnover, that is all that counts?

He got three calls in his favor, the charge taking the layup away, and two phantom calls to put him on the line. Look, I'm indifferent to Craft or the Buckeyes as far as he as a player or them as a team, in fact I had the side and felt their "vaunted D" would keep the cyclones on a what was a virtual home court from covering. As far as him as a player and having him on my team, maybe on the playground and at the collegiate level but certainly not at the next level, I can think of many others I would have at my point. To answer your question, again those are the most important minutes of the game for a point guard, and if you can't understand that I don't think there is much more I can say. GL going forward
    edited March 2013
    He got three calls in his favor, the charge taking the layup away, and two phantom calls to put him on the line. Look, I'm indifferent to Craft or the Buckeyes as far as he as a player or them as a team, in fact I had the side and felt their "vaunted D" would keep the cyclones on a what was a virtual home court from covering. As far as him as a player and having him on my team, maybe on the playground and at the collegiate level but certainly not at the next level, I can think of many others I would have at my point. To answer your question, again those are the most important minutes of the game for a point guard, and if you can't understand that I don't think there is much more I can say. GL going forward

Exactly which minutes are the most important? Please rank these in order for me. Thx.

1st 2 minutes of the game
    last 2 minutes of 1h
    first 2 minutes of 2h
    random 2 minutes that were picked out after the fact by you because he missed 2 free throws and had a turnover during that stretch
    last 2 minutes of the game

i'll also accept: "all minutes are equal in value."
    edited March 2013

You are neglecting the fact that he was called for two reach in calls where he barely made contact at all, and once after getting the ball. Calls go both ways. You obviously haven't seen the kid play much. You said there are many others you would rather have. Name one.
    edited March 2013
    You are neglecting the fact that he was called for two reach in calls where he barely made contact at all, and once after getting the ball. Calls go both ways. You obviously haven't seen the kid play much. You said there are many others you would rather have. Name one.

In terms of the college game: Trey Burke. But that's the end of the list.

If you're talking about the NBA, the list is long.
    edited March 2013
    I'm obviously not talking about the NBA. Strictly college. Every team in the Big Ten hates playing against him. That alone says a lot.
    edited March 2013
    Exactly which minutes are the most important? Please rank these in order for me. Thx.

last 2 minutes of 1h
    first 2 minutes of 2h
    random 2 minutes that were picked out after the fact by you because he missed 2 free throws and had a turnover during that stretch

Where there is the most pressure, at the end of the game and you're the most important player on the floor for your team...I would expect it from a freshman not as much from Craft.
    edited March 2013
    Where there is the most pressure, at the end of the game and you're the most important player on the floor for your team...I would expect it from a freshman not as much from Craft.

Expect what??

If that's your argument then you have to say that he played great because he made the 3.
    The score in the last two minutes was Craft 4 - Iowa St 0 and he drew a key charge.
    The score in the last 2:35 was Craft 7 - Iowa St 2.

The right answer is that they are all equally important. Any player can look great or awful if you isolate the right 2 minutes. It's the body of work that matters.
    edited March 2013

last 2 minutes of 1h
    first 2 minutes of 2h

i'll also accept: "all minutes are equal in value."

Exactly- easy to pick out a 2 minute stretch and criticize.
    edited March 2013
    if that's your argument then you have to say that he played great because he made the 3.
    The score in the last two minutes was craft 4 - iowa st 0 and he drew a key charge.
    The score in the last 2:35 was craft 7 - iowa st 2.

The right answer is that they are all equally important. Any player can look great or awful if you isolate the right 2 minutes. It's the body of work that matters.

bingo
    edited March 2013
    He took a big charge as well, although that was a tough call. That was the only 3 he took in the game. Ballsy, you miss and you go to OT against a team that seemed to be on a roll.

my point no dry throat when it's OT or Win, Don't mind me just venting 9 out of 10 x's they pull away easy win.
    edited March 2013
    Expect what??

