Betting Talk

OT-Parity in NCAAB

BigItaly42BigItaly42 Senior Member
edited March 2013 in Sports Betting
I was having a conversation with a friend who was trying to convince me that nobody wants to see a cinderella win a tournament game, and that people only watch the tourney to see the "10 teams who are worth a damn". Obviously, my friend listens to too much Colin Coward, and is just an ignorant elitist. So I looked up the Final Four over the past few years, and there have been 15 different Final Four teams in the past five years alone. I think that since the NBA rule change, and more players are one and done each year, it makes the tournament better than ever. Obviously I'll never have a perfect bracket, but I find myself cheering for the little guys each year, because I would much rather see a Final Four with teams like VCU, George Mason against a Duke or Kansas than to see four elite programs play for the 80th time. Anyone else with me on this, or am I just crazy?

Comments

• kanekane Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    I love watching David knock off Goliath. Watching that G Mason run a few years back was awesome. I understand why people want to see the big boys against each other, but personally I love seeing upsets. FGCU to the final four baby!
  • BigItaly42BigItaly42 Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Exactly. To me, that's what the tournament is all about. The big boys have had their chance to shine, you won't see a team like George Mason make another run like that for a long time, maybe ever.
  • SnakeheadSnakehead Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    I like to see the little guys who are coached well and bust their ass for 40 minutes beat the elite schools who think they can give less than 100% each game and fall behind early because they underestimated their opponent. I just hate cocky players/teams with super-sized egos.
  • blueblue Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    I like to see the little guys win also. On the other hand, i was at the George Mason final four, and that was about the worst final four to watch that i can recall. I think the little guys have come along way since George Mason made it. I think teams like Butler (not this year), VCU, and St Louis are teams that can actually win the whole thing. The consistency among those three? Good solid defense- either through physicality or speed. Michigan is a bad matchup for VCU. I think St Louis can make it to Atlanta this year. LaSalle and Wichita St could also advance far this year.
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited March 2013
    blue wrote: »
    I like to see the little guys win also. On the other hand, i was at the George Mason final four, and that was about the worst final four to watch that i can recall. I think the little guys have come along way since George Mason made it. I think teams like Butler (not this year), VCU, and St Louis are teams that can actually win the whole thing. The consistency among those three? Good solid defense- either through physicality or speed. Michigan is a bad matchup for VCU. I think St Louis can make it to Atlanta this year. LaSalle and Wichita St could also advance far this year.

Anyone who doesn't turn the ball over is a bad matchup for VCU. #31 in def eff, 257th if you take out turnover possessions. All their games vs efficient teams were either losses or close wins(Stl, La Salle, St joes, Richmond, Temple).