If that's your argument then you have to say that he played great because he made the 3.
    The score in the last two minutes was Craft 4 - Iowa St 0 and he drew a key charge.
    The score in the last 2:35 was Craft 7 - Iowa St 2

Expect him to handle the pressure that comes with the point in the last 5 minutes of a BIG game where everyone knows who is going to have the ball in their hands at CRUNCH time. Who is the most likely to go to the line, when their team is up and the other team is playing catch up...like OT said, the pressure was not on the 3 jacked up or they go to OT, it was on the FT's in the last 5 min. of the game. Can the kid play great defense, absolutely. "Body of work", very subjective topic IMO...how many MLB players have a great "body of work" only to have huge letdowns when it matters the most in post season...does an A Rod come to mind, etc.
    edited March 2013
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    my point no dry throat when it's OT or Win, Don't mind me just venting 9 out of 10 x's they pull away easy win.

I understand, but you can't say no pressure or nothing to lose, unless you tell me they are guaranteed to win in OT. OT is a 50/50 prop I would think.
  • buckeyesbuckeyes Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    In terms of the college game: Trey Burke. But that's the end of the list.

If you're talking about the NBA, the list is long.

Hell, you can even ask Burke how much he likes playing Craft.
    edited March 2013

That's the point when it's on the line the leaders step up. you can't miss FT's and he also holds the ball a little long on the perimeter. Don't forget the free throws hit the front rim that happens only when you can't breath. Congrats to Ohio St nothing personal it just pisses me off that there making this kid into a hero because hit made a nothing to lose shot.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited March 2013

I dunno, but there's something wrong with this statement on a gambling board.
    edited March 2013
    I understand, but you can't say no pressure or nothing to lose, unless you tell me they are guaranteed to win in OT. OT is a 50/50 prop I would think.

No but you can't tell me that there's not less pressure tied at that point then trailing by one.
    edited March 2013
    Expect him to handle the pressure that comes with the point in the last 5 minutes of a BIG game where everyone knows who is going to have the ball in their hands at CRUNCH time. Who is the most likely to go to the line, when their team is up and the other team is playing catch up...like OT said, the pressure was not on the 3 jacked up or they go to OT, it was on the FT's in the last 5 min. of the game. Can the kid play great defense, absolutely. "Body of work", very subjective topic IMO...how many MLB players have a great "body of work" only to have huge letdowns when it matters the most in post season...does an A Rod come to mind, etc.

How can you tell me that you think the last few minutes are the most important, then look at a game where he outscored the opposition 7-2 by himself in the last 2:30, and tell me that he didn't handle crunch time well??? That's just logically ridiculous. Either the last few minutes are the most important or they aren't. You can't have it both ways.
    edited March 2013
    Ronbets wrote: »
    I dunno, but there's something wrong with this statement on a gambling board.

I guess I have to clarify. I never want to lose a bet, and I'd make that one again 9 out of ten times. As a Buckeye fan, I don't care about the bet., I'm excited about the win.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    I like Aaron Craft, I think he's a very good player and I love the way he defends. No chance at playing at the next level imo, but as far as college goes, he's easily one of the top PG's around. How could anyone not like the way he plays the game?
    edited March 2013
    how many MLB players have a great "body of work" only to have huge letdowns when it matters the most in post season...does an A Rod come to mind, etc.

I don't really want to open this can of worms, but there's tremendous sample size issues there. ARod's post season numbers aren't even that bad. Jeter's post season numbers aren't even that good, and yet he's considered Mr. Clutch somehow. Remember when Lebron James couldn't play in the clutch? "Clutch" is little more than short term variance.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited March 2013

Jammer, you mis-typed, here let me fix it for you. All you have to do is replace the word "tough" with the word "bullshit"
    edited March 2013
    kane wrote: »
    Jammer, you mis-typed, here let me fix it for you. All you have to do is replace the word "tough" with the word "bullshit"

If it was such a bullshit call, explain to me how there was no backlash about it during the game? Everyone said it was a great play, then afterward it is getting blown into a huge production. Anyone who saw that in real time and honestly thought it was DEFINITIVE bullshit is full of it